Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
What to pack when off roading/going on trips

So - after exploding my axle on the trail, and relying on others for help and spares (which unforutantly didn't fit) I'm getting around to packing the proper tools and equipment you might need for anything from a weekend of wheeling to a long trip through Canada.

So in short, what do you guys carry with you at all times when going out (other than to the grocery store. I guess this can be broken down to 3 catagories, Recovery, Tools, spare parts/repairs. I'm sure this list can go on for ever, but heres where I'm at, and let me know if you think there should be more:

Recovery:
30' tow strap
D-shackels
6' tree strap
winch controller
Snatch block
gloves
Shovel
Hi-lift
Wheel Chocks
Blanket/Towels/Tarps
First Aid Kit (with super glue, super glue is the best at stopping a bad cutting from bleeding quickly)

Tools:
Socket set from 5MM-21MM, 1/4-13/16 + 1 1/16" (lug nuts)
Wrench Set MM and Standard for same sizes
1/4,3/8, 1/2" ratchets
Various extensions and swivels, adapters
Allen Wrench Set
Adjustable Wrench
Vice Crips
Needle nose pliers
Reg Pliers/wire cutters
Channel Locks
Breaker Bar
Hammer
Screw drivers (flat and Phillips)
Torq Bit set
Extendable Magnet (great for getting out shattered CV pieces)
Zip Ties
Tire plug kit
Duct and Electrical Tape

Spares/Fluids:
1 Gallon Oil
1 Litre Diff Fluid
1 Litre MTF
2 Swivel Ball greese tubes
Brake Fluid
WD-40
RTV Sealant/Right Stuff
JB Weld
Brake Kleen
10awg wire
Various Fuses
Assortment of Band Clamps/Hose Clamps
Brake line(s) and fittings
1 Spare Axle and CV for each corner (use a PVC or ABS pipe to keep them, stuff with packing paper to keep from banging into eachother)
Various Hoses (radiator, Turbo)
Drive Flange and bolts
Spare wheel and tire (obviously)

I think thats about it..... I'm sure the list could go wrong, but i think the idea is to have what you need to get it working, if not 100% (although that would be great), at least enough to get you out of the woods (literally).

SO - any input, before I go out and start buying a whole nother set of tools just for the truck.....

Anything I'm missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
AAA membership
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:49 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Haha have that, dont think they would come to the middle of the pine barrens or rausch creek for me though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Hub nut socket (2 1/16...I'm pretty sure, just get the tool from RN or wherever).

Consider U joints to be able to rebuild rear...you can always pull the front if it goes south but being able to have a RWD truck should both go down or what have you is nice.

If you are going so far as taking CV's and spare axles may want to consider a set or two of wheel bearings (pre-greased and then stored in plastic) as well as appropriate seals should your hubs need it.

In the recovery gear category I'd consider a kinetic rope along with your tow strap, yes the tow strap can do it but the kinetic rope often makes things less painful (in my experience).
r-
Ray
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
A sheet of some sort that can provide easy contrast, to put underneath the truck or work area, in case you drop a bolt or nut through the engine bay while on gravel so that it's easy to find.
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:52 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Electrical terminals,male,female,butt splice, crimp tool,test lamp 12volt , meter.
It depends on how remote you get, you might want a satellite phone. Me, I wing it.
Old June 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23
AAA membership
Closely followed by Onstar.
Seriously though keep the vehicle well maintained will reduce the failure rate.
Now once you have all this stuff, how are you going to secure it safely?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:14 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
All great input. Question are wheel bearings from a 10 spline axle the same a those from a 24 spline? I have the ones off my 10 spline front but swapped over a 24 spline set up and was going to pack those as spares.

As for packaging. This stuff would all be kept in lockable storage boxes that would get ratchet strapped down either inside the truck or to the roof rack
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Are you bringing the dog, too?
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:31 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Yea but he can run along side. Actually if I bring his roding harness he counts as part of my recovery gear
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Bailing wire. Works great if you have to secure some that gets hot enough to melt a ziptie like exhaust.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Hey Adrian when we were working on your truck at Rausch. I think the bearing looked different on your 10 splines but I am not sure. You might also want to throw in a Driveshaft Socket Wrench Tool - 9/16" Nut - 3/8" Square Drive from AB. they are really handy when you need it. Viscous Fan clutch, cant tell you how many of these I have seen bad on the trail. also the tool to take it of with make it alot easier. Lots of shop towels and hand cleaner. It would be nice I someone would invent a collapeable 1 gallon jug to drain old fluids into.
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I like to bring a spare bottle jack too.
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:13 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
Hey Adrian when we were working on your truck at Rausch. I think the bearing looked different on your 10 splines but I am not sure. You might also want to throw in a Driveshaft Socket Wrench Tool - 9/16" Nut - 3/8" Square Drive from AB. they are really handy when you need it. Viscous Fan clutch, cant tell you how many of these I have seen bad on the trail. also the tool to take it of with make it alot easier. Lots of shop towels and hand cleaner. It would be nice I someone would invent a collapeable 1 gallon jug to drain old fluids into.

Dana,

Thanks again for all your help out there, it was great meeting you and I learned alot!

Driveshaft socket is a check, borrowed one from Don the other day and I'm sold on getting my own. Fan clutch and tool are being added to the list.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:45 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I would also split the "spares" into two lists:
- what gets you home
- what keeps you wheeling

This helps prioritize what to take when running out of space. Yeah... 2 kids, camping gears in the back f the 90 forced me to think about having a "nice to have", "pretty important to have" and "must have". After a few times, I realized that I was not getting anything from the "nice to have" list.

Of course there is an argument that the "must have" list depends on how far from a parts store you'll be and who is coming with you (and what spare they'll have). No need to carry two replacement axle shafts if no one is carrying something to plug tire punctures or something to refill the tires.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
As I thought about it a bit more some other little things that I have based off experiences...I'll let you read into that:
-Caliper bolts for the brakes...having 1-2 of the fine pitch 13mm 12pt bolts in your little bag of happy hardware is always a good thing. I bring this up b/c 6-7mo after putting the brakes back on (axle/dif swap) with locktite all the sudden vibration at Spruce Cabin found one of them grinding on the caliper as the bolt had backed out. Hard to find that bolt in N PA...though we did find one after a long enough search through ACE hardware.
-Nuts for the DS...just in case you end up cutting one off (best to make sure you can get your DS's on/off before you go vice waiting till on the road to realize they haven't been off since they left the factory).
-Not sure if you have a brake switch like Discos do...but that's a good thing to have and is small too.
-Tie Rod ends, may be worth carrying a couple.

As Loic points out, it's a fine balance for what you need to wheel vs what you need to get home vs storage space...I fiddle with my balance in that all the time.
r-
Ray
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
A sheet of some sort that can provide easy contrast, to put underneath the truck or work area, in case you drop a bolt or nut through the engine bay while on gravel so that it's easy to find.
Old shower curtains are great for this - fold up to almost nothing and are just the thing if the ground is wet.
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:08 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Just pack Dana and his truck.

Adrian - list looks good - I need to go thru what I have in my rear lock box and see what else I really need. Might add another lock box under the hood. I would eventually like my rig set up so that I have all the stuff I need at all times. You never know when you might find a piece of trail to explore or with a LR when you will breakdown.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, off road, trip