What happened to Nola... - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 10th, 2011, 07:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah I just don't know enough to know how to make it a roller. Chris snell offered to help while out here and I know he know how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
If some of the West Coast guys that part trucks, could lend you ( or donate / sell us cheap ) slap 2 axles, from some disco and place all this parts inside NoLA.

Of as J said, work it just to slap the current axles together to make it a roller

HOWEVER, short of doing the trailer thing, a carrier transporting a truck with no brakes working will cost extra
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:54 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

if didnt live on the other side of the country i would certainly help out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
If some of the West Coast guys that part trucks, could lend you ( or donate / sell us cheap ) slap 2 axles, from some disco and place all this parts inside NoLA.

Of as J said, work it just to slap the current axles together to make it a roller

HOWEVER, short of doing the trailer thing, a carrier transporting a truck with no brakes working will cost extra
Agree - grab a pair of Disco axles to get it going and throw all the parts inside. It sounds like he grenaded both front and rear and looking at the empty diff housing would be a little too much to get it it rolling trying to fix what is there.

After doing the rear Toy converision in my truck, the back axle is not tough to put in and I cannot imagine the front being much more difficult (at least to get it to roll around). Looking at the pics he has the brake calipers still hooked up so that shouldn't be too hard to get something that works. Probably a day total with a couple people on it.

Barry - did you see any Toyota pieces? If he does have it, I think it would be cool to do that conversion. Especially pairing up with the Bilsteins. But if not, just going stock Rover stuff including the alloy wheels would probably be smartest/easiest. Definately drop that Trutrac - sounds like it gave him fits.
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Shipping it like that is a non-starter for sure. Getting it rolling is pretty easy, though, as long as the parts are all there. Are the axles still there in the garage somewhere? Even if all the axles are missing, sourcing new ones is simple because you can use old Classic or D1 axle tubes.

I wasn't very experienced with D90 wrenching when I first rebuilt my axles. I followed the manual and took it step by step. Buy lots of brake parts cleaner (I used at least 8 cans) and shop towels and do clean work.

It also helped me to have the PDF manuals for a D1 and Classic around, because sometimes the explanation or drawing for something wouldn't make sense and looking at another version of the same thing helped me understand.

Basically, you're going to put the axles on jack stands underneath the truck and start bolting up the suspension and linkage. Don't let this psych you out, it's really simple. Once that's all together, you can build up the hubs and swivel balls themselves with fresh bearings, Mobil 1 grease and new gaskets. Next, bleed the brakes or better yet, flush them and put in fresh brake fluid. If you can borrow a pressure bleeder, it makes this step very, very easy. Once that's done, just raise up the truck by the axles and put the wheels and reconnect the driveshafts and you're pretty much done.

Let me know if you decide to organize a work day. We don't need to ship it to ECR. I'm confident that four of us could get it rolling on fresh axles and clean the interior and exterior in a day, easily.

Re: Toyota conversion. My opinion would be to get it as close to stock as possible. Easier for the family to maintain in the future.
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:46 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Just reading the last few posts. I agree that putting the truck back to stock is the best thing for the family and the value of the truck.

Why don't you see if the family will let you sell off the big wheels and stuff and use that money to fix the stock axles?
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:42 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Here is the thing about the truck, no one knows what we have or don't have. The axle housings are in one of the pictures. The OME suspension that was on the truck is there as well. I have no idea what parts for the axles are laying around. Being that a trail failure is what caused this conversion to get underway in the first place, I am going to say the axles are screwed up. I 100% agree this truck should be brought back to stock. Now the truck hasn't moved in a long time and I have no idea if Brad was running the 300 tdi or not so it might need a timing belt, etc.

As for selling stuff, the problem with that is I don't live by the family so for me to get involved with trying to sell it, I see it being a major pain. Plus, I don't really want to get into the "whole well I am selling some of your stuff to get it together."

A family friend is willing to help us with labor, and figuring out what is there but I need someone who really needs rovers to get it together.

I still think if we can get it rolling and get it to ECR that would be great. It would be nice if they could go over it and make sure it runs correctly that would be great.

This isn't a priority for the family but I know that we as a group feel for them and for the truck and want to make sure it gets the care it deserves. Plus it would be nice to get this sorted so they can enjoy it and remember the good times they had with Brad in it.
Old December 11th, 2011, 10:12 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Too bad it's hours away... having just pulled and re-installed the axles on my Tdi right before the Alaska trip.

It really is not hard.... it's pretty obvious where all the big bits go, and if you have a manual to go by it's pretty easy.
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah this is nowhere near as bad as it looks. I wish I was closer and could help, but if I were, here is what I would do

1. Gather up all the parts and access what you have. If necessary take pictures and crowd source this.
2. Buy anything needed to rebuild the axles stock, or just get the axles out of a disco, whichever is easier/cheaper (ir a combo of keeping his housings and put stock disco thirds/axles in). But getting the axles back together is not hard and you could even take them and bring them back when done if that's easier or you feel you need help with this part.
3. put the axles and suspension back in. You could do all the bushings too and it would essentially be done. Not that hard if you have a hand. I did the entire suspension and bushings on my truck in a week of evenings and one full day on the weekend, solo.
4. With the truck running and working, evaluate it's condition/needs and at that point consider a trip to ECR to have them go over it.
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:10 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I think the next move it to go back with someone who can assess the parts and what is needed. Brads friend is willing to pull everything out and take pics. Might have him do that.
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Not as bad as it seems, here is what I would suggest

See if you can find a local rover breaker that would be willing to donate the following parts or at least sell them at a reduced cost and get a few local people that know how to work on rovers to work on it for a day. I am 100% certain that with 2 or 3 people you could get it rolling (probably driving) and ready for transport to ECR with the following parts in a day or less.

1. Front axle assembly from a Disco or RRC complete with radius arms, try to get the nuts and bushings that hold the radius arms to the frame and nuts / bolts for the steering bits. Reuse Nola’s brakes since they are still in place if possible as they are specific to the 90.

2. Rear axle assembly complete with trailing arms, bushings and nuts. Also get the a-frame if possible as I do not see it in the pictures. Reuse Nola’s brakes

3. Not sure his big tires will work with the transport, maybe get a set of cheap worn out rollers unless he has some already.

Install the front and rear drive shaft if you have them and they are ok, if not install at least one and lock the CDL. Also make sure that the e-brake is working

It will be heavy work but if you can get the entire assemblies as mentioned above there are only a handful of bolts that hold them in place most of the hard work will be moving the parts around.
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

There is a diff sitting right behind that spring in that pic

------ Follow up post added December 11th, 2011 08:48 AM ------

Also the original km1s are on the stock wheels under the truck. Look like 255s
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Glad to hear they have some stock wheels so you really only need a couple of disco / rrc axles, I paid $300 for a complete set of front and rear RRC axles with everything including raduis arms and trailing arms. It was a good deal but I would think that someone could hook you up given the situation with a set for around that or less.

As Jeff said you can put it together with empty housings and make it roll but I would suggest getting it back to a stock rover config so if it needs work in the future they can have it done at a normal shop.

If you guys need anything to get it rolling I see what I have laying around from my build and donate it to the cause. I am sure with everyone on the board we can come up with almost everything needed to get it rolling for cheap / free.

Will Tillery might be someone to check with as well, he is a great guy and might be willing to help out by shipping a few axles forward air from the east coast???
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:29 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I'm pretty sure I saw the radius and trailing arms there. My guess is that he had everything to put it back together if he got this far but that's just a guess. We'll need to have his family friend clear the garage out and get pics of everything he finds. This is going to take some time though.

I actually think the original wheels might be gone and the truck is sitting on the old tires. We'll have to see if the extra wheels are somewhere in the garage.

In terms of timeline, there is none. This definitely isn't a priority for the family. I think we just need to take the time to assess the parts and go from there. It would be great to have this done sooner than later but since Brad's place isn't close to either of us, we're sort of relying on the family friend at this moment.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Original wheels and tires are under the truck. He never mounted the new ones and what I saw matched his spare
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Ah, ok. Well that's good. I think you got a better look than I did.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
It doesnt look too bad at all. Id be up for flying down and putting it back together if there isn't anyone down there to do it. It looks like he was in the middle of a suspension upgrade in addition to rebuilding his front axle. Was everything there? Housings, radius arms/trailing arms? It looks like the brake pipes are still sealed. Was he running stock axle shafts?

Im guessing if we needed to borrow some parts, John Gadd, Dave (BUCK) or WCR might have stuff laying arround.

-Jeff

Edit: it it was his front axle that went out, Im guessing the rear is fine, we can leave the front axle and diff out, reassemble everything else and put it in diff lock (rear wheel drive) to get it drivable, at least enough to ship.

I talked to Jeff today. We both agreed that the best course of action would be to rebuild the truck to a stock configuration and leave all the toyota stuff, huge lift, tires, at the house so that if the family ever wants to build a huge truck they will have the parts to do so. Jeff is trying to locate some stock disco axles so we can assemble the truck so that it can move under its own power. Once we do that we will talk to Mike and see about getting it shipped to ECR.
Old December 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Putting a couple complete DI/RRC axles under there should be really easy.
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:15 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Sorry I couldnt join you guys on Saturday. Ive been under the weather all weekend and just getting caught up on the posts. Certainly sounds like a work weekend with some stock axles is the way to go. One question I had is whether or not once its a roller will it still fit in the garage? Wouldnt make much sense if we get it all together and then they dont have a place to keep it.
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It will fit. It has a sd rack but the basket is off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat