What would you do in this situation? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 30th, 2007, 03:13 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

What would you do in this situation?

Did anybody watch this Mythbusters episode where they test different ways to exit your vehicle should you accidentally drive it into a body of water? As it turns out, you can't open the doors or windows until the vehicle is entirely filled with water and the pressure has equalized. This is made difficult by the heavy engine in front, which makes the vehicle sink front-first and makes the front of the cabin fill with water first, forcing the driver to hold their breath until the back of the cabin fills with water.

The guys did some experiments and Adam was not initially unable to hold his breath long enough to open the door. Very scary. He was able to hold his breath on later attempts, but only by staying very calm and not moving until the pressure had equalized--probably not the way most of us would behave in this situation.

They discovered that the only surefire way to escape the vehicle was to break the side window with a special tool designed for this or to roll the window down before the water reached the glass.

This got me thinking: could I fit through my side window with the glass slid to the open position? I wondered if I should purchase one of those window breaker tools. Would I be better off using my knife to cut the soft top? Has anybody ever been in this situation?

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

I haven't had the pleasure of personal experience, but I find it hard to believe that a submerged soft top Defender would take very long before the presure is equalized. If you still have your original BestTop then the equalization time would most likely be even quicker.

On a slightly diffferent note, I'm guesssing that the car on the show had electric windows. Once the car hits the water they short out and trap you in. Back when I was a kid, when electric windows were far less common, the instructions were to slowly roll down the (manual) window and allow water into the car to equalize the pressure. With electric windows you should have something to break them if needed.

Anyhow, even if you and your 90 decide to try out scuba diving together, unless you installed electric windows, you probably won't have too much of a problem getting out. Other than getting your truck out of the swimming pool/lake/river/ocean that you drove it into!
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:24 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

LOL Water would run into a Defender so fast you wouldn't have time to grab a breaker tool. Looks like it would really hurt if you broke the window while underwater.

My wife thinks I'm a redneck because I always carry a fairly good size folding knife in my waist. I have a friend who's sister died in a car wreck, according to him she died because she turned upside down and was strangled by the seat belt. No other injuries.
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I agree with Mark. I think the issue in modern cars is that they have electric window that will trap you in.

I think in the case of the D90 - as long as you were now knocked out when the car hit the water - it would not be too bad. I think the car would fill up on its own..........BUT if you wanted to equalize the pressure even faster, just open both sliding windows.........Imagine water pouring through those openings. You would not have to hold your breath for long............

----------------------------------------

THAT SAID - even for modern cars - I think those window breaking tools are a salesman's gimick - and a marketing delight. Even if you cross several bridges ever day - what are the odds of actually plunging into the water? Anyone know anyone that this has happened too? I guess I have seen it on the news..........but even that is rather rare.........

Flagg
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:16 AM
kevb
Kevin Barrett
2005 90 TD5

In the Camel Trophy Discoveries the electric windows were replaced with manual winders for that reason but for them it was a very real threat! For most of us the chance of getting into such trouble in the first place is, hopefully, remote. In the past i have had the dubious pleasure of taking part in helicopter underwater escape training and even in a training environment it is very unpleasant to say the least. The basic technique as you become aware of the fact that you are going in the water and having your escape plan in your head, is to put one hand on your seatbelt release and the other on the door handle. The reason for this is to remain aware of your position in relation to the exit You must remain still untill the vehicle has filled with water and has stopped moving then get out. Easier said than done considering you may be upside down and in the dark! This also makes the huge presumption that you are conscious after the impact. Of the incidents I have been aware of those who got out had 2 things in their favour, they survived the impact and kept their heads enough to followed their escape plan.
Personally i dont fancy it much, heres hoping it never happens for real.
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:19 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

You are more likely to die of a lightning strike. I agree, a defender or series would fill on both sides of the glass at the same rate.
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

they addressed the electric window opening short problem in the same mythbusters episode. modern windows continue to work while the battery and door is submerged. of course i don't agree with their testing methods, i would have written the show, but i figure someone else will do it anyways.

first your electrical system in an average sedan is very complicated with almost everything attached to the battery through a fuse box. if something on the same circuit as your windows shorts it will blow the fuse and leave you "high and dry"

secondly the way they tested if one could open the window was by piling a bunch of weights on it. this provides you with an equivelent amount of force, howver it isn't spread evenly like water would be, also when he tried to open the window the weights where being pushed up against the edge of the door increasing the force needed. if i wasn't at work i'd draw some really cool diagram, but i can't so i won't/
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

I saw that episode too and had the same issues with the way that they tested opening the windows under pressure. It was clear that the weights were hitting the edge of the door. That being said, if you have electric (or roll down) windows, the first thing you should do in this case is open them as soon as you hit the water. This will allow a way to quickly get out, as well as equalize the pressure more quickly.

I think the best solution for this problem though, is to never have the windows or top on the defender (assuming you have a ST)
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Damn I can't keep the rain out of my truck, yours must be sealed up tight.
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
THAT SAID - even for modern cars - I think those window breaking tools are a salesman's gimick - and a marketing delight. Even if you cross several bridges ever day - what are the odds of actually plunging into the water? Anyone know anyone that this has happened too? I guess I have seen it on the news..........but even that is rather rare.........

Flagg
Well if you don't want to buy the gimicky glass tool which do work very well. Just buy a spring loaded center punch. That's what we use in the fire department.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old January 30th, 2007, 04:47 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

There is a video on youtube that scares the crap out of me everytime i see it. It's a video of a rally car crash from the incar cam. The guy went off an embankment into a river at about a 100 mph. Before the car hit the water he flipped. So the car hits the emabnkment, rolls down it and land upside down in the river. The camera is still running and the guys are moving and yelling but u see the water come pouring in through the window nets, filling from the roof up. There heads are the first thing to go under. So imagine.. your strapped into a six point harness (despite teh quick release not easy to get off), just slammed around rolling down an embankment, ur upside down ur head is underwater and your disoriented. Even after you get out hte seat, right ur self, you have to navigate the roll bar across the door find the handle, and get out. scary to me.
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:07 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I've done the crash into water thing... Some of the glass smashed on impact so the truck flooded instantly but this was in a flood stage river so when the truck hit the bottom it started to roll side over side which made getting out difficult, it was midnight in a storm to so no light either to see by.
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

the ST Defenders have an advantage in equaling pressure because of the softop, but hell, i don't think i could get though the sliding half window up front! i can barely stick my arm out the window!!!

the SW Defender would equal the pressure longer in time, but at least you could climb out of those windows!
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by headdamage
I've done the crash into water thing... Some of the glass smashed on impact so the truck flooded instantly but this was in a flood stage river so when the truck hit the bottom it started to roll side over side which made getting out difficult, it was midnight in a storm to so no light either to see by.
Is that where you got your nick-name?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:51 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

What would I do in this situation? 1st I would shit my pants, then I would swim AWAY from the brown water. Saved.
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:45 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I think I'd swim out through the giant gash I just slashed in my soft top.

Woops....here's a chilling thought: I'm 6'8" tall. I don't think there's a chance in hell I could get out from behind the wheel without opening the door.
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:54 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
I think I'd swim out through the giant gash I just slashed in my soft top.

Woops....here's a chilling thought: I'm 6'8" tall. I don't think there's a chance in hell I could get out from behind the wheel without opening the door.
how do you even fit in a rover? i'm 6" and i think it's a bit tight...
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:32 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I think the streering wheel in a D90 is too big to let you swim out, so you would have to open the door or swim out the windshield if its broken. One plus is the roll cage makes a good grasp bar to pull ourselves out. Immediately afterwards, I'd be searching online for a new ecu.

Neil
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Yarr the capin's going down with his ship.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat