What's the best to drive in? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 6th, 2005, 12:00 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

What's the best to drive in?

Got some snow here (You northern and mountain boys wouldn't call it that) and I drove to the grocery store and thought, there's nothing better to drive the D in than the snow. But then I thought, well the beach with the top off is pretty bad ass. And really, a nice trail ride in the mountains early spring is hard to beat, unless your talking autumn peak with a fleece on and the top off. Then of course there's the whole no top, no windows (no doors if you're Mike Hippert), and 3 feet deep in a mudhole.

So what would you say (since we're all from seperate places and use our trucks differently)?

My vote is on the beach around the first of September. Nobody else is there and the weather's just right to leave the top off and throw the bait in the water. Something about every time I am at the beach I can forget about work too.

Oh, and if you say rock crawling or mudding, what's second?

Follow-up Post:

Oh, and yeah, that's right, I used the D as a grocery getter today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2005, 12:57 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I love driving in harsh weather, floods, high winds, etc. but my favorite is snow storms in the mountains at night. I love how quiet it is without road humm or other vehicles and how bright everything is with the high beams. Cruising along on a white road with no road markings and the heater working properly is the best.
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:07 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I concur. There's nothing quite as fun as driving up into the mountains when it's dumping outside. It's even better with a belly full of great food, a dip of Copenhagen and some good tunes.

One of my favorite memories is driving from Cortez, CO to Telluride in one of these storms...6" of snow on the road before the plows went into action...pulled over and got out of the truck to make yellow snow and enjoy the quiet, watching the headlights shine through the flakes....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2005, 06:29 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I vote for a spring ride in the mountains - and I'd never ever take a car I cared anything about on the beach - that salty sand is a recipe for disaster. I took my motorcycle out on the beach at Fernandina once many years ago - wound up having to replace the spokes on both wheels because the salt had made the nipples freeze up on the spokes and you couldn't tighten them up. Seemed like a high price to pay for a half hour of fun....
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:23 AM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

I would say the Mountains/Hills as well. I used to have a house in Great Valley NY, driving up there in Western NY SKi country (Ellicottville) tops my list. Driving on snowy trails/roads when it is freezing cold and the heater is blowing motivates me to make the excruciating trek from Georgia or Florida each year. Speaking of which, I am always surprised at how well my 90 does on long road trips, hummin along all night long. Now, I'm re-thinking my trek up there this year, just might have to do it again.
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:55 AM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
After rock-crawling out west I would say the nicest time is driving in the snow in the mountains (which are noticeably lacking here in Illinois). There is something about driving a "real" Land Rover in inclimate conditions that makes you feel almost invulnerable, as though you are in your own moving fortress. If the windscreen leaks, or the heater isn't quite up to the task, or in the case of the old Series II, if you have to manually drive the windshield wipers to keep up with the precipitation, so much the better; a little personal battle with the elements only seems to keep me more connected with what's outside, as though I am part of everything, not just a sightseer passing through.
Old December 6th, 2005, 11:03 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I'll never forget my first ride after I bought my D90 back in March. My dad and I drove out of Denver east toward Kansas. On the way we listened to the Weather band and heard of snow ahead and in kansas tornado warnings. I remember vividly the windshield coated in ice and snow with just the small openings from the wipers and wind howling (some through the door seals ofcourse). The best part is when the wind blows right into the car you drop 5 mph at least, but its like an ice breaker, slow and steady and you know nothing will stop it. We made the entire 1500 mile trek back to Atlanta without seeing sunlight during the day for the entire trip through wind, snow, sleet, ice, tornado, thunderstorm. The idea of how invinceable the thing can be is really sort of awe inspiring in how it makes you feel that way as well.
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, deep-ish snow (6" or so) is the best for me also. Out in the peaceful countryside is just fantastically serene. Sometimes I just get to a really peacefull spot and soak it all in.

Beyond that, I also love those easy trails that are taking you places. Finding those secluded spots that people don't go to, no roads or other signs of civiliazation for miles, just you.... the truck... and the earth as god made it.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:45 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW
and I'd never ever take a car I cared anything about on the beach - that salty sand is a recipe for disaster. I took my motorcycle out on the beach at Fernandina once many years ago - wound up having to replace the spokes on both wheels because the salt had made the nipples freeze up on the spokes and you couldn't tighten them up. Seemed like a high price to pay for a half hour of fun....
Way I figure it I'm getting more sand and salt on my truck driving it on the roads in the winter than when I hit the beach with it. I always make sure to give it a proper washing afterwards and check everything important. Either way, why have it if you don't have fun with it?
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Actually, I'll have to agree with Jack on this one. I'll never drive something I care about on an ocean beach. For some reason, beach driving seems to be especially nasty on trucks. I don't know if it's because of a higher salt content or because it just get into driven up into so much stuff, but around here it seems to be brutal on the underside when people drive do it. I've seen trucks that were only 10 years old have to be junked due to frames rusting out and all sorts of other major corrosion issues.

Something like a cheap POS Wrangler or pick-up I have no problem with, but I'm keeping this Defender until I'm an old man if I have any say in the matter. This mean no beaches.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the beach is definately the worst environment for a Defender. I have taken mine down a few times and driven around on it but I do a pretty good job of douching out all the salt from the truck. I have seen a Defender 90 in wilmington NC over the years and the coastal living has really taken its toll on the truck. I dont think the beach is as bad as the north and all the salt and stuff that gets sprayed into every nook an cranny as you travel along in the salt covered roads. my .02$

an interesting thread. I like driving my defender anywhere anytime, perhaps one of my most favorite places to be.
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:38 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

There is nothing like beach driving, second would be early in the morning after a big snow storm and before the plow trucks..
Attached Images
File Type: bmp halfcabsnw2.bmp (297.8 KB, 97 views)
Old December 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Deep snow but driving on LSD. Ahhhh, LSD (Lake Shore Drive). Much as I love the moutains you gotta love the city at 4 am alone with the city at your side and the lake on the other...
Old December 6th, 2005, 06:20 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

The Red Desert of Wyoming, late summer late in the day when everything starts to turn that golden color. Silent freedom. I can drive as fast or as slow as I want and nobody cares.

I sure do like that quiet fresh snow though.
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:38 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

6+ inches of snow when no one else is out driving. About the only time this area doesn't have traffic!!
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old December 8th, 2005, 09:09 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Snow off pavement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1047.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	4492   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1026.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	4493  

Old December 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You guys and your driving in the harshest conditions lol!

I would much rather be driving with the top down on a warm sunny day! Sure driving in the snow is fun and all, but why the heck would anyone prefer that over a nice warm sunny day that you don't have to get all geared up for the cold?
Old December 8th, 2005, 09:33 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Because unlike you we have doors , tops, and heat : )
Old December 8th, 2005, 09:46 AM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

Awesome pictures Scott!!
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Rover- Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
I would much rather be driving with the top down on a warm sunny day! Sure driving in the snow is fun and all, but why the heck would anyone prefer that over a nice warm sunny day that you don't have to get all geared up for the cold?
I must agree, sunny and warm is more my favorite when driving my landy.
Hell, I havn't seen snow since leaving germany in 88.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat