Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:40 PM
scottsdaleaz
Jared
D

What would you do?

What would you do?

Sold truck on Ebay, deposit due in 48 hours and full payment within 7 days.

Winning bidder pays deposit via Paypal.

Winning bidder then informs me he is out of the country and can't pay the balance for a month. Additionally, he tries to negotiate a lower price because the genius forgot to figure in tax and shipping.

Winning bidder has not paid balance of truck within the 7 day window and is now asking for his deposit back.

Winning bidder threatens to sue me if I do not return deposit.

Just looking for opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:44 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I'd return his deposit & relist the truck. I don't know about you, but my time is too valuable for conflict like this.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Let him try to sue you. Pull the money out of paypal so he can't get it back.

Relist the truck and if you get full asking, then maybe consider giving it back (but I would not).
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The terms of the ebay auction were clear? I'd ask ebay for their judgement before they side with this other tool for some reason.

Deposits are to hold an item until it can be fully paid for. Short of the item not being as described there is no basis to ask for your deposit back if you cannot pay.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:47 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Went through this before.. Unless deposit is marked as non refundable they (PayPal) May side with him.. Let it go to arbitration through PayPal and you claim costs incurred by buyer not fulfilling contractual obligations.. Settle for giving a portion of the deposit back.. That may be your best scenario..
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:56 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Not sure what the deposit amount is, but consider his negative feedback on your ebay account into this.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:01 PM
scottsdaleaz
Jared
D

I forgot to mention, the guy tried to reverse the deposit last night on Paypal, he contacted Paypal claiming it was an "unauthorized" payment. They shot that down right away.

I googled the guy and he does not have a good track record. The word "fraud" comes up many times when he is looked up. He is a business owner on the East Coast with a shady history. Paypal claims I do not need to pay back the deposit, it just concerns me as to how protected I am when speaking to someone in an overseas call center stating "I should be fine." I don't want to deal with some crazy threatening me. On the flipside, he was obviously bidding on my truck and ran the risk of winning the auction.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:07 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleaz View Post
I forgot to mention, the guy tried to reverse the deposit last night on Paypal, he contacted Paypal claiming it was an "unauthorized" payment. They shot that down right away. I googled the guy and he does not have a good track record. The word "fraud" comes up many times when he is looked up. He is a business owner on the East Coast with a shady history. Paypal claims I do not need to pay back the deposit, it just concerns me as to how protected I am when speaking to someone in an overseas call center stating "I should be fine." I don't want to deal with some crazy threatening me. On the flipside, he was obviously bidding on my truck and ran the risk of winning the auction.
Have patience. Let eBay and Paypal sort it out. If he wasn't such a dick I would have refunded him the money. But at this point keep your documentation up to date
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:

I googled the guy and he does not have a good track record. The word "fraud" comes up many times when he is looked up. He is a business owner on the East Coast with a shady history. Paypal claims I do not need to pay back the deposit, it just concerns me as to how protected I am when speaking to someone in an overseas call center stating "I should be fine." I don't want to deal with some crazy threatening me. On the flipside, he was obviously bidding on my truck and ran the risk of winning the auction.
What business does he own?
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:18 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
What business does he own?
This ^^^^^^

Life is to short to loose sleep over this turd. Let EBay sort it out and then re-list the truck specifying a time limit to complete the transaction and specifically state that deposits are 100% non-refundable and that any taxes and transportation costs are on the buyer.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:31 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Relist the truck, with non refundable deposit due to time wasters.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:16 PM
scottsdaleaz
Jared
D

Good advice from all, I did stipulate all requirements for the auction. At this point, the turd emailed me again and copied his lawyer. I understand this can all be him posturing, I just do not have time do deal with this.

I will not mention his business, however, he is a restaurant owner and had had many places shut down for illegal activities in the establishments.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Good advice from all, I did stipulate all requirements for the auction. At this point, the turd emailed me again and copied his lawyer. I understand this can all be him posturing, I just do not have time do deal with this.

I will not mention his business, however, he is a restaurant owner and had had many places shut down for illegal activities in the establishments.

Let him ring up his lawyer bill. Ebay and Paypal has rules.

Just ask this question to the Lawyer and copy the turd:

Are you representing this client in this matter? It is my understanding that if you are I should no longer have communication with him, and he should have no communication with me. If so please send me a representation letter.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:39 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Not sure what the deposit amount is, but consider his negative feedback on your ebay account into this.
This can be assumed at this point. Move forward without concern of negative feedback and follow the ebay policies strictly to the letter. you're in ebay arbitration now. I'm sure if the deposit was under 2-3k, that his lawyer bills will catch up to those quickly. In end, you have your truck, worst case he gets some of his deposit back, and he comes out in the negative on cash due to cost of being a putz.

Plus, you get to throw a negative at him too.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:03 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

What truck is back up for sale?
Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:09 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
id be willing to guess that ebay and Paypal have more powerful lawyers than he does…. The lawyer crap is b.s. anyway.. He will spend more on an attorney to come after you than he sent you as a deposit.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:57 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

He can't leave negative feedback if the sale is not completed.. If he does you simply call eBay and they will remove it...
Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:41 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Been thru this - DO EXACTLY WHAT RON SAID TO DO...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat