Wheel Alignment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 11th, 2013, 09:36 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Wheel Alignment

So last night I stopped at two different chain shops to see about getting a wheel alignment. Both turned me away since the 83 110 wasn't in their computer, and would take my word for the specs being the same as a 93 Defender 110 since it was right hand drive.

I know others have to be getting wheel alignments so who have you been successful with? I'm going to try the mom and pop types when I get a chance but most of them close before I get home from work.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
The dealership should be able to do it, although it will be more expensive.
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:48 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The only thing that is adjustable is Toe. You can set that with a tape measure. Caster is set by the radius arms, and Camber is set by the design of the swivelball.

-Jeff
What he said ^.

You can essentially just adjust your tie-rod and drag-link to set your alignment (and yes, literally with a tape measure).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

deleted---seems already answered...
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
And to assure you, the factory manual procedure is to use a tape measure.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:08 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I know others have to be getting wheel alignments so who have you been successful with? I'm going to try the mom and pop types when I get a chance but most of them close before I get home from work.
I take my workshop manual with me and show them the alignment specs in the manual. Since alignment specs for a 1960 109 isn't in their machine they dial the machine per the factory manual.

What I found to be interesting is that the factory specs for Series trucks is tighter than the specs for many newish cars. Dialing the alignment in correctly made a huge difference in the handling of the truck at speed.

I would never trust a do it yourself alignment to get the truck within spec.

Old December 11th, 2013, 11:41 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I didn't think to take the manual with me I'll give that a shot. I could try it myself but its awfully damn cold out and I would probably not do it any better than it is now.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old December 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I had a shop do it on a very expensive laser machine and frankly it was terrible.

I did it myself with a jack and some string and it's much better.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 11th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I had a shop do it on a very expensive laser machine and frankly it was terrible.

What was bad about it? Using an alignment machine isn't exactly rocket science.
Old December 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
What was bad about it? Using an alignment machine isn't exactly rocket science.
steering wheel wasn't straight and pulled like a bitch ... they just got it majorly wrong or set it up as a jeep!
Old December 11th, 2013, 12:55 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
steering wheel wasn't straight and pulled like a bitch ... they just got it majorly wrong or set it up as a jeep!
Did you circle back for a refund?
Old December 11th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:

This is exactly how I did mine after researching different methods. I found this one on youtube, and it worked like a charm, easy to do and is damn near spot on.

you use virtually any string on spool that you can pull tight (kite string, yard string, etc). put one lift jack in front of each tire a couple feet in front of it. Tie the string to one jack at hub height, then run the string along the front and rear hubs, around the back, and then along the hubs on the opposite side. Tie the string to the other jack. Adjust both jacks left or right so that the string on each side touches the front sidewall on the front tire for that side. If you parked straight, then your wheels are aligned when you see the string on each side of the D touch both front and rear sidewalsl on each tire (4x touches per side). If your front tires are not aligned, then align the passenger side (where the tie rod and drag link both connect) by turning the steering wheel until the string touches both front and rear sidewall on the right front tire. On the opposite drag (driver) side, you should only see one side wall touch (either front or rear sidewall). Adjust the tie rod out or in until the string touches both. Recheck the passenger side alignment. when string hits both fronts twice, you are aligned.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Did you circle back for a refund?
of course ... i couldn't leave ... ;-)
Old December 11th, 2013, 02:58 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

x3 on the string method!
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:06 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I found a small shop with this grouchy old bastard that owns it. He said no problem, only downside is he wants it left overnight so it can defrost first.

Tried 2 chain store types told one it was 93 Defender and they said no problem. I need to look and see if the specs are the same aside from the steering wheel placement.

I thought about doing the string method but it's so damn cold working in the driveway right now, that I think I would get in a hurry and screw it up.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:11 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I personally think this is one of the easiest jobs on a Defender, right behind changing fluids. As I know it, there are three steps, one is centering the steering box, correcting play, and then setting the alignment.

I would be surprised if any shop short of an independent shop familiar with Defenders/Discos would do the first two steps correctly if at all.
Old December 18th, 2013, 08:15 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Go online and search your local sports car/ricer groups and see where they take their cars. They find all the places that'll align it to whatever you want.

Definitely search for local Subaru Clubs. My STi used to get out of alignment all the friggen time.
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

If you don't want to do it yourself, have you asked them to set it to NAS spec? It's the same, IIRC.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:50 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
This is exactly how I did mine after researching different methods. I found this one on youtube, and it worked like a charm, easy to do and is damn near spot on.
If memory serves the toe in is supposed to be within 3/32". I've always wondered how people can get within factory spec with a string and chalk when a chalk line is wider that the toe in tolerance.

I guess the proof is to get on the freeway, take it up to 70 MPH and let go of the steering wheel.

My laser aligned Dormobile is very stable at 75 MPH.

Old December 19th, 2013, 07:41 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I got it aligned today, just told them it was 93 Defender 110. Tracks straight and true now. It also has lost its tendency to want to commit suicide by pulling hard left into oncoming traffic

Also got the MT's mounted up on the RRC 5 spokes and on the 110.

Before:

After:

Unknown Author

716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
alignment, wheel