what to do in breckinridge CO in mid oct? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

what to do in breckinridge CO in mid oct?

I'm heading to Breckinridge COlorado from Oct 19th - 24th, anybody know what the weather will be like? I've heard there is a possibility of skiing then is that really true? i was hoping for some hiking maybe biking... a few nice mountain drives etc... should i plan to bring ski's or leave em home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

not much skiing yet at that point

Only A Basin and Loveland might be open then, but I think even those are closer to Halloween.

Good news is that all the restaurants that stay open through that month usually drop down to 50% off.

Its late fall, the weather is cold, but the ski areas havent opened yet (Read: very few tourists) that's peak dead season.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:28 PM
jabber
m j

Really depends on the year. Last year I was skiing the first weekend in Oct!!! As to the weather, expect the whole range.... Hot during the day and cold at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Agreed. There is always the publicity invloved to open first (between the two aforementioned hills) but if they are open at that time, dont expect very much terrain to be open.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

so if it's a no snow season will there be much hiking to be had? I was told to pack for all four seasons, so thats no big deal, and cheap food is fine with me! I'd love to do some biking bu i guess if there is snow on the ground thats a no go... what about in the lower mountain areas, maybe the trails will be still useable?
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I used to live in Breckenridge after college. Four seasons for sure, it could rain, sleet, snow, blizzard, whiteout or be beautiful at that time of year.

Loveland tries to open as close to Halloween as they can, night time temps should be near freezing. I doubt you will find any lift operating skiing but you can hike and ski on some of the shady spots under the peaks. There are lots of trails around to ride on in your Land Rover.

Mud flood was what we called the spring thaw and fall rain switching to snow periods. Most people just leave for Mexico that time of year, one year somebody put up a sign that said "would the last person out, please turn off the lights".

You should have a good time in the "Kingdom". Just whatever you do don't call it "Breck".
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

You're going to be up there during the 2nd combined rifle deer/elk season. That's going to add a few more people to the woods than you might have expected. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a hunter myself, but you sure have a chance of running into people behaving badly. The use of ATV's during hunting season here has gotten completely out of control, so there is no telling where you'll run into one. I'm not saying your going to get shot, and it really is only a few bad apples, but forewarned is forearmed.

Quandry Peak is just outside town, you may as well knock off a 14'er while you are in the area. There are a couple good trails going to historic places in the area, I'll have to look for the names and trail heads and post back.
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
I used to live in Breckenridge after college. Four seasons for sure, it could rain, sleet, snow, blizzard, whiteout or be beautiful at that time of year.

Loveland tries to open as close to Halloween as they can, night time temps should be near freezing. I doubt you will find any lift operating skiing but you can hike and ski on some of the shady spots under the peaks. There are lots of trails around to ride on in your Land Rover.

Mud flood was what we called the spring thaw and fall rain switching to snow periods. Most people just leave for Mexico that time of year, one year somebody put up a sign that said "would the last person out, please turn off the lights".

You should have a good time in the "Kingdom". Just whatever you do don't call it "Breck".
no rover for this trip, we're flying into denver, If it's raining the whole time we'll probably just drive around, maybe go into denver, take a day trip to colorado springs, hike and ski is always possible, but that mean packing up the ski's...

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
You're going to be up there during the 2nd combined rifle deer/elk season. That's going to add a few more people to the woods than you might have expected. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a hunter myself, but you sure have a chance of running into people behaving badly. The use of ATV's during hunting season here has gotten completely out of control, so there is no telling where you'll run into one. I'm not saying your going to get shot, and it really is only a few bad apples, but forewarned is forearmed.

Quandry Peak is just outside town, you may as well knock off a 14'er while you are in the area. There are a couple good trails going to historic places in the area, I'll have to look for the names and trail heads and post back.
let me know about the trails.
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Fish the Blue. BWO's should be out in force if you're lucky enough to get clouds and drizzle.
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Fish the Blue. BWO's should be out in force if you're lucky enough to get clouds and drizzle.
bwo's? i don't fish, its far too slow paced...
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
BWO= Blue winged olive. About a #16 would do. And it doesn't seem slow paced when you're trying to sprint across the highway in chest waders to get down to the river.

Sorry, I owe you some hiking trails.

Tonight!
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:43 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:

You should get your hands on a copy of this....it's flyfishing on acid!!!
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:40 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer

You should get your hands on a copy of this....it's flyfishing on acid!!!
i have no idea what that movie is about!

so i'm still trying to figure out what we're going to do out there, thanks to chance i've got an interview, so that'll be a day i'll spend in colorado springs, we'll probably go to denver for at least a day as well, any suggested activities while we are there?

I'll be there in 2 weeks any chance there will still be some hiking to be found?
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:53 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
I'm heading to Breckinridge COlorado from Oct 19th - 24th, anybody know what the weather will be like? I've heard there is a possibility of skiing then is that really true? i was hoping for some hiking maybe biking... a few nice mountain drives etc... should i plan to bring ski's or leave em home?
Plenty om Mtn Bikes to rent in Breck, also hiking will be fantastic Berk and Rilies (sp?) Irish Pub good food and HOT bar maids

May be up for a trail run up Red Cone / Radical Hill if the Weather holds.

Have Fun

MH
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:00 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen
Plenty om Mtn Bikes to rent in Breck, also hiking will be fantastic Berk and Rilies (sp?) Irish Pub good food and HOT bar maids

May be up for a trail run up Red Cone / Radical Hill if the Weather holds.

Have Fun

MH
i love hot barmaids, my wife doesn't though... should have married that experimental girl i dated in colege
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:12 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
i love hot barmaids, my wife doesn't though... should have married that experimental girl i dated in colege
Wear sunglasses she'll never catch you looking....well almost never.....beem married 17 years this December
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:34 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen
Wear sunglasses she'll never catch you looking....well almost never.....beem married 17 years this December
i'm not the "wear sunglasses at night" type, esp indoors at that!

I defn hope to get to go mountain biking

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat