What's everyone skiing on this year? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Had a credit at the local ski shop and also got a discount so picked up a new deck - Gnu Riders Choice 158w. Gnu site says you can ride the board a little shorter due to its geometry. I wanted something a little shorter for east coast stuff. I really wanted to go outside Mervin but was impressed by what I was reading about the Pickle tech, along with Magna and ec2 btx. And Rome didn't have anything in their lineup that fit what I wanted. Plus it is hard to not buy the made in US stuff. Hoping to chaperone my oldest on a school trip next weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:30 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I figured I would post back up some thoughts after getting some days in on the new equipment.

Gnu Riders Choice - Damn! Not sure if it was because I haven't ridden yet this year but this board felt great right off the bat. I was riding a Lib Tech Skunk Ape 161 the last 2 years and the Gnu felt very similiar. A little shorter so it was easier to toss around but still real stable when things got cooking on the groomers. Snappier on ollies and with true twin better on the swich riding. All around solid - took it on a side country run, a bunch of woods, tons of groomers, park laps and no complaints.

FlyLow Jacket - Just works. I wore it around town before heading to Stowe and was worried. It felt roomy and on the stiff side. But on hill it felt dope. One day was 5 degrees up top with wind gusts that had the chairs moving a bunch and creeping up the line and it was good. Pockets zipped and unzipped great. Hood fit over the helmet and the fleece near the mouth made it comfy when tucking my face in when the wind hit.

Patagonia Puffy mid layer - Another just works piece. I hate seeing Patagonia labels all over but the stuff just last and does it job. Plus it fits mint. Kept me warm and was light. Also didn't get too hot when I was working it in the trees or had to boot pack up a run.

Bond Pants - good but will need some new threads soon. I think the waterproofing is worn out and there are rips all over but they still look sick. Might try out something in the Burton AK line.

Candy Grind mittens - holy jeez I love these things. The stock liners are too thick but I traded them out for some Burton thins. They are leather so they are bullet and wind proof. They have a zipper along the edge so I could pop out my fingers and do all the stupid little things like adjust the helmet strap that are imposible with mittens. Plus they have some cool colors that the girls liked. The only downside - punching into snow - they are under jacket so I'd get snow in my wrist. Would need a proper over the cuff glove or mitten for pow runs.

Red Helmet - just got this - little visor for protection in trees. Googles tucked in good. Might be warm on the spring days as it has no vents but could bring a bike helmet for that or will remove ear covers.

DC Boots - double Boa - PITA to get in and out but comfy all day. Rode first chair to last one day and stayed on hill for a bit afterwards and the boots weren't too swampy. Might go single Boa next pair to make it easier to get in and out.

Rome 390 bindings - I've had these guys for 6 years I think. They just work. There is some metal in the base so I think that has helped.

Next piece of gear might be some new long johns. Was just reading about the Ibex wool stuff as my Patagonia is getting snotty.

Anyway - posted some pics from Stowe. One of the Gnu in the lift line. And one in some woods in between a couple of blues. Untouched snow is always good. It needed some more base to be epic but still put a smile on my face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-30_10-11-28_748.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	63703   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-30_09-40-01_33.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	63704  

Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:41 AM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximal View Post
How do you like the mavens? I almost picked up a pair last year on promotive.
The Maven is a great ski for a few days in a season. Mine are the 2nd year/1st gen that are softer than the newer iterations. Easy turning with ridiculous amounts of float. It goes without saying that 139mm under foot isn't great on hardpack but thats not what BH designed them for. Maven mornings always bring a smile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2013, 12:41 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Fisher t-stix, make a great all mountain ski, but I'm on the hunt for a back country at with some rocker for the powder days we've been getting lately around Tahoe.
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:16 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Santa Cruz board and new Flow bindings this year. Could use some more Pow on the east coast. As always.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Burton Vapor board 159cm. Awesome ride.
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:54 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
Burton Vapor board 159cm. Awesome ride.
Wow. That's an expensive ride.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
I own a Defender, I like wasting money. I think it was going for $1000 new when I obtained it... I didn't pay that though.
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:12 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
I own a Defender, I like wasting money. I think it was going for $1000 new when I obtained it... I didn't pay that though.
'Obtained it' ... Sounds like a smash and grab raid on the local ski shop!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
'Obtained it' ... Sounds like a smash and grab raid on the local ski shop!
Lol. No, that's too hard. Got it free from Burton when we were working on a joint satellite radio product that never went anywhere. Already chipped it though at Breckenridge 2 years ago...
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:26 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Wii fit skiing. 'Because I own a defender'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wfplus2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	470.4 KB
ID:	63846

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Santa Cruz board and new Flow bindings this year. Could use some more Pow on the east coast. As always.

Clay
Wouldn't have picked you as a knuckledrager Clay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat