Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:37 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
what's it worth barn find!

guys, I stubbled across an awesome 1966 88" series, safari roof, rover drive, solid frame, 30k original miles; documented, needs head gasket and tune up. this owner has had it the last 26yrs. wishy-washy on selling it but mentioned he is thinking about selling. looks great, it has ben parked in the barn for about 8-9 yrs. solid truck. he said he had it built for him. don't want to pay too much but hate to insult him. what did this go for 25 yrs ago????? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2011, 08:23 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Pictures?

I'm not sure it matters what he paid for it, but what he thinks it's worth, and the fact that it's been sitting and needs work. Does it even start/run? These trucks don't like to sit. Unless your plan is to restore it, expect to have to do more than the head gasket.
Old December 9th, 2011, 09:38 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
It will need about 5-6K worth of money just to get it roadworthy. That's paperwork and inspection, brakes, tires, fluids, maybe a head gasket, belts hoses, probably a tank clean out, a carb, tune up components, battery, bulbs, wiper motors cleaned, oils and lubricants, electrical sort out and a good vacuuming at minimum.
More likely you'll find corrosion and other decay that will require even more parts and refurb.
It's worth whatever you would consider core value for a restoration. Think like Rick on Pawn Stars...

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
the truck is not in shambles. i have seen alot worse. it's actually better than most out there aside from getting the engine fired up. it does need a rear axle seal, he was very upfront with me. all belts, hoses and tires are good no cracks or rot, battery looked like it was replaced recently, he mentioned everything electrical works. he said it wouldn't take much to get her up and going again(head). i don't have pictures.
Old December 9th, 2011, 10:31 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainviewrover View Post
the truck is not in shambles. i have seen alot worse. it's actually better than most out there aside from getting the engine fired up. it does need a rear axle seal, he was very upfront with me. all belts, hoses and tires are good no cracks or rot, battery looked like it was replaced recently, he mentioned everything electrical works. he said it wouldn't take much to get her up and going again(head). i don't have pictures.
If the tires are 9 years old, have them replaced regardless - it's not worth the safety factor (Series trucks are death traps enough to begin with : ). Pull the drum brakes as well and inspect, maybe replace. Check steering box thoroughly...I'm sure it's leaking. Hell, if you can stop and control the car everything else is secondary (from a safety standpoint). So tires, brakes, steering replaced/inspected...everything else fix as it breaks.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

I paid $2800 for my barn find. You can see it here:

http://eurorestorations.com/Euro_Res...Series_II.html

I know its not the same year and model and does not have the safari top but it was very original with zero rust. And I mean zero. My 95 D90 has 10 times as much rust as my SII. Anyway maybe this will give you an idea on pricing. You can add to the price I gave based on how much cleaner / better condition the one you're looking at is.

I agree with Bills list. I would expect to have to replace fuel system, brake system and rubber if its been sitting very long.
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierce View Post
I paid $2800 for my barn find. You can see it here:

http://eurorestorations.com/Euro_Res...Series_II.html

I know its not the same year and model and does not have the safari top but it was very original with zero rust. And I mean zero. My 95 D90 has 10 times as much rust as my SII. Anyway maybe this will give you an idea on pricing. You can add to the price I gave based on how much cleaner / better condition the one you're looking at is.

I agree with Bills list. I would expect to have to replace fuel system, brake system and rubber if its been sitting very long.
Two questions:
1) I think I saw that first pic (of the Series half in the snow) on the RN forum...had you posted it in the "Land Rovers Waiting To Be Rescued Thread"?
2) The 2nd Rover, the one you actually got, was that stuffed in a garage in like AZ or something? I seem to recall that truck too...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 9th, 2011, 11:34 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Plan to spend 3-5k getting it road worthy. But for $5k you can get a semi-decent driver.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:49 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Two questions:
1) I think I saw that first pic (of the Series half in the snow) on the RN forum...had you posted it in the "Land Rovers Waiting To Be Rescued Thread"?
2) The 2nd Rover, the one you actually got, was that stuffed in a garage in like AZ or something? I seem to recall that truck too...

You are correct on the 1st truck and I do have a thread started for my 59 on there but got side tracked with the 90. It is once again sitting neglected although this time in pieces waiting for a trip to the galvanizers. The truck originated in California and then in 1973 moved to spend its life in a barn in Colorado. There was a 5 year period where the truck sat outside between 73 and 78 which is were the majority of fading and the hail damage happened.
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:43 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I'll bet you will have to change the springs because they will have settled and it's been my experiance that the rubber including seals in everything mechanical disintegrate...just trying to be realistic but not to discourage you. Work out what you think it needs and what you are willing to spend to get it right. That will help with pricing. Good Luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat