Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 31st, 2014, 11:57 AM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
What to do in Denver in 1.5 days

So I'm going to Denver tonight and have some interviews lined up Friday morning and afternoon. Ive been to CO but never Denver and I'm seriously considering a move (if these interviews go well).

For those that know, what would you guys recommend doing for a friday afternoon/evening and all day Saturday to get a feel for the city? I'm staying off 16th st mall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2014, 12:13 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Falling Rock Taphouse
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old July 31st, 2014, 12:14 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Tilted Kilt on the 16th st mall

Will you have a car?

16th st mall and Larimer st, LoDo area are the best parts of the city proper. Chances are that if you move there, you'll probably be out in the burbs so I would make it a point to check out Golden and Boulder if you have time.

I lived just outside of Boulder for a year (Superior) and if I ever move back, I'm headed to the Golden area instead. Although Evergreen is really nice, too. Stay away from the east (Aurora, etc) there's nothing worthwhile out that way. Just sprawl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2014, 12:17 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
So I'm going to Denver tonight and have some interviews lined up Friday morning and afternoon. Ive been to CO but never Denver and I'm seriously considering a move (if these interviews go well).

For those that know, what would you guys recommend doing for a friday afternoon/evening and all day Saturday to get a feel for the city? I'm staying off 16th st mall.
you can smoke a now legal joint as soon as you get there. When ur done you can go to a chinese buffet. When your done with that, a day and a half will have passed, along with opportunity and responsibility you will realize you don't need.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 31st, 2014, 12:17 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
A trip to Red Rock.
Old July 31st, 2014, 12:36 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
you can smoke a now legal joint as soon as you get there. When ur done you can go to a chinese buffet. When your done with that, a day and a half will have passed, along with opportunity and responsibility you will realize you don't need.

As fun as that sounds, I don't know if smoking J's before 5 interviews in a row is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic
Tilted Kilt on the 16th st mall

Will you have a car?

16th st mall and Larimer st, LoDo area are the best parts of the city proper. Chances are that if you move there, you'll probably be out in the burbs so I would make it a point to check out Golden and Boulder if you have time.

I lived just outside of Boulder for a year (Superior) and if I ever move back, I'm headed to the Golden area instead. Although Evergreen is really nice, too. Stay away from the east (Aurora, etc) there's nothing worthwhile out that way. Just sprawl.

Thanks for the tips. Others had mentioned LoDo and Larimer St. Looks like I'm going to be doing my own personal pub crawl down 16th street and Larimer. Regarding your thoughts on the burbs, does nobody live in the city or is it just that you're assuming I wont be able to fit a 90 in the parking garages?

I also won't have a car, so I don't think checking out the neighboring areas or Red Rocks is in the cards for this trip. If the interviews go well, I will probably follow up with a proper scouting trip.
Old July 31st, 2014, 12:48 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
As fun as that sounds, I don't know if smoking J's before 5 interviews in a row is a good idea.
once you start, you'll realize how silly the interviews are, and how you don't need a job to be happy. Just make sure you have enough in your wallet to buy a multi-colored knitted cap and a used backpack to store you're dumpster dive food, doggy rope leash, and goodwill blanket in.

When you're done with the buffet, flip "the man" the bird and go find yourself a decent feral dog.

PS: people on the street will just give you money if you're high enough to ask for it. Self respect is for the weak.

Old July 31st, 2014, 12:51 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
once you start, you'll realize how silly the interviews are, and how you don't need a job to be happy. Just make sure you have enough in your wallet to buy a multi-colored knitted cap and a used backpack to store you're dumpster dive food, doggy rope leash, and goodwill blanket in. When you're done with the buffet, flip "the man" the bird and go find yourself a decent feral dog. PS: people on the street will just give you money if you're high enough to ask for it. Self respect is for the weak.
#feralbeagles
Old July 31st, 2014, 12:51 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:

once you start, you'll realize how silly the interviews are, and how you don't need a job to be happy. Just make sure you have enough in your wallet to buy a multi-colored knitted cap and a used backpack to store you're dumpster dive food, doggy rope leash, and goodwill blanket in.

When you're done with the buffet, flip "the man" the bird and go find yourself a decent feral dog.

PS: people on the street will just give you money if you're high enough to ask for it. Self respect is for the weak.
So Denver is exactly like LA
Old July 31st, 2014, 01:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
So Denver is exactly like LA
no. the homeless don't write "vietnam vet" on their cardboard, and businesses dont use dual language signage.

totally different.

Old July 31st, 2014, 01:11 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My Brothers Bar is a good place for lunch, The Spot is another.
Breakfast King for breakfast. Red Rocks and if you are into hippie bars then Cervantes is a good one next to the Fillmore on colfax.
Old July 31st, 2014, 01:17 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Just remember you ain't at sea level no more! Hydrate!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:08 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Definitely walk down Larimer and/or Blake up to about Coors Field (20th st). Nothing going on past that (warehouses and apartment buildings). Although the Great Divide brewery is nearby.

Not that many people live "in the city" in Denver. There are a good number of apartment buildings, but any of the neighborhoods/houses that are worth living in are outside the city. Coming from LA you will be surprised how small downtown Denver really is. It's like 30 square blocks, made up of office buildings and a few retail/nightlife districts like 16th Street, LoDo, Larimer etc.

The Fillmore on Colfax is one of my favorite music venues I've ever been to. The rest of Colfax sucks though.
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:10 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
There's no dual language signage in Texas either. Everything is in Spanish. No English here.

------ Follow up post added July 31st, 2014 01:11 PM ------

Quote:
no. the homeless don't write "vietnam vet" on their cardboard, and businesses dont use dual language signage. totally different.
Forgot the quote.
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:17 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

This thread is kind of making me miss it. The Cowboy Lounge is wild.

If you want to hit a really cool, tiny little dive and drink PBR with some hipsters while catching some awesome live music, go to El Chapultepec. Bring hand sanitizer.

By the way, the ride from the airport into downtown sucks. Nothing like 45 minutes in a cab on the highway to unwind after a flight. Although that's similar to LA.
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:44 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
The 16th street mall is for tourists and homeless people. Walk across the pedestrian bridge (take 16th st across the park over I-25) and a whole new world will open up. This is the Highlands neighborhood.

The new hot bar is a speakeasy at 31st and Tejon called Williams and Graham. They specialize in Cocktails. The Prost Brewing Company is around 19th and Central. There is a bunch of restaurants and other bars between about 15th st and 19th St and Tejon St and Central St. All on the north side of I-25.
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:57 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Been a cloudy / rainy week not typical for Colorado hopefully it is nice when you get here

Downtown Denver

A fewplaces I like to go to eat around downtown Denver or a short drive
- Tamayo
- Capital Grill
- GB fish and chips 2 locations one on Sheridan across from solans lake and one on Broadway by i-25 the one by sloans lake is nice to sit at and view the lake and one on Broadway is a little more Bar like and authentic
- Taco's YE Salsa go east on Colfax if you want to see how our taco dives compare to LA best to go during the day
- Brother bar across I-25 in the lo-hi area
- Rootdown in the Highlands area
- Fados Irish pub
- Rodizio Grill (Meat meat and more meat)
- Ali Baba grill in Golden (great Gyros for cheap)
- Cherry Cricket Cherry creek area (amazing burgers)
- Delectable egg 2 location downtown great breakfast
- Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs
- Little India
- Twin Peaks by Golden Decent food and nice views
- rock bottom brewery

Stay away from Coyote Ugly, Tilted Kilt, bubba gump, cheesecake factory and the big chains you can get that anywhere.

Things to do

Ride the mall buss it is free and take it all of the way to the north end and walk over the bridge and eat some ice cream at Little man then explore the lo-hi area

check out coors field (Fados is right next door)

Check out the REI cool old building and stuff around it

Drive up 32 AVE in teh highlands area a nice neighborhood if you have to live close to downtown (from about Federal to Sheridan) then stay on 32nd all the way to Golden.

When in golden walk around downtown, do the Coors Brewery tour, drive up Lookout MT and go to buffalo bill grave and the Cabrini

The Denver measure of nature and science is nice

Lots of historic places in downtown Denver Molly Brown house, Brown palace and much more

Segway tour of downtown is supposed to be nice

Go to Washington park for a v ball game or a run

See if the free summer concerts are going on at 16th and Glennarm

So much stuff to do

--------------------------------------

I have lived in Downtown 16th and Glennarm downtown is neat and there is always something to do but parking is a PITA and the condos / apts are small. Love being able to do so much stuff without having to get in a car but like working on my cars and having space so we moved.

Lived in Golden, nice place to live but really expensive

Highlands is a neat little neighborhood if you have to be close to town but be prepared to pay for it.

Applewood is between Golden and the Highlands really like that hood.

Highlands Ranch you can use the Light Rail to get to downtown Denver, GREAT place to live my fav so far of the places I have lived in Denver. Check out the SW side of HR and you will be close to 470 and the light rail that goes to Denver

There are some nice places to live in Aurora mostly on the SE side by 470 around gartrell smokey hill and Quincy (talons reach, Blackstone, the Pinery)

Littleton and englewood have some nice place to live
Old July 31st, 2014, 03:10 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
- Twin Peaks by Golden Decent food and nice views
Yes.
Old July 31st, 2014, 05:11 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Thanks guys, you've given me more than enough places to see (drink at) this weekend

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat