What to purchase next? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 30th, 2014, 04:11 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

What to purchase next?

Hello All! I am still glowing from the Death Valley trip. And as you may know, soon I will be selling my 95 bumble bee yellow Defender. So I am looking for your feedback on what to purchase next (within the LR family).

In a normal month I do not drive much - about 500 miles would be a busy month (and our other car is a Prius - something I loath to drive) Still my next LR will be a daily driver and double as a off pavement truck when ever I can find the time.

Here are my parameters:

I would like it to be in the 2002 - 2009 model years
I would like to spend $15k or less
I would prefer the burgundy exterior
I will not buy a 2005 LR3 as I have read this first year had issues
I am not interested in an LR2 or Freelander

I would be grateful for any input on what to look for and what to avoid. My biggest question is the contrast of differences between the LR3 and the RR.

Here are some of my other questions:

Range Rover: 2002-mid 2005 was the BMW 4.4L V8 with a 5sp Auto. This better, worse, or same as the Jag 4.2L V8 with the 6sp Auto?
As 2002 is a new model year for the RR where there bugs that would make it a year to avoid?
Disco II up to 2004: I am not very fond of this body style and have not done much research yet. Still it is still something to consider as a good Disco II would leave more funds in my pocket. If I go this route what should I look for/be aware of? How does the 4 speed Trans hold up?
LR3: Even though I like the look for the RR more, the LR3 make more sense for me from a dollar stand point. How is this off road? Repairs? I know I heard some talk about the self leveling system on the trip. Is this a large issue or just a thorn in the side?

Thank you all for your input. I look forward to seeing you all again soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
As a d2 owner, I think it's pretty funny you asked about the ZF....probably one of the 3 things you won't need to worry about on the vehicle
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:12 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
why you would sell the defender for any of those options is beyond my understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2014, 05:40 PM
petminded
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
why you would sell the defender for any of those options is beyond my understanding.
Thank you for your feed back. The list is long. To start, having more dust outside the truck at the finish of a trip then inside the truck would be nice. But the goal is to be able to have my wife join me on trips and bring the dogs. Right now they don't fit without gear. So with gear can't happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141130_143749.png
Views:	49
Size:	491.0 KB
ID:	107832   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141130_143842.png
Views:	56
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	107833  

Old November 30th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

D2. No doubt is the right choice

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
If/when you decide to sell your 95, let me know.

I know what you mean about the dust, especially here in SoCal. When I go out with SCLR, I usually stay towards the front of the pack so I'm not completely covered by the end of the trip. Other than Chris, I am almost always the only person with a soft top (I usually just go entirely roofless) on the trips. I will say it grows on you and gives you a baseless sense of accomplishment at the end of a few days.

If you plan to keep going on SCLR trips, I'd recommend looking at an LR3. Not only does it fit your goals but if anything goes wrong on the trail, there is a ridiculous amount of LR3/LR4 knowledge in SCLR. I am sure you probably noticed that in Death Valley.
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:55 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Disco 2 - ZF auto is very reliable. The 4.6 engine has it's issues. Cracked block, and head bolts are the most common, as well. google "three amigos Land Rover" (electrical issue could be wheel sensor or wiring harness)

However, they are capable off road, lots of stock parts and upgrades available.

The '04 has a centre locking diff (same as your D90) I think the '01- 03's didn't have it (can't recall the exact years that just have a "H -L" shifter to switch between high and low) no 2WD option like you have now.

There are plenty of '04's around for WAY under your budget, so you could add lot's of upgrades.
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:02 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
What are you selling the 90 for $?
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
I just picked up an 06 LR3 HSE and I love it. I found a really clean one with the HD option. By the time I'm done with tires, lift, sliders, roof rack, and rear tire carrier I will be below your budget.

I looked at a few RRS's, but the off road parts see hard to come by.

If I were in your shoes, I would get an LR3.
My $0.02
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
You'd be better off keeping your Defender and buying a DII for $3k. Any vehicle you buy in the price range you are looking at will be worth substantially less after a few years. Your Defender is not going to depreciate in value. Have you considered buying a roof rack if you have that much gear? I have no problem going on long trips with my girlfriend and our Husky. I drove across the country in March with four people in my D90, and just used a trailer hitch rack and Pelican Case. You will no doubt regret selling your Defender. You can modify it to suit your needs.

Also, I'd love to know what makes a 2005 LR3 less reliable than a 2006.
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:11 PM
petminded
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
I just picked up an 06 LR3 HSE and I love it. I found a really clean one with the HD option. By the time I'm done with tires, lift, sliders, roof rack, and rear tire carrier I will be below your budget.

I looked at a few RRS's, but the off road parts see hard to come by.

If I were in your shoes, I would get an LR3.
My $0.02
What comes on the HB option?
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
What comes on the HB option?
Full size spare and a rear locking diff.
Old November 30th, 2014, 07:22 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Getting a roof rack and some good waterproof duffel bags will give you your people and cargo room in the D90.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 1st, 2014, 12:30 AM
petminded
David

How do I know if the LR3 has an HD option? Do I look for a full sized spare? Is there some lock button or lever on the dash?
Old December 1st, 2014, 12:58 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Full size spare is a good indicator. You can also look at the top of the rear diff itself.

[IMG][/IMG]

And you can always have a dealer or someone who works at a dealer run the VIN for you..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 1st, 2014, 06:50 AM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Do not sell your NAS. I sold my 97 to get better mileage, more comfort blah blah blah. Worst decision ever.
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:45 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
How do I know if the LR3 has an HD option? Do I look for a full sized spare? Is there some lock button or lever on the dash?
From your trip report, it does not sound like you will benefit from the HD option on the HSE. Besides, they are few and far between and you will rule out too many good LR3s in the hunt. Just ask Pedro (who is still looking.....).

Another option to mitigate your dust concerns is to convert your ST to a SW. There appears to be two sets of AA yellow SW doors in great shape in circulation and the other SW specific bits will be easy to source, even new. Bonus is when you sell off your ST cage parts that are no longer in use, it will more than pay for the conversion to a SW. The conversion could be performed in a weekend at a next zero cost IMO.

As others have said, don't give up on the NAS Defender yet.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 02:48 AM
petminded
David

So I have been trolling the for sale pages. And I have noticed two different things about the 2004 Disc. Some come with body colored molding and others do not. Is this just an SE verse a higher trim level? Or is this indication of more options?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4723882312.html
verse
http://www.dev2.biz/carimg/41387_1_846378-5_133840.jpg
Old December 2nd, 2014, 03:10 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

I cant say that I've seen them with body coloured moldings before, I think that is custom, and not in a good way. It seems they had the flares and the entire bumper colour matched to the truck and removed the side moldings at the same time. No thank you sir, not my cuppa..

I'm not sure how many of them are out there (if any at all) but I'd look for a 2004 SD trim model if you are leaning towards a D2. It's a base truck without a lot of the extra crap that can/will fail (rear air shocks, SLS suspension, sunroofs, etc..)

Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:28 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
They did not come with body coloured moldings. That one you posted has been painted to match the body, but a lot of people just remove the fender flares all together for a cleaner look since the plastic flares fade badly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat