Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 12th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
What should I do to my Defender

I have a 1989 RHD Defender 90 3.5 V8. The vehicle has only done about 80K miles as verified by its full service history. There is some corrosion on the door bottoms and around the fuel fill up. The foot wells have already been repaired but there is some corrosion between the two plates that have been welded. Bulk head is absolutely solid. I believe the chassis is sound. Headliner is sagging

I would like this vehicle to be my daily driver so if you had 15K to spend including labor costs what would you do?

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2016, 09:20 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Put some thought into it and make it yours.
I am a purist at heart and try to keep mine that way as much as possible. Major upgrades using Land Rover designs is ok in my opinion.
Old June 12th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Depends whether you or someone else is doing the work. Though you did say labor costs so I assume you are not. You "believe" the chassis sound? Probably should establish that with a little more certainty. Get under there with a small hammer and see how it sounds when you hit it. Poke a screwdriver into all the corners.

15k will get you quite a bit. But, it sounds like you need to drive the vehicle for a while. It will be able to tell you what it needs better than a random sampling of Defender junkies on the internet who can't see the truck and don't know you or your tastes and abilities.

One of the most useful things I learned early on was from Bruce @ DAP, who told me that Land Rovers will almost never fail on you unexpectedly. They have a way of "talking" to you and letting know when something is wrong. If you don't learn how to listen, then you'll never be happy or comfortable driving one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
I have a 1989 RHD Defender 90 3.5 V8. The vehicle has only done about 80K miles as verified by its full service history. There is some corrosion on the door bottoms and around the fuel fill up. The foot wells have already been repaired but there is some corrosion between the two plates that have been welded. Bulk head is absolutely solid. I believe the chassis is sound. Headliner is sagging

I would like this vehicle to be my daily driver so if you had 15K to spend including labor costs what would you do?

Thanks
Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2016, 10:18 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Great advice Dave. So true about hearing what they are saying.
Old June 12th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

Spend it all on mechanicals. Refresh motor, transfercase rebuild, address every seal in front and rear axles, new fluids, brake service, suspension overhaul, fuel pump? Then if cash left over address the aesthetics, interior and exterior etc.
Old June 12th, 2016, 11:16 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdoc View Post
Spend it all on mechanicals. Refresh motor, transfercase rebuild, address every seal in front and rear axles, new fluids, brake service, suspension overhaul, fuel pump? Then if cash left over address the aesthetics, interior and exterior etc.

This!!!

Make it sound and fun to drive then add in the extras. I learned the hard way due to my excitement and being uneducated on Defenders. If at all possible do all the work yourself. Even if you aren't mechanically inclined you can learn to be. These aren't complicated machines. If you don't have a decent tool kit, use some of that $15K to buy one (get a rolling tool chest tool otherwise you'll spend more time walking back and forth to get tools as no two nuts/bolts/parts are the same size ). My truck spent 14 of 20 months I owned her in the shop in two 7 month stretches and in the end I ended up doing most of what I wanted done. It was an expensive lesson but I now have a lot more confidence in taking care of problems on the trail or side of the road.
Old June 12th, 2016, 02:30 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
This!!!

Make it sound and fun to drive then add in the extras. I learned the hard way due to my excitement and being uneducated on Defenders. If at all possible do all the work yourself. Even if you aren't mechanically inclined you can learn to be. These aren't complicated machines. If you don't have a decent tool kit, use some of that $15K to buy one (get a rolling tool chest tool otherwise you'll spend more time walking back and forth to get tools as no two nuts/bolts/parts are the same size ). My truck spent 14 of 20 months I owned her in the shop in two 7 month stretches and in the end I ended up doing most of what I wanted done. It was an expensive lesson but I now have a lot more confidence in taking care of problems on the trail or side of the road.

X3. Invest in yourself as a Land Rover owner. Land Rover has been making mechanics of owners since 1948...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender