Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 12th, 2011, 01:05 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I talked to Jeff today. We both agreed that the best course of action would be to rebuild the truck to a stock configuration and leave all the toyota stuff, huge lift, tires, at the house so that if the family ever wants to build a huge truck they will have the parts to do so. Jeff is trying to locate some stock disco axles so we can assemble the truck so that it can move under its own power. Once we do that we will talk to Mike and see about getting it shipped to ECR.
You just need axles and spindles, you don't need shafts and third members and all.
If the guys had the Toyota stuff and all let us put that in there. It makes it a better truck.
Just make it roll.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hi Guys,

Jeff was nice enough to send me a note about all this. I am not on this board as much as I was, so I had no idea what happened. I didn't know he was very religious. For me, that makes this a little better, knowing where he went.

I was with him when he broke the truck. I have to say, I have some guilt issues over this. We got his truck out, it took me 2 days and I nearly burned up my winch. It was my fault he was there. I thought the truck was capable of the trail, but the trail was harder than normal, and it got ugly. We were also all drinking beer around the campfire when he got there, so we probably should have chilled that night.

For those that need to know, he broke a front TT (or it stopped working somehow) a front stub, and a rear trailing arm. He then decided he wanted to go with toyota diffs via a Rovertracks kit. He has the diff housings modified (welded them up for him). So a rover diff is not going to fit back in there.

I don't know if I missed it, but I think that someone should ask his wife what she wants as far as stock or not stock. The car can be made a roller pretty easily. Finished will be a good amount of work. He still needs to source the other toyota diff. I think he has all the parts for one axle.

I want to help, but to be completely honest, I just can't untill after KOH this year. I already committed to completely rebuilding a race car for another friend that is down on luck right now. That is going to put me out till febuary. I do have a car hauler that you all can borrow, the only issue is it is in Salt Lake right now. I could get it back though if you decide that a caravan back east is the best way. Please let me know what I can do. Thanks

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I was thinking about upgrading my front and rear trailing arms to the terra firma ones from BP. If I do you guys can have mine if you need them.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I might have some stock rear links, I could also donate rear axles and diff
Old December 12th, 2011, 02:05 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Well, we don't know what Brad's wife really wants for the truck: stock vs. modded. She wasn't able to meet with us on Saturday. To be honest, it's not a priority to her at all right now and I think she and the family friend are looking to us for direction. I don't think there is a rush to get this done. Like I said, it would be great to have it done sooner than later, but there is no deadline. Plus, his son has several years before he's old enough to drive this thing anyway.

I think getting it back to stock would make it easier to repair in the future, right? So maybe putting in the Toyota stuff and the new lift isn't the best route. In any case, we'll need to consider what will be best for the family in the long run and go that way.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

You guys need to sit down with the wife at some point and see what she wants and then we/you do that.
She is the only one that can shed light on the direction that needs to be taken. The rest is just speculation.

Let her get through the holiday season without having to hear anything about the truck (remember how hard this will be for her) and then connect with her after the new year. Once you hear the families wishes we can formulate a plan.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I will let Brian chime in but from what I gathered going to their home, they don't care what we do. They appreciate anything. There is no chance of them paying anyone anytime soon to work on it so they are grateful for us doing anything.

I say get it stock. There is no chance of them going hardcore wheeling for years. Might as well make it run and drive well for around town use.
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:22 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Agreed, they don't really care as this really isn't a priority for them. They are just happy we are helping and want us to provide the direction.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I say get the truck to stock at the very least. Worth more that way anyway plus easier to assemble back that way. Wheres the truck located, I can donate some time to help.

Robert Deniro
Old December 13th, 2011, 04:43 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Lets let the dust settle on the holidays but I think if we can get a couple stock axles donated and arrange a work weekend we could bang this out. In the meantime Im sure his wife is just focused on getting her kids thru a very difficult holiday. Do you guys know the ages of his kids? Maybe we can send a long a few gifts.
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

They are all fairly young. The oldest may be 13 or 14. I believe his son is 12 right now.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:06 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Im happy to chip in to buy some gift certificates if you want to pass them along to the family...
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:08 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
thats breaks your heart...
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I would avoid sending gift items unless its directly for the D90. They could use the cash instead of more stuff/clutter I'm sure.

Robert Deniro
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:23 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
So you would send gift items for a truck but not for the kids? Im sure a toy R us gift certificates that mom could use to buy them some toys would be appreciated.
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Because the mom could buy her kids the toys with the money instead of some strangers off the D90 board. Wouldn't you think money is more important than toys right now to her?

Robert Deniro
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:30 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Because the mom could buy her kids the toys with the money instead of some strangers off the D90 board. Wouldn't you think money is more important than toys right now to her?
Im not disagreeing with you on that front. I just went thru this when my brother in law died and left a wife behind with 5 kids. Yes moms first priority is going to be food, clothing, shelter and I think we raised a lot of money to help with that but at the same time its Christmas and Im sure a couple extra presents under the tree for the little ones would bring smiles to their faces.
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I used to hate getting gift cards but you know they are actually nice. Often times when I get cash I use it to pay bills and forget who gave me the gift. When you get a card you actually will buy a present for yourself or someone. We have raised a lot of cash for the family and it is beyond appreciated. It is Christmas time and I know a few toys or gift cards would be appreciated. It is a house with four kids, of course there will always be clutter.

Brian and I talked and we both agree that after meeting the family, we will make the choices for getting the truck going. That choice is to bring it back to stock so it can be driven with ease. We will help them clean up and organize all the extra stuff. The parts are heavy and no one is going to want to deal with selling them and shipping etc.

Jeff,

Touch base with me when you can, after the new year I have time and can help get it together even during the week.

The point is with the way money is and how the truck was left, if we don't do this it will just rot in the garage forever or until Brad's son is old enough to take it on.
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:39 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Barry let me know if you are willing to buy the gift card Ill paypal you some money.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat