What should I expect.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Low mileage means nothing. When I got my 94, it had 46,000 miles and was owned by a guy who for all intensive purposes took great care of it. In six years he put 6000 miles on it. To me with truck driven that little you have a lot of owners who don't notice problems because they aren't driving the trucks enough. When I took delivery of the truck I realized right away the stock shocks were shot from sitting as were the cats, not to mention a hairline crack at the top of my gas tank which made me replace it. These are all things that would have been noticed if the previous owner was putting miles on it. Now I still have a fairly low miles truck 65k but it is in much better shape because I drive it all the time and notice when things are out of whack. Typically these super low miles ones are owned by people that arent "defender" people and dont have a clue. Except Brian. His truck is low miles and he has a clue. He just doesn't want to get it dirty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:29 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Agree with Barry for once for extending my point (yup,I said it). I got a higher miles one, have had basically no issues with it, and just have fun with it...which is ultimately what they were built for. Someone got some dirt on it yesterday, though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-857694441.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	33756   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1969994841.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	33757  

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Damn Horsey and I agreeing. That is awful. I wont agree on the tire carrier rotting from the inside out though. Most have their powder coating fall off and rust on the outside before water ruins it inside. Steps though are a different story. On my 110 I stuck a screw driver through a soft spot and a gallon of rust water poured out from the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Damn Horsey and I agreeing. That is awful. I wont agree on the tire carrier rotting from the inside out though. Most have their powder coating fall off and rust on the outside before water ruins it inside. Steps though are a different story. On my 110 I stuck a screw driver through a soft spot and a gallon of rust water poured out from the inside.
Oh yeah, steps, too from the inside out. How would the front bumper and steps rust the same way, but not the tire carrier? Once they've bubbled and split, there pretty much done.
Forgot to mention that you should be worried about that, because the rear tire carrier is one of those original things that is very difficult to obtain.
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:13 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

You mean the pushbar on the front? I agree with that. Anyway as for tire carriers, I have never seen one so far gone a good blasting and recoating didn't fix it perfectly.

The rear crossmember can be redone if the rust isn't through.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barryri...7613242026920/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barryri...7613242026920/

The bulkhead rust (only what we have be shown) sucks. That alone would make me run away unless it was beyond cheap
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

See!! these guys are looking out for you! Serious bulk head rust would be my concern!! the other stuff is mostly cosmetic...40k is way tooooooo much from the way it looks from the photos!! You have too many choices. Even if you just shopped this site, which is where I found my two its worth the wait!!. And thats two in three months!! And I paid alot less than 40k and the 90's I picked up you couldnt hold a lighthouse to.
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Typically these super low miles ones are owned by people that arent "defender" people and dont have a clue. Except Brian. His truck is low miles and he has a clue. He just doesn't want to get it dirty.
Ha! Yes, if a truck gets any dirt on it, it's at least $20K LESS in value...that means some of the trucks on here should = FREE.

Anyway, everyone's told you that thing ain't worth $40K. Being a one owner, low mile truck it would be worth high $$$ but not with all of that rust, etc...

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post
Ha! Yes, if a truck gets any dirt on it, it's at least $20K LESS in value...that means some of the trucks on here should = FREE.

Anyway, everyone's told you that thing ain't worth $40K. Being a one owner, low mile truck it would be worth high $$$ but not with all of that rust, etc...

Using that logic I would have to pay someone to take my truck!

Craig is this really your truck and you want to know if you can get $40k for it?
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:27 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

I dont know where Monkton, MD is, but if you are serious about buying that d90, you might be able to have someone on this board who is local to you go and check it out with you. Would be worth asking around. That truck is not a 40k truck due to the condition from your pics. The rust in the pictures only begs the question...how bad is the underbody and areas we cant see?

40k mile truck means nothing, excep the engine, drive/powertrain have low miles. Id rather have a d90 with a really good body and frame for 20k. For another 8-15grand you can drop in a new engine (no/low miles) and lots of other goodies and have a sweet d90.
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin
...Id rather have a d90 with a really good body and frame for 20k. For another 8-15grand you can drop in a new engine (no/low miles) and lots of other goodies and have a sweet d90.
X2 for that
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM
ADK46er
Craig Longenecker
97 D90 SW

Really, it isn't my truck. I have been looking at every site over the weekend and have seen a few good deals. People still seem to be asking a ton....you just don't know what they actually go for because no one reports that.
This has been great advice and can't thank everyone enough.
So I saw someone bring up color. Sounds like blue and black are rare and green is the most common. I see a ton of white ones as well. Where does red fall with all of this.
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Red is easy to find.

Just to give you an example on price, Mark sold his mint 95 with zero rust and in perfect condition with a badger top, 130 steel wheels with 65k miles for mid 30s. Now some will say that was high but it was a perfect truck that ust had a 60k service so no real issues.

If you want to spend 35 to 40 you will get a mint truck.
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:13 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
40k miles over 16 years = 2,500 miles / year....

that means the truck was sitting (and from the looks of it rotting) for most of its life.

Now, that doesn't mean the truck is worth nothing, but just that there are going to be lots of issues in the truck to fix. If you're looking for a project then maybe it's for you. But it sounds like it is most definitely not a $40k mint defender.
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:41 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If you are looking to spend around 40K, buy the red 97 here in GA. It is perfect. No rust at all.

Old December 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

fyi..i believe there are actually two colors of green... conniston green and british racing green. i believe conniston was on 94/95 and british racing green was available on 97's. someone, please correct me right if i am wrong. in addition to the colors you mention there is AA yellow. some like to roll big bird style.

edit...three greens...willow green was available too
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:03 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
run away
x2.

There are several out there selling for A LOT less.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28622

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28372

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28253

$40k is wishful thinking.
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
fyi..i believe there are actually two colors of green... conniston green and british racing green. i believe conniston was on 94/95 and british racing green was available on 97's. someone, please correct me right if i am wrong. in addition to the colors you mention there is AA yellow. some like to roll big bird style.

edit...three greens...willow green was available too
You are right on color.

Really just buy what you like. There are plenty of options. To save money buy privately but make sure you have the truck inspected by someone who knows what they are looking at.
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:48 PM
ADK46er
Craig Longenecker
97 D90 SW

You are right, the more time I spend looking the more options I am seeing. At first I was rushing to buy, but now I know I can take my time on this.

By the way, if any one is interested I am selling my FJ40 to help with my new addiction....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	33784  
Old December 6th, 2010, 10:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It's a bit of a haul, but bring it down to the NOVA happy hour in Arlington and you can get some honest feedback on the condition. With the rust shown, I can tell you that's no 40k truck though
Old December 6th, 2010, 10:39 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Craig - PM me your contact information and price range - I have a friend who might be interested in your FJ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat