What would you do D110 for RR TD6? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 24th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
here's perspective. When I first got my rebuilt salvage NAS110 in 2006, I registered it with USAA. The insured value was $22k in their system based on the vin. Last week I called to do some title work. The value in their system is now $56k.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

If your truck is the highly sought after NAS 110 that has skyrocketed in value in recent years I would not trade but if it's not NAS I would definitely consider the trade, having driven the TD6 I was very impressed. Either way not a terrible quandary to be in.
Good luck.
Old January 24th, 2016, 01:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
now that you've got the crystal ball out can you tell me where my apple and oil stocks will be in 5 years? No doubt it will be worth more than the RR..
Every year more defenders come in, newer years with better engines, parts (in some cases) to start. With every nice restored one coming in the supply gets greater which will drive the price down. Land Rover got smart with the new range rover and is making less than the demand hence the resale value being high. I think the value of this truck being high right now is a fluke.

No offense to the owner but it is a turd. If they offered him anything above what he paid he should take it and run away. For that money he could buy a NAS 110 and guess what that will still have its value in 5 years. This thing won't. It's not a NAS collectable.

And since I have my crystal ball out I am willing to say the super high dollar value for restored turds will tank when the new defender comes out. The people who buy Arkonik trucks typically are not enthusiasts, they are guys who think defenders look cool and want some bells and whistles and then get disappointed when the turd is shipped over. If the new defender looks anything like the old one which I bet it will like the new mini looks like the old one, the guys who want the novelty truck will just go to a dealer and buy that when they also get a range rover. It will have a warranty and be a toy and make them happy. They won't see the value of ordering one of these from some guy out of a caravan in the UK.

There will still be a market for old trucks but it will normalize and go back to people on the board who want the original and are aren't looking for something to outdo their neighbor with a g wagon.

And there will always be a market for restored NAS trucks like ECR, Safari, etc are capable of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2016, 01:57 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Good to see someone calling it for what it is…

take the trade
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:28 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Ask yourself, which better fits your personality ?
Which would you rather be seen driving ?
Just an observation of the rental cars I've been getting lately, most vehicles come with some pretty nice amenities for reasonable money.
Keep the Defender and get a maxed out Prius or VW Tiguan. I'm sitting here with a RR (although a 2002) wishing I had a Defender.
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:30 PM
havens51
joseph
'97 NAS D90 ST, '88 D110, '16 LR 4

Registry
It appears as though Carnac The Magnificent has spoken. A little bitter, but it seems that you have it all figured out. Hey, this is just fun.
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:25 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by havens51 View Post
It appears as though Carnac The Magnificent has spoken. A little bitter, but it seems that you have it all figured out. Hey, this is just fun.
Not bitter at all. I just am sick of people pretending this truck is something it's not. I think you are beyond fortunate to have this offer. If this was an ecr truck or the truck wolf just sold I think it would be a hard choice for most. It's not though and never will be that level of truck no matter how many pics they gave you or if they flew out the ghost of Maurice Wilks to fix your water leaks.
Old January 24th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Not bitter at all. I just am sick of people pretending this truck is something it's not. I think you are beyond fortunate to have this offer. If this was an ecr truck or the truck wolf just sold I think it would be a hard choice for most. It's not though and never will be that level of truck no matter how many pics they gave you or if they flew out the ghost of Maurice Wilks to fix your water leaks.
Thankfully Barry there are no more than one of you...with uninformed opinions that are practically worthless
Old January 24th, 2016, 04:42 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Thankfully Barry there are no more than one of you...with uninformed opinions that are practically worthless
You should see if you can become Arkonik's American sales rep.
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
You should see if you can become Arkonik's American sales rep.
<wink>
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:06 PM
havens51
joseph

Registry
Bitter= I would never call one of your trucks, especially if I had never examined it, a turd in private or in public no matter what I thought of it.

No one is claiming anything what so ever. Truth is,I have always wanted a NAS 110 but the harsh reality is that one would not fit in my garages. I had a 109 with a custom teak floored roof rack for years. I had to rent a commercial garage with 20 foot door to house it. I just don't want to go back to that.
I have no axe to grind with ECR or Safari. Their trucks must be wonderful. However, with what I already have and present circumstances, I did not opt to spend well over 100k and I guess closer to 190k for a safari/ECR restoration.
Perhaps another time and place. I don't begrudge their customers, it's all relative.
It just seems that even with the trials and tribulations, my 110 is a good fit for now.
If you don't like it, don't buy one. It's still a free country.
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by havens51 View Post
Bitter= I would never call one of your trucks, especially if I had never examined it, a turd in private or in public no matter what I thought of it.

No one is claiming anything what so ever. Truth is,I have always wanted a NAS 110 but the harsh reality is that one would not fit in my garages. I had a 109 with a custom teak floored roof rack for years. I had to rent a commercial garage with 20 foot door to house it. I just don't want to go back to that.
I have no axe to grind with ECR or Safari. Their trucks must be wonderful. However, with what I already have and present circumstances, I did not opt to spend well over 100k and I guess closer to 190k for a safari/ECR restoration.
Perhaps another time and place. I don't begrudge their customers, it's all relative.
It just seems that even with the trials and tribulations, my 110 is a good fit for now.
If you don't like it, don't buy one. It's still a free country.
I apologize for calling your truck a turd. I think the fact you came on here complained about it, then said the dealer wants it, now you can trade, and should you I couldn't help myself. It is all relative but it's not like your truck was inexpensive.

Obviously do what you with it and be happy.
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:30 PM
havens51
joseph

Registry
No worries, understood. Be well.
By the by, aren't we lucky that we can have a defender?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, d110