Whats it worth 110? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 14th, 2014, 09:10 PM
rherl
Richard Herlevi
1986 110

Whats it worth 110?

I'm trying to get an idea of the worth of the truck I am currently building. I don't want to get to the end of the project and have spent way more that it is worth. So I'm asking for an honest assessment.

This is a 1986 imported by Doug 2 1/2 years ago. It was a 110 3 door when it started. When it came into port Doug was unable to get it running beyond idol so I had to find a shipper who would take a non-runner. When it arrived at my house it was a non running piece of junk. So I commenced to begin a rebuild on it. In the meantime I found a 1987 127/130 and imported it with a container full of new and used parts. I put the 110 rebuild on hold and drove the 130 for a while until I had a timing belt failure. Now I need to finish the 110 and get it sold to fund the rebuild of the 130.

This 110 is being built as a LHD 5 door 110. It is rechassied on a Marsland Galvanized chassis. I sold the original 2.5TD to a board member and have installed a 200tdi and LT77 with 60k on them. The front axle has been rebuilt by me (10 spline). The rear axle is a Salisbury disc axle which I have not done anything with except put new calipers on. I'm toying with a rebuild on it as well. It has new shocks, springs, bushings, Terra Firma front and rear radius arms. New tie bar and track rod. As well as new ends on both. Anything that has rust on it is being sand blasted and either powder coated, galvanized or repainted.

It has a galvanized Ashtree bulkhead. The cappings will be galvanized and possibly the sills. The doors will be rust free doors. I have toyed with taking them down to the frames and galvanizing the frames and then reskinning them with galvanized skins, but I don't think that will happen. The doors are in great shape. The tub will be rebuilt and will have a new floor from YMR. I will likely Galvanize the under tub supports as well. The roof is a smooth top TD5 roof. Rear door will be new aluminum skinned with heated glass. Possibly rear wiper. The harnesses front and rear are new. The front wings will have new skins. All new lighting. It will have a LaSalle trim roof. The seating will be TDCI denim vinyl up front and TD5 60/40 in the rea recovered and refoamed. It also has acoustic matting in the front. It is made by Wright off road. More than likely it will have a TD5 dash.

I have a brownchurch roof rack and ladder that will go on it if we do not put a cage on it.

So there it is in a nutshell. All of the work was done here in the US. Doug can verify the original truck and I have pictures documenting most of the work. My hope is to recoup my cost and be able to pay the guy who is helping me on the rebuild. Then I can get on to my 130. Any legitimate valuation help from members would be great. If you are interested in buying the truck or know someone who is let me know. We just sent the bulkhead to paint. It looks like we are going to go with Willow Green metallic with a white roof. If the Value is to low I'll pay off the guy helping me and have a 110 to drive while I rebuild my 130.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2014, 07:51 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Asking prices seem high these days and I doubt stuff is moving quickly so I have the feeling the demand is soft on ROW rebuilds. Timing is everything but one would hope you'll get parts and labor back if you market it right. Documentation and copious pics of the build process should help in that effort.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 15th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Its very easy to spend more than its worth.
That's always been the way with LR and probably many modern "classic" cars.
Even harder to sell a collection of parts for non moving projects, but sometimes, you just have to cut your losses and run.
Suggest you post up the vehicles separately in the FS thread with full photographs and make your own best stab at value.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2014, 11:56 PM
rherl
Richard Herlevi
1986 110

Thanks for the replies and PM's. I think I'll be OK. I only plan on selling one (the 110) and don't really need to sell either. I think I will be able to recoup my parts cost. I'm not worried about my labor costs. It just been a diversion and learning experience.
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
If and when you get to the "end" of the project (there is never an end) you will have spent way too much.
Old December 28th, 2014, 08:20 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

Do you have any pics? What is your past mechanical experience? I maybe interested
Old December 28th, 2014, 08:24 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Post some pics of the 130 please .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat