Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

What if

Okay this should probably go in the vendors Loft but I'm really only doing a feeler..

Looks like we can put together a complete "longfield Kit" together for short spindle Rovers. It will come with a pair of 4340/300M drop in CV's and a pair of 4340 axles for $650 per set.

We're gearing up for production currently.. The CV's would have a lifetime warranty against breakage!

Thoughts?

Thanks
Keith
www.rovertracks.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM
redrover

Hi Keith, whats a short spindle rover? JP
Old July 21st, 2006, 11:58 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

ABS Style spindle, normally 93 and later RRC, D-90, Disco and 95/96 and later 110

Follow-up Post:

Just to help clarify.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492847

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Are these the heavy duty "110 style" CV joints?
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
The CV's would have a lifetime warranty against breakage!

Thoughts?

Thanks
Keith
www.rovertracks.com
Kieth

From a customers standpoint I think the price is attractive for what you’re offering, but a lifetime warranty for a CV is an even better selling point! That is as long as you’re not the one responsible for the reimbursements; otherwise you might take a bath on it.

Then again the figures you quoted are Sanskrit to me. At the risk of exposing my ignorance on the metallurgy can you explain the figures "4340/300M" for me and possibly compare it to the stock items on Defender?

I think a lot of owners on this board and especially Pirate would jump at the chance.

DJ
Old July 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM
pugwash
James Pugh

Hey Keith,

I would be interested in this definitely- but i would be even more interested in a comprehensive package which replaces the third member and the halfshafts with upgraded TOY based items.

Can i check what you mean by replacement axles- in the UK axles refer to the whole casing and innards- what does it mean to you guys?

I think you would find quite a big market here in the uk where land rover drivetrain parts are generally accepted to be made form a mixture of swiss cheese and Mallow!

if you could sell a complete kit including lockers, choice of ratio, half shafts, CVs and instructions for machining, for one price (and off a warranty) i reckon you could be onto a winner!
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:03 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
Kieth

From a customers standpoint I think the price is attractive for what you’re offering, but a lifetime warranty for a CV is an even better selling point! That is as long as you’re not the one responsible for the reimbursements; otherwise you might take a bath on it.

Then again the figures you quoted are Sanskrit to me. At the risk of exposing my ignorance on the metallurgy can you explain the figures "4340/300M" for me and possibly compare it to the stock items on Defender?

I think a lot of owners on this board and especially Pirate would jump at the chance.

DJ
I don't want to step on Kieth's toes here at all but I can help with the question. If you want a lot of information on the material, go to my web site at www.jonathansaada.com and click on technical data. It will give you a portal to find out all you need to on the material. In very basic terms, the stuff that comes stock in a rover is cold rolled steel. Basically junk. Most likely 1018 at best. 4340 is often called Chromoly. It is a soft steel that is very responsive to heat treat and can hit rockwell C scale of up to 45 rockwell. Its basically very hard, but able to absorb torsional stress. It is usually the best material offered for axleshafts. That is only because 300M is so damn expensive.

300M is like 4340 in most ways, however it can be made harder and be more resiliant to torsional stress. Basically, it's better. For a long time it was only available in aerospace applications but has made it's way into aftermarket applications recently.

I don't have the figures available to me as design is a significant factor in how the CV performs but it would not surprise me one bit if Kieths option is a full 5 times stronger than the stock units. At that price it is a remarkable option. IMHO, it completely eliminates the other in housing replacement options out there. Good luck Kieth!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

About time someone offers up a bolt in CV that is strong and at a good price.

"lifetime warranty against breakage!"
WOW
Old July 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I don't want to step on Kieth's toes here at all but I can help with the question. If you want a lot of information on the material, go to my web site at www.jonathansaada.com and click on technical data. It will give you a portal to find out all you need to on the material. In very basic terms, the stuff that comes stock in a rover is cold rolled steel. Basically junk. Most likely 1018 at best. 4340 is often called Chromoly. It is a soft steel that is very responsive to heat treat and can hit rockwell C scale of up to 45 rockwell. Its basically very hard, but able to absorb torsional stress. It is usually the best material offered for axleshafts. That is only because 300M is so damn expensive.

300M is like 4340 in most ways, however it can be made harder and be more resiliant to torsional stress. Basically, it's better. For a long time it was only available in aerospace applications but has made it's way into aftermarket applications recently.

I don't have the figures available to me as design is a significant factor in how the CV performs but it would not surprise me one bit if Kieths option is a full 5 times stronger than the stock units. At that price it is a remarkable option. IMHO, it completely eliminates the other in housing replacement options out there. Good luck Kieth!

Cool. Thanks for the info and the link Dave. Is this where you work now?

DJ
Old July 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks for all the feedback guys.. I think the price and the product will sell itself...

You have a good point DJ! No I don't want to take a bath on warranty replacement, so in this case yes it is the manufacturer that supports the warranty.. I think Dave B answered your metelurgy Q's well!

James (Pugwash) Rovertraacks offers a kit to replace your diff with a Toy FJ80 unit in the front and the 'V6" diff in the rear we offer halfshafts and 3 spline CV plus bushing ETC to do the work... It's easy enough... Many Guys over here have had good luck with and a few in the UK as well.

This first run will not be the 110 style Joint, it is the short pattern as they where typical in 93 and later NAS trucks.. Make the AEU 2522? Maybe later but I have many battles to fight and win before I can have those made!

Old July 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Id try them if i had to replace my CVs
Old July 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

"Id try them if i had to replace my CVs"

You need to try harder

Old July 21st, 2006, 07:37 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would be interested. I needed to drink a six pack anyways, and changing the cv's are as good a way as any... When are you thinking?
Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:40 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thats a great price. When I break mine, I will turn to you Keith..lol
Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:49 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I want them, let me know when they are ready to ship.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:00 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Everyone keeps saying "when they need to replace their CV". To me that means, when I go out on the trail without a CV spare... break my CV and then hopefully can make it back out in 3 wheel drive. My suggestion, Either bit the bullet now and get Keith's new offering or buy a spare for the trail.

I just ran the Rubicon and destroyed, not broke... destroyed, a CV on day 2 of 5. If I would have been without a spare, that 5 day trip may have been 7. Also that CV was the AEU2522 HD 110 CV.

If your interested in the rest of the pics you can see them here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubicon001 185.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	6059   Click image for larger version

Name:	rubicon001 190.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	6060  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rubicon001 191.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	6061  
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old July 22nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Everyone keeps saying "when they need to replace their CV". To me that means, when I go out on the trail without a CV spare... break my CV and then hopefully can make it back out in 3 wheel drive. My suggestion, Either bit the bullet now and get Keith's new offering or buy a spare for the trail.

I just ran the Rubicon and destroyed, not broke... destroyed, a CV on day 2 of 5. If I would have been without a spare, that 5 day trip may have been 7. Also that CV was the AEU2522 HD 110 CV.

If your interested in the rest of the pics you can see them here
What size tires do you run? What wheels? Do you wheel with your hard top on? What r+p? What lockers? Thanks

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 22nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
What size tires do you run? What wheels? Do you wheel with your hard top on? What r+p? What lockers? Thanks
holy interrogation

33" BGF MT, wolf wheels, hard top on and 3 jerry cans on the roof, 3.54 gears and ARB lockers

any other questions?
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
holy interrogation

33" BGF MT, wolf wheels, hard top on and 3 jerry cans on the roof, 3.54 gears and ARB lockers

any other questions?
Whats your favorite color?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
redrover

Buck do you prefer urban light poles or flag poles? We have a sick three legged flag pole in the vail walmart lot if you ever get out this way. JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat