What's going on with LRL magazine? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 14th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Question What's going on with LRL magazine?

Last issue was June 09. Historically, they put one out next in August, and so far nothing? Is the mag dead and just waiting for the domain to expire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2009, 07:18 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I've heard it is dead, but I also heard someone may be taking it over- all hear say though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:21 AM
skupetz
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander, 2

LRL Mag

Take it from one of the writiers who had front row seats... LRL is Dead!

Very sorry about it. One could say it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, but non the less those were the times.

The last real thing we did was writen for and posted in the the Rovers North catalog/magazine. it would have been the Camel Trophy story.

As for will it revive? Plenty of the players are still out and about and some have gone in directions that will soon become public. In the end it takes plenty of money and thats always what it boils down to.

Not really mine to say but thank you for the support.
-Gustaf Kupetz

PS my prior d-90 sourse handle would have been d90-110, but it, with the password, got swallowed by the LRL vortex. just as well I am Skupetz everywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

The last issue was a bit strange with whole pages showing some models, probably paid advertising. I only lost about $350.00 with paid subscriptions for some of my customers. Now I must contact those customers to tell them the news. We've seen this US magazine flop happen many times before. It will give me cold feet when being approached by the next attempt at a North American up and coming Land Rover mag.

Chris
Badger Coachworks
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM
skupetz
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander, 2

LRL Mag

Chris,

Gustaf, I am the fellow who did your interview. From a personal stand point, I am very sorry. I honestly didn't see it happening or at least wasn't privy to info that it might. I am sure many of the d-90 readers might have paid dues or feel ripped off, I had plenty invested as well, it would make $350.00 look like not much. not to belittle the fact though.

Doug put up a gallent figh and he lost his tail feathers trying to save it. I guess in the end I would just feel a little pride that several of us all/we made an attempt at the first US based LR mag. One learnes from the mistakes and becomes wiser about things. We American LR folks are a tight nit group, So I wouldn't shy away from the next LR mag attenmpt if there comes one along. LRL might have been a little racy but what really is the difference between LRO, LRM, LRW, LRE... other than I generaly like them.

I for one would have liked a tad more off road action, but trust me many liked the look/feel the way it was. Maybe next time the publisher will get the chemistry right for the US Market.

Best Intentions,

-Gustaf
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:15 AM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

I think that I may be representative of what went wrong with LRL.

"Oh that looks cool. I should subscribe."

Cue the crickets.
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I bought a years worth of back issues and a subscription when I deployed. Got the back issues, but never saw a single issue from the subscription. It's like buying a first class ticket on the Titanic I guess.
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:39 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Well good on them for the effort, it was a nice mag.

Unfortunately it is the perfect storm for US based LR magazines:

1. A wide sepreation between interests of users of older trucks and new vehicle buyers
2. The general decline of all print based media
3. The global economic crisis
4. A narrow subscriber base
5. High cost of covering a large continent
6. Marque sold to a third world owner

I would not want to try that business model for all the tea in India. Ufortunately it was doomed to failure or at a minimum a really hard "teething" period. But like I said, good on them for the effort. I will keep my copies right on the three foot high stack of Brit mags and other assorted attempts to civilize the wild west.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It made good reading on the can.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

They had a cool artical coming on KOH. Seemed like they tried to keep up with offroad. I bet it was hard for them though. Rover owners who don't wheel really seem to dislike those that do. I remember some butthurt e-mails published when my rig was in the mag.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:01 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Buck- Our dealer loves the Defender guys so much, we are not so affectionately known as the 'dirtbags' of the Land Rover world. Luckily, there is a salesman or two who know what all the yellow trucks in the continuosly running DVDs are..... I think Scott sums it up, perfect storm for sure. And who would have anticipated even the faithful Defender's values tanking like everything else. Straight axles be damned...

Old December 15th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Dale, if you are talking about the Charlotte dealership, then based on my limited experience with LR dealers, they are unique. They don't seem to ever have any owner events, and don't really seem to sponsor anything at all. The heritage is not part of their local culture.

Back in Scottsdale, when I went into the dealership as an owner, it was liking walking into a family reunion.
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

My experience at the stealership has been much more along the dirtbag lines. We are like the crazy cousins that come out of the hills for family get togethers. They really wish we didn't exist and would just quietly back to where ever we came from. I have let them use my trucks for promotions when they were feeling "all heritagee" but as soon as the promotion was over they have no use for you.

I used to live right around the corner from Hennesy's farm where they held events. One weekend I was driving back from getting groceries in the classic and saw a land rover sign pointing in a direction, I followed the signs and ended up on a small trail where they were showing off the Mk III, the spotter guy said that we should go back to the barn and get some food and go for a test drive. We obliged and drove up to the farm house where BMWs and Mercedes festooned the parking area. Lots of Orvis clothing and silver chafers.

A man came out a look on his face like I had just taken a dump in the punch bowl and shooed us off saying that it was an invitation only event and he looked down his nose at us.

I bought my first Range Rover in 1990 from that very dealership, currently own three LRs and have and will own many more. But I am not as valuable as the prick in the Orvis clothing with a BMW.

I made a vow at that very moment to make sure that Hennesy would never ever see one more dime of my money. I have kept my end of the bargin.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat