Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 19th, 2017, 09:02 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Where to go in february

Looking for suggestions. We plan on taking a month this upcoming feb to go visit new parts of the country

Me, wife, 3 and 1.5yr old and dog

Needs to be relatively warmer (compared to northeast)
Some sort of town with restaurants, parks, etc
Really looking for outdoor activities (but realizing Our hikes will be 2-3hrs max wit two young kids so we're not hiking the whole Grand Canyon here)

Can me one or multiple places

So far my thoughts are San Diego, st George Utah, Prescott/Sedona/Scottsdale AZ

Any yays or nayes or places I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

St George UT is a good base to build from, however I want to suggest you also look at Kenab UT as an alternative since it's closer to many parks. It worked well for us a few years ago.
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:39 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
February in southern Utah can still be fairly cold, especially at elevation. I have seen pics of the parks with snow on the ground, and want to visit in that time frame. Oddly enough having lived in Utah for 20+ years I have never made it to Zion or Bryce.

Good luck with your decision.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2017, 10:04 PM
caj13
Carl
D-90 SW # 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
St George UT is a good base to build from, however I want to suggest you also look at Kenab UT as an alternative since it's closer to many parks. It worked well for us a few years ago.
Kenabs at 5000 ft, going to be cold and windy, and good chance of snow in Feb. St George
is about 3000 fdt, and while it will have some nice days in Feb, it can also be cold and nasty at times]

For best odds of nicer weather you are going to head eather further south, or lower and toward the coast
Old September 19th, 2017, 10:18 PM
badvibes
Jeff
1991 RRC

Registry
Just spit ballin' here...

Average Weather in February in Scottsdale Arizona, United States. In Scottsdale, the month of February is characterized by rising daily high temperatures, with daily highs increasing by 5F, from 68F to 73F over the course of the month, and rarely exceeding 83F or dropping below 59F.

Sedona temps look about 61 daytime average and mid 40s at night. Arizona would be better weather that time of year than most other places. AZLRO is holding their 2017 rally outside the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in November. You could base out of the Phoenix area and cover a lot of Az.
Old September 19th, 2017, 10:24 PM
caj13
Carl
D-90 SW # 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post
February in southern Utah can still be fairly cold, especially at elevation. I have seen pics of the parks with snow on the ground, and want to visit in that time frame. Oddly enough having lived in Utah for 20+ years I have never made it to Zion or Bryce.

Good luck with your decision.
so let me get this straight: A guy with XplorUtah as his user name has not made it to 2 of the most spectacular parks in the USA, right in your backyard, 4 hours south, for 20 years?

Man, you really need to do the tourist southern swing, you can hit both of those, then swing up through canyonland and arches while you are at it.
Old September 19th, 2017, 10:44 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Will look at it. A little cold or snow isn't horrible. But what we don't want is freezing rain and just general crap for a month straight (we could stay home for that!). However as others suggested by others Arizona may be a better average temp and possible a weekend trip to the Utah parks. Appreciate the input
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:18 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

I love Scottsdale in the winter. Kids would probably have much more fun in San Diego, especially if you added Disneyland.
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:23 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
There's only one answer for February travel, Winter Romp in Maine.
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:51 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Taking the month off? You French? Lol, jk.

Sorry. Shameless plug for the best commercial ever!

But in all seriousness, If you are considering heading all the way west, it's really hard to beat the Pacific NorthBest! It won't be warm, but far from the real cold that you would otherwise know. And when it isn't raining, it's absolutely breathtaking, and the diversity of topography is second to none!
Old September 20th, 2017, 05:36 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Taking the month off? You French? Lol, jk. Sorry. Shameless plug for the best commercial ever! But in all seriousness, If you are considering heading all the way west, it's really hard to beat the Pacific NorthBest! It won't be warm, but far from the real cold that you would otherwise know. And when it isn't raining, it's absolutely breathtaking, and the diversity of topography is second to none!
Ha. We both have the ability to work from "home", so I would imagine we would still work some. Maybe 50% of the time

I really want to do the PNW but I spoke to some folks who lived there and while the cities may be bearable (Seattle, Portland, etc) anything outside of it in the mtns is going to be cold and snowy. Plus daylight hours will be less than further south. It may be more of a summer time destination.
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
There's only one answer for February travel, Winter Romp in Maine.
Exactly! The Maine coast is beautiful in the winter. Hit Portland, base camp in Camden for Romp and go to Bar Harbor & see Acadia in the winter.

Or go to the Keys!
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:45 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
I am not a hiker but if I was Sedona would be a good spot.

Lots of nice places close by. Cool little "lost" towns. Jerome is built on the side of mountain where the main road is a switchback like a small old European town.

Although being that you are from Jersey you are going to be shocked at all the circle intersections they are putting.

And for those that have been there during road construction season I have this to say. I would love to be Bob. Bob's Barricades probably had about 10,000 construction signs between Scottsdale and Sedona. Probably a good business.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old September 20th, 2017, 08:50 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
I just got back from Vegas/Zion yesterday. Zion was incredibly beautiful.

You said you wanted to bring the dog. You fly with him/her? I would love to take mine places but feel horrible sticking him in the cargo hold for N number of hours. Especially when my ride out there was 2.5 hours late taking off, then had to make a medical emergency landing in New Mexico. He would have been stuck down there for at least an extra 4 hours.
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:12 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Looking for suggestions. We plan on taking a month this upcoming feb to go visit new parts of the country

Me, wife, 3 and 1.5yr old and dog

Needs to be relatively warmer (compared to northeast)
Some sort of town with restaurants, parks, etc
Really looking for outdoor activities (but realizing Our hikes will be 2-3hrs max wit two young kids so we're not hiking the whole Grand Canyon here)

Can me one or multiple places

So far my thoughts are San Diego, st George Utah, Prescott/Sedona/Scottsdale AZ

Any yays or nayes or places I should consider?
Australia or New Zealand would be pretty good in February.
Old September 20th, 2017, 03:57 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
I just got back from Vegas/Zion yesterday. Zion was incredibly beautiful. You said you wanted to bring the dog. You fly with him/her? I would love to take mine places but feel horrible sticking him in the cargo hold for N number of hours. Especially when my ride out there was 2.5 hours late taking off, then had to make a medical emergency landing in New Mexico. He would have been stuck down there for at least an extra 4 hours.
I would if I had to but I'll prob drive the cruiser to where ever we go with dog and wife will fly and meet us with kids a few days later

Been to Zion and love. Would go back in a heartbeat
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:53 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by caj13 View Post
so let me get this straight: A guy with XplorUtah as his user name has not made it to 2 of the most spectacular parks in the USA, right in your backyard, 4 hours south, for 20 years?

Man, you really need to do the tourist southern swing, you can hit both of those, then swing up through canyonland and arches while you are at it.
Hahaha, yeah plenty of Moab, west desert, Canyonlands, Oregon, Colorado, even AZ and MT over the years.

Then camping buddies settled down, had babies, got adult jobs...life.

I did get out to Dinosaur Monument this June. And the plan was to get down south for a week this fall, that is not looking good. Haven't done anything this year...not happy about that. May make Moab in November. Holding onto that...
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:01 PM
DashingD90
Seiryn
1994 D90 NAS

Registry
Hawaii's pretty nice that time of year! Plus I could set you guys up with a really nice deal on a rental car if you come to Oahu.
Old September 21st, 2017, 07:41 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Hawaii is a hell of a drive! Logistics with the dog, kids, and still trying to work east coast hours may be too much....
Old September 21st, 2017, 08:22 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IMHO, you'll get bored of San Diego in 3 days, especially in March when the water is frigid and the air is chilly. If you're a foodie, then you could make it a couple of more days. Maybe.

A month is a hella long time Four corners is your best bet IMHO.

Another alternative to soak a month is Alaska. But Alaska in March is not warm, not by a long shot. Your broadband for work will be difficult to find.

Hope you're not expecting good LTE availability in four corners. Most of that area has zero cell signal on ATT, worse on Sprint. Broadband in the cities is ok. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are your best friends.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat