Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 30th, 2006, 11:04 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Smile Cool Thread!

Cool Thread,

I first took notice of Land Rover in 1992 when the D110 was being introduced. I liked it a lot, thought it was ultra cool, but too big to wheel effectively (okay, I was wrong, but it was my thought at the time). In 1994 I caught the press intros for the 90 in Fourwheeler, 4 Wheel & Off-Road, etc. I literally fell in love, and had to have one. Unfortunately it was beyond my means at the time, but I followed it in an obsessive way.

I collected articles from every magazine I could find that tested one, modified one, etc. as well as all Defender 90 Ads I came across. I put together a binder with all of these articles preserved in plastic sleeves, and added to it whenever I found something Land Rover related of interest. One binder grew into five. It was an obsession even before I owned it.

In 1997 I began looking for a used 90, and in August found an AA Yellow ’95 soft top, just what I had been lusting after. It was bought off-lease in Jacksonville Florida, and was on Danny Sullivan Lexus’s used car lot. Some wonderful enthusiast on the Rovers North board tipped me off to its presence. It had 14,125 miles on it when I picked it up and drove it back to Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
Almost forgot....at our wedding we had 2 cakes...a regular wedding cake and a grooms cake. The grooms cake was shaped like a mountain with a muddy road going up the side and for a cake topper we had a toy D90 with a bride & groom inside. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of it.
Thankfully my wife is more than understanding. No grooms cake at our wedding, but the cake topped was a Land Rover! See the photo and the caption engraved on the plaque and tell me it wasn’t appropriate (“Taking the Plunge”)!

After my wife and I bought our house (wife came after the defender, btw), she commissioned a muralist to reproduce one of my favorite pictures of the Defender off-road on the wall, almost life size (is she great or what?), and helped to decorate my home office with a Land Rover/Safari theme. Framed Land Rover ads and posters also adorn the walls (check out my putfile page below for more office photos).

Needless to say the obsession has only continued to get worse as the years pass.... (Photo of Wall Muraland cake topper attached..)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Office Mural1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	7240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cake Topper1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	7241  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2006, 07:45 PM
parkcity4x4classic
Susan C. Daniero
D-90 Source Vendor

Smile Beluga Black D-90 North Arlington Virginia

The first Defender I ever saw lived about 2 blocks from me in North Arlington, Virginia. I bought my house on N. Quincy Street near 18th North in 1998 & the Defender showed up soon after. I think the guy who owns it (who might be a D-90 source member) is a police officer or detective of some kind. He had a fully outfitted D-90 soft top, really kept it nice. I saw it every day when I came home from work while I lived there for 7 years. When I decided to move to Utah & start the business I initially wanted to specialize only in FJs. I got the opportunity to drive a friends D-90 & was really amazed that they don't only look good but drive great.

Thanks for getting me hooked officer!
Susan
Authorized Dealer-TLC ICON™
Phone: (435) 731-0748
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Utah Dealer #6541
Old October 30th, 2006, 09:46 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Cool Thread,

I first took notice of Land Rover in 1992 when the D110 was being introduced. I liked it a lot, thought it was ultra cool, but too big to wheel effectively (okay, I was wrong, but it was my thought at the time). In 1994 I caught the press intros for the 90 in Fourwheeler, 4 Wheel & Off-Road, etc. I literally fell in love, and had to have one. Unfortunately it was beyond my means at the time, but I followed it in an obsessive way.

I collected articles from every magazine I could find that tested one, modified one, etc. as well as all Defender 90 Ads I came across. I put together a binder with all of these articles preserved in plastic sleeves, and added to it whenever I found something Land Rover related of interest. One binder grew into five. It was an obsession even before I owned it.

In 1997 I began looking for a used 90, and in August found an AA Yellow ’95 soft top, just what I had been lusting after. It was bought off-lease in Jacksonville Florida, and was on Danny Sullivan Lexus’s used car lot. Some wonderful enthusiast on the Rovers North board tipped me off to its presence. It had 14,125 miles on it when I picked it up and drove it back to Maryland.

Thankfully my wife is more than understanding. No grooms cake at our wedding, but the cake topped was a Land Rover! See the photo and the caption engraved on the plaque and tell me it wasn’t appropriate (“Taking the Plunge”)!

After my wife and I bought our house (wife came after the defender, btw), she commissioned a muralist to reproduce one of my favorite pictures of the Defender off-road on the wall, almost life size (is she great or what?), and helped to decorate my home office with a Land Rover/Safari theme. Framed Land Rover ads and posters also adorn the walls (check out my putfile page below for more office photos).

Needless to say the obsession has only continued to get worse as the years pass.... (Photo of Wall Muraland cake topper attached..)
Does your wife have any sisters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2006, 02:01 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I've always been into 4x4's, my dad used to supply trucks to the logging and mining companies up north so there was always a 4x4 around and we used to spend all of our vacations exploring dirt roads up and down the west coast. My first introduction to Land Rovers was a Camel add showing some guy camped next to a lake in what looked like Africa with a Series II 88, I was hooked. I then started following the camel trophy and bought my first Series IIA 88 when I was 18. When the Defenders came out I lusted for them but had to wait 20 years before I found one I could afford.

My wife loves the 110 but it's funny that she grew up just down the road from where they're built and never thought of owning one till she came to Canada.
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:39 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bterpstra
Does your wife have any sisters?

Sorry, she is an only child...

Old October 31st, 2006, 09:55 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
I had been casually looking at FJ 40's and thinking about buying one for a fishing/hunting/exploring truck. In 1999 or 2000 I saw a Defender near where I lived and thought it was the coolest sUv that I had ever seen. But I had no idea what it was. After seeing it up close in a parking lot I still wasn't sure what it was, I knew nothing about Land Rovers. I did a little research and decided someday when the kids were out of the house and on their own I had to have one, and then I pretty much just forgot about it because they were still young.

While on a house hunting trip for a move back home to Tulsa, I saw a 95 SW sitting on a LR lot. I whipped into the lot and showed my wife and kids the vehicle I had dreamed of someday owning. We talked to a salesman briefly, looked it over closely and went on our way. Two weeks later we were back in Tulsa on another house hunting trip, I met my wife at the airport and the first thing she said was follow me, I have something to show you. She led me down to the Rover dealership, pulled in near the D and said "it's yours but you have to make the deal".

I came so close to saying no, the practicle thing, and at first said we really can't spend that kind of money on a "play thing". Well she insisted so I got on a computer and the phone and tried to get an idea of what it was worth. I probably ended up paying about 2K more than what I should have but it has been a great truck, no leaks, low mileage, dependable and it's been a pure hoot to fish/hunt and explore/wheel in. And hey, it even keeps me out of the pool hall !!!.

Every time I think about the Defender I also think about what a sweet wife I have.

That is an awesome story!

I am thinking with a few of the prices I have seen recently (namely that 300TDI here in Boulder) that I overpaid for mine too. But hey, its a hell of a lot of fun, and it is definitely better than a crack habit.
Old October 31st, 2006, 10:07 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
That is an awesome story!

I am thinking with a few of the prices I have seen recently (namely that 300TDI here in Boulder) that I overpaid for mine too. But hey, its a hell of a lot of fun, and it is definitely better than a crack habit.

One of my favorite signature lines that I have seen on this website said "Most of my money I spend on beer and Rovers, the rest I just waste". I can't remember who said it.
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:58 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Marlin Perkins was an influence of course, but probably subconsiously...

Rovers entered my life after I had moved to a 10 acre spread in Searsmont, Maine, back around 1980. With the recreational upkeep of pasture fencing and other farm chores, I was thinking about options such as a Kubota tractor for the place. A dairy farmer friend told me about a Russian, Nick Derivstky, who was living off the land a few miles away. Nick had two land rovers -- a 109 and an 88 -- and wanted to sell either one of the two. My friend explained how Nick was taking care of his whole farm with the rovers, and what a great utility truck they were. I went to see Nick one cold winter afternoon, and took the 4-banger 109 for a drive in the snow. I was in heaven. The spartan utility of the vehicle and the sheer mechanical simplicity (except for the Weber carb) cried out to me. That was rover #1.

My 110 found me 20 years later in Los Angeles. The truck kept throwing itself in front of me, with for sale signs in the window. I hated the NAS cage -- still longing for the simplicity of the 109. Finally one day I made an offer I didn't think would be accepted, and there she was in my driveway.

5 years later she's become a hybrid with a TVR (but rover-based) engine, speed-tuned suspension, redone interior, etc, etc. I still dislike the look of the cage but have grown to appreciate it and can't quite see her without her ungainly exoskeleton...

That's my story. One day I'd like a AA ST as a stable-mate.

Doug W.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
original