Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 9th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
What's it worth?

I have the chance to buy the rear end of a 110 three door. It would include everything from the bulkhead back, from the wheels to the roof top. Running gear, frame, axle minus differential, tub, and roof. No door.

The end result would be a trailer. Sounds pretty fun but I'm not sure where to start the bargaining process.

Any ideas on the value of this setup?

Thanks
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Has it got front end damage? If not, then the real question is what's it worth to someone who would want to build a truck out of it.

But with damage, the value can't be more than the sum of the parts, although it can add up. In my case the breakdown was something like

- D90 frame with front damage - $100 self pickup
- 109 tub in pretty good shape (no tailgate) - $350 self pickup and lots of help from Bosman.
- NTO tailgate for RN - $100 special, but typically at least $150 i think
- Axle and suspension and wheels/tires - I had the wheels and I'm pretty sure I paid nothing or next to nothing for the axle and suspension (thanks to Ren Ching)
- 2 x 88" roof tops - $200

so that $800 - $1000 for the equivalent I'd say. Personally I think this is crazy money for it, but hey
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Ok thanks

He wants to keep everything in front of the tub bulkhead for his own project and I could get the rest. The frame and all body is in pretty good shape overall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
If the bulkhead is in good shape you could sell that to offset costs. But see my PM about my thoughts on the frame/suspension. If he wants too much you might want to consider just getting a tub and making your own frame and using a standard trailer axle.

charles
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Are you getting the frame too? Who would cut the frame in half?

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I would cut it!

It's an ex-MOD 110 with no title.

Is that sacrilegious?
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I would cut it!

It's an ex-MOD 110 with no title.

Is that sacrilegious?
Yep.I think you should go with a tube frame and sell off the frame -cutting a good one would be a crime. Ask Charles about his project<if he had it to do over again I think he'd say he wouldn't use the rover frame-it adds to much weight to a trailer.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, I personally don't see the point of destroying something good when there is no need. So if it's a solid frame, it would be best to use it on a truck. I'll repeat what I said in PM about the concept of using the rover frame/suspension

Pros:

- awesome suspension (although trailer is so light it doesn't need it)
- pulls really smooth
- all rover parts, so can share spares etc.

Cons:

- heavy
- tall
- heavy
- no brakes unless I add surge brakes, or figure out how to retrofit e-brakes
- heavy

So I am considering building a custom frame with a standard trailer axle with e-brakes to solve all the cons. I can shed a lot of weight, lower it a bit, and add brakes. I'd need spacers to stick with rover lug pattern but trailer axles are pretty cheap and so is the steel to build a frame. Would take time of course, and haven't even finished it yet so who knows.

If you are hell bent on using a rover frame/suspension we should talk. I'd hate to see mine go to waste if I go this route.
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Alright, I'll reconsider. I'm not hellbent on using all rover gear underneath, but for some reason it is appealing. Same ride height and tracking width, potential use of spares etc.

For the sake of the intact frame I am willing to give

I could make him an offer on the tub and roof, then spend the rest of the budget on materials and an axle.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:41 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Jeff, Is the frame better than yours? Would it work as a replacement? Could send it off to be galvanized for 500 and swap yours out?
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierce
Jeff, Is the frame better than yours? Would it work as a replacement? Could send it off to be galvanized for 500 and swap yours out?
Funny you ask. As I was driving home I was thinking the same thing. Not too sure of the overall condition but that would be really slick.
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Just out of curiousity, is it SALLDHAC7BA2523003?
Tony Kipling/Old English Cars?
Just a shot because I'm sure there are probably many more Ex-MOD 3-doors floating around the Carolinas with no titles, but if so, I have a funny story to share about that truck. (note the S1 VIN plate hastily affixed to the seat box) there's definately a back story, but if it is that truck I'm glad he's breaking it for parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1983-Ex MOD-144105305-5.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	43543   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	43544  

Click image for larger version

Name:	016.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	43545   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	43546  

Old November 9th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Not sure of VIN but it looks like the same one and yes it's Tony's. What's the story on it?
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Not sure of VIN but it looks like the same one and yes it's Tony's. What's the story on it?
First of all, I jumped on your website on your sig line.....that rolling ball sculpture is AMAZING! Before I read the text, I immediately thought of "Fracture", then of course I read that Fracture was indeed the inspiration. It's a gorgeous piece of art, you are truly talented! I was mezmerized watching it.

Okay, so the cliff notes on the truck go like this:
I had negotiated to buy that over a year ago from the PO, a Dr. who was transferred to FL. He paid $25K two years earlier at Tidewater Rovers (who are shadier than a band of Russian gypsies, BTW). Anyway, the PO was a really nice and honest guy, but inevitably we had to talk about the 800lb gorilla in the room (the fact that it was definately an illegal VIN-swap with a '61 S1 88" title). Negotiated the price to $5,000 pending an inspection of the frame (not bad, even if I can't register, correct?). I spent a few weeks convincing him that $5,000 was all he was going to see. Had A/C, good N/A deisel, 3 tuffy boxes and some other cool bits.

I engaged Tony at OEC to do a PPI agreed to pay hime something like $250 for up to three hours.
He told me that the frame was pretty solid and aside from bent rear trailing arms and sloppy propshaft the truck was a solid ex-MOD.

Previous owner goes back to Tony's shop to collect some personal items out of the truck before my transporter arrives and has a pleasant exchange with Tony. I don't know exactly what was said because I'm 1,500 miles away, but the net result was Tony somehow convinced him that it was a liability to sell the truck to me and he should sell it to hime and he'll break it for spares. I can't argue with that logic, but I was definately more than displeased with Tony's lack of loyalty in this situation.

Tony was more than gracious and agreed not to charge me the $250 for the PPI (what a gentleman!)

What this means to you:
1) (IF) its the truck, I was told the frame is solid:
2) Tony's entry price was $5,000 and he undoubtedly sold all the expensive bits;
3) Tony is definately in business to make money, not long term business relationships!

At least I'm glad to hear he's breaking it for parts like he promised not ringing the truck to some sucker. I'm giving an honest account of my account with Tony and hope this doesn't come off as sour grapes because I'm glad I found the truck I have now instead (actually, not mine anymore JayZ's truck now)
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Thank you for the compliment on my work!

It is funny how these trucks get tossed around and you have a connection with this one. It's too bad your deal with Tony and the other dude went south. Dude must have gotten scared by what Tony said and felt that dumping it right then and there would be best instead of messing with a sketchy ID.

I met Tony when I bought my truck from him two years ago. Being one of two rover shops in this little town I find him to be a helpful resource. He was importing trucks for a while and selling them on eBay to people all over the country. By selling one locally he has gained a long term customer out of me and I feel he is honest and does good work.

It's too bad you had a strange deal with him and I can't blame you for feeling the way you do about the situation. I think the dude who was out $25K on a truck with a sketchy VIN is probably more to blame than the middleman.

Thanks for the background info nonetheless.

Cheers
Jeff

Ps.

After re-reading your post, it is a bit weird that you would hire him to inspect the truck and then he ends up with it instead of you. As far as I know he has only had it a few of months. Not sure what happened between your negotiations and when he actually acquired it.
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Thank you for the compliment on my work!
I really appreciate mechanical art. Vintage Bugattis, industrial age equipment etc.

To be clear, Tony sounds like a decent enough guy and he's probably a good egg. I figured he was presented with an opportunity and he grabbed it. I just would have appreciated the courtesy of him defering to me beforehand (after all, I engaged/hired him first and his allegence should have been to me, not the owner). In all candor, I had no emotial attachment to the deal and I took it as a sign/fate that the deal fell apart, again the right thing would have been for Tony to get out ahead of this and ask me first - IMO.

THis all occurred in February 2011 (i'm guessing). The previous owner had moved out of state and no longer had a place for it. I can't answer for Tony, but I think he's had posession/control (if not ownership) since then.

Regardless, I remember it being a solid truck. I don't suppose it includes the nearly new air conditioning system that the previous owner had installed. I have some additional photos and some other paperwork if you're interested I can email it. Send me a PM with your email.

Interestingly it was this truck (specifically the rampant VIN-swapping that goes on) that drove me to look overseas for a truck that I knew for a fact had been properly imported/documented.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat