What ‘Power Wheels’ type Vehicle does your son/daughter have? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 14th, 2008, 10:37 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
What ‘Power Wheels’ type Vehicle does your son/daughter have?

What ‘Power Wheels’ type Vehicle does your son/daughter have?

Okay, I think the time is right to start looking into our daughter’s first ‘car’. I of course I would like to see it be a miniature Defender, but since neither Fisher Price Power Wheels, nor Peg Perego make a Defender I guess I am going to be stuck with a J**p of some sort. I know about the little Rebel Replicas, but I’m not spending that much on a toy, especially at the current currency exchange rates.

It seems to me my best options are the Peg Perego Gaucho and Gaucho superpower (FJ-40 style Land Cruiser) or the PowerWheels J**p Hurricane. I like the Gaucho’s better, but they are around $650-$700 for the 12V version and around $1,000 for the 24V superpower version. Seems excessive for a kids toy.

All the others seem severely inferior in ability to drive on anything other than pavement. So I was wondering what all of my fellow Land Rover nuts have put their kids in, how they like them, and how they have modified them (you know, rubberized wheels, higher voltage batteries, etc).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2008, 10:54 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My daughter can't be trusted with a motor yet. I got her one of these:
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 14th, 2008, 10:54 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
IMO, I'd pick one up used at a garage sale and see how much use she gets out of it. My son used his for one summer and that was pretty much it. He was on a bike the following summer and hasn't looked back. The Power wheels are pitifully slow even if you plan to go walking beside them. Now that he's 10, every once in awhile, we go to a bumper car place that's about 30 minutes away...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2008, 11:37 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245

I'd love to buy my son this kit: http://realifetoys.com/Toylander2.htm
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:54 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

We have the best options are the Peg Perego Gaucho... I have it completely stickered from the different LR events and sponsors. It rocks. The kids love it and it is more unique and cooler then the smaller jeeps.

We bought it at a Church Yard Sale for $25.00, I had to clean a few connections and put a screw in the rear shock, but other than keeping the batteries charged, it has been problemless for the past 4 years. Although it needs new batteries now.

Scott

Old July 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
We have 2 power wheels jeeps (7yrs, and 2 yrs) and one peg pergo gator (5 yrs). I would stay away frome the peg pergo as our gator has had issues and I got tires of messing with it. We got about 1 yrs use from it while both power wheels are still going strong (granted we buy new bateries every coup[le of years.

-Jeff
Could not agree more. My power wheel stuff for my three boys has been through just about everthing and is still going strong(minus old batteries). We have a peg pergo john deere tractor that has been nothing but a pain in the ars. We have the power wheel Kawasaki quad and my kids just tear it up on that thing. It will go in dirt or gravel pretty darn good.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:36 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

My daughter has a Power Wheels Barbie Take Along Tune Jeep, she loved it for maybe two months. She liked the little radio part of it the best. She told me that she couldn't drive it anymore because it wasn't a Land Rover....to say the least I was really proud. But I told her that it would be OK if she drove it because it was pink and no one drives a pink Land Rover. Then of course the next week we saw a pink panther (military series truck) on eBay and she called me on that one.

The battery would last all weekend driving with her and her little friends. Cost about $225. But like Ade said, once she learned to ride a bike it was over for that thing.
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:39 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
My 2 older ones are past the stage of battery powered vehicles but had some fun with the few we have (Gator and a Barbie Jeep) But the 2 year old is almost there and has a John Deere tractor ready (although I'm bad about keeping them charged).

For the older ones I was thinking of getting a gas powered go-kart. I have a path along my back fence that I made to get my mower/wheelbarrow and any other equipment around and can visualize a go-kart being very fun on it. I might try to get a 50 mini pit bike for myself to fart around on.
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:44 AM
turbodave
Dave C
1983 110

We've got the Peg Perego stuff - the small JD tractor loader - now re-painted Pink for the Girl and renamed the Jane Deere - the Gator, and the polaris.

the switches on the Peg stuff are not as good as the PW - but they can be interchanged. That said - I just re-condition the switches as/when they fail - having a full set on the shelf means i can swap them and keep the kids quiet!

We're about to up the Gator and the Polaris to 18v using three 6v batteries in each... The Jane Deere is now a little too small so may be on the craigslist real soon.

If you buy a used ride-on, they can be false economy - we did this with the gator - and ended up putting new rear wheels, motors and gearboxes on it - the thing was simply 'worn out' from the previous owners. These parts cost $120 - but we did only pay $50 for it, so we were still 'up' on the price of a new one, but not by much given the time and hassle.
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:18 AM
slangel
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree

My 2 yr old has a Dora the Explorer Jeep. She is wearing it out, she loves it. That said I refused to pay what they wanted for one so I watched the craigslist here and picked up two here for under 100 bucks. One is her "daily driver" and the other I have as a "parts truck" for when the need arises to fix things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, wheel, wheels