Whats the most boneheaded move you've ever done while wrenching? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 19th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
The most bonehead move... Buy a Rover
And you done it 8 times?
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2013, 02:58 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
Shearing off bolts that connect the tank guard to the crossmember. Now need a new crossmember for several reasons.
It takes many many hours of drilling.... But you can get them out.... No you're not alone.... (and yes, you'll break drill bit in it and that'll help take even longer to get that stuff out!). Just don't use any extractor or you're almost doomed.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:04 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post

And you done it 8 times?
Holy shit... That many?!?!?!

I lost count. LMAO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Install cheap wheel spacers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel spacers.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	84564  
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
The most bonehead move... Buy a Rover
Lol! X2
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Slow learner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
And you done it 8 times?
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
It takes many many hours of drilling.... But you can get them out.... No you're not alone.... (and yes, you'll break drill bit in it and that'll help take even longer to get that stuff out!). Just don't use any extractor or you're almost doomed.
This is a pointless exercise. Get some square pieces of half inch steel, drill and tap, and cut off the old and weld on the new. Drilling 12.9 metric bolts is insane.
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:53 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
This is a pointless exercise. Get some square pieces of half inch steel, drill and tap, and cut off the old and weld on the new. Drilling 12.9 metric bolts is insane.
At that time, I did not want to mess with my X-member.... But after finding out later that it was rusting through (from the inside out, just like any other D90 X-member....), I would/should have done this! [Now.... welding upside down would still be interesting! ]

------ Follow up post added November 19th, 2013 04:59 PM ------

So many bonehead moves.... Are you really wanting to force us all to ridicule ourselves?

Went to home depot one winter evening, bought a few 8ft long (or whatever the standard size is) pieces of wood. Put them in my soft-top D90. They did not quite fit on top of the center console, so I place them on top of the dashboard. In the back, they did not quite fit inside the truck, so I opened the rear door and while holding them just above the rear door, I closed the door. Apparently, they also did not clear the tire....
Anyway.... got the windshield seal replaced at the same time as the glass. Not sure if that qualifies as "wrenching".

So a few wrenching ones:
- after I replaced the valley gasket on the 3.9L V8, the engine would not start. I figured I had screwed something badly (first "major" maintenance item I ever did on that truck)..... After counting how many pennies I had saved to buy a new engine, I came to my senses and looked for wires that were not connected. Found one going to the coil with a very loose connector on it. Plugged it back in and it fired right up.

- the disco made a clunking noise when making left turns. I figured the bushings needed to be replaced and did not think twice about it. Drove on it for a while, got a complete set of bushings from AB. Then at some point, I opened the passenger door and removed a bottle of water from the floor. Bushings are still in the bag, clunking noise is gone.

- recently did work on my rear axle (replaced wheel bearings). I had some noise left when the shock bushing was dying on me (well... dead really). I also had a vibration on the rear axle because I installed a rear diff protection plate and could never get it to fit snuggling to attach the top plate properly. Anyway, finally got to go back to the rear shock, undid my wheel and figured out that the mud shield was actually vibrating a lot due to the caliper bolts being barely threaded in..... Drove the truck 500+ miles with this....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:31 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
[QUOTE=MonLand;484257]
So many bonehead moves.... Are you really wanting to force us all to ridicule ourselves?

Old November 20th, 2013, 11:34 AM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
Probably not the most boneheaded thing I have ever done, but the most recent was while installing the Mantec Swing Away tire carrier - after discovering the supplied fittings bag was missing bits and pieces, I made not one, but three trips to the auto parts store... should have laid it all out and checked against the parts list, but I was too anxious to get it done.

That wasn't the worse - I had a hell of a time getting one of the backing plates to lineup with the holes I had drilled, so after several dry-fittings and a little modification to the plate I finally got it to fit. Gooped everything up with Black RTV and put it together... proudly I got my camera to take a picture which was when I realized that due to all the dry fitting I had laid all the washers to the side and they were still sitting on the bench. Crap!
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:52 PM
dmurrell
David Murrell
1973 Series 3 - SW - Pansy

Registry
Did I mention the time I was removing the exhaust system on my '70 Bronco with an acetylene torch and caught the plastic gas line on fire? At least it was near the engine and gave me time to get the fire extinguisher before something major happened .....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat