what would be a good deal? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
1000kva
paul girard

what would be a good deal?

I am still getting the specifics on it, but I have found a 97 D90 (I believe ST) as I was told that it has 3 tops.British racing green, don't know what tranny nor A/C but it has 17,000 miles on it. From what I know so far it has been used as a mall crawler and is pretty stock, has a water proof stereo etc.The current unnegotiated price is $42,000. When I have been looking around the Net that seems to be about what a 90 with this amount of miles is going for. So other than the BS price I would like to get it for-$20,000 what do you think would be the purchase price for this to make it a "good deal"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000kva
I am still getting the specifics on it, but I have found a 97 D90 (I believe ST) as I was told that it has 3 tops.British racing green, don't know what tranny nor A/C but it has 17,000 miles on it. From what I know so far it has been used as a mall crawler and is pretty stock, has a water proof stereo etc.The current unnegotiated price is $42,000. When I have been looking around the Net that seems to be about what a 90 with this amount of miles is going for. So other than the BS price I would like to get it for-$20,000 what do you think would be the purchase price for this to make it a "good deal"?
your probably gonna pay at least 30k for it. this truck will probably wind up at copley for the mid forties by next week anyways
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
1000kva
paul girard

It's a "hidden" truck it is not posted on the net and is not in a paper/magazine, it is word of mouth to me only - I am just trying to figure out what I should honestly pay for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2006, 12:08 AM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

Low miles don't mean it's maintained well or will live long or troublefree. Some people put a lot of weight on the miles, and falsely so. Don't let the siren song suck you in too far. What it is really worth and what the market value may be are WAY apart. If they are starting over $40K, there's probably no hope of getting it under $35K. Defenders aren't really WORTH that, but some GET that. It's what it's worth to you.
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:18 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yup thats about the range a 97 with that low mile can fetch if not more. You'll never get near that truck for $20K if the seller knows anything about the selling market for the trucks and what the low milage ones get, especially a 97.

Luap... you keep asking what would be something to expect for the $20K or under range and I keep telling you to go read the Classified section of trucks for sale. Read every listing for the past 8 months, see what was listed for what price and see what they sold for if prices were dropped. When you are done, you should be more than well informed of what you can get in your price range

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:10 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Low mileage only means that the trim is probably in nice shape. Keep shopping unless you have 40k to burn. It might be a fair price, but its not reasonable.
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:23 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

If you wanna get it for $33 or so I'd tell them to take it to a shop and get a quote for all the replacement parts it needs (seals, hoses, etc.) and MAYBE they'll drop the price.

I agree with everyone else though, the damn truck's worth that much because someone WILL pay that much.
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:37 AM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

Luap: Your in my neck of the woods, I would think IMO in today’s market you will not be able to pick up that truck any where in the 20's, I would guess with low miles it probably has been well taken care of (understanding miles do not dictate condition all the time) but nonetheless probably in very good condition. They are still selling these trucks in Alabama in the mid 30's and again IMO the mean price of these trucks will begin to rise over the next couple of years. I have seen a couple of Yellow 90's at Lokey Crosslander on Dale Mabry you might want to drive down and check them out, I have no idea the price/condition and have only seen them from the interstate. If you do buy and want to hit the trails email me. gh
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:13 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Its all about what its worth to you. I got my D90 with 20K miles on it and payed 40,000 for it. It had been mantained inside and out. To me it was worth every penny but others feel that they are over priced. Getting that truck under 35,000 would be near impossible let along near 20,000

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:23 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Come on - the 97 has so many extra pieces. I'd be afraid to bang it up.
Go for the original, the coolest the 1994 vintage. LR kept it simple, clean and FUN! The '94 is something you can play with. There are a few out there, why isn't there a great one on this site.
In my neck of the woods, a clean 97 is $40k+. (Not worth it to me but damn tempting)

Dislaimer -the C-green '94 with 81k is mine. A shameless plug on my part

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat