What fuel type is everyone runnin in their NAS 97's - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 6th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Frankie Carbone
Heath Hollenbeck
'97 D90 #535, '03 DiscoII

What fuel type is everyone runnin in their NAS 97's

Do you need to put in the 91 octane or is the 89 ethanol ok?
What is everyone running personally in their vehicles?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I usually use premium in mine, but sometimes I put 87 in, but augment it with some Lucas fuel treatment.

Old August 6th, 2007, 04:40 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Premium (91/92 octane).

There may be mounds of incontrovertible evidence out there suggesting that lower octane is just fine, and it may well be - but I don't care.

It just makes me feel better to run the higher grade..... (Oh, and page 42 of the '97 Owners Manual says to run premium unleaded fuel, too....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Frankie Carbone
Heath Hollenbeck

Yeah wasn't sure if the ethanol fuel at 89 octane was even out in the mainstream when they printed the manual and curious how it ran in the engine. Was thinking of using it and throwing in some fule treatment here and there....but just wasn't sure.
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I used to run the cheap stuff, I recently switched to 89 and it does run better. As for ethanol, 10% ethanol should not have a really deliterious effect but keep in mind that ethanol has less caloric value than gasoline and will degrade performance and fuel economy slightly.

Ethanol is an effective oxygenate for fuel and is far better than drinking MTBE from polluted groundwater. In many places (cities) you are probably using 10% ethanol and don't know it.
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:04 PM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

i run 87 and have 130K miles on my engine. it does knock, especially when cold.
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

mid-grade
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

I used to use regular and the check engine light would come on all the time for the code "engine misfire" I switched to premium and the light has stayed off since...
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:19 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

B-20 biodiesel - oh wait mine isn't an NAS 97... never mind

I never ran less than 89 octane in my RRC and even that required a timing adjustment (you could do that with a 3.9 since it had a distributor) - I think with the 4.0 you're pretty much stuck with premium. At least the premium USUALLY has more of the additives in it that prevent carbon build up on the valves. Knock is not good - especially as prone to head gasket problems as the 4.0 seems to be....
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:22 PM
UpnOver
David Williams
'97 Yellow ST

I stick with 91, used to be 93 then they change premium down to 91. The owners manual say 90 or better.
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Compression ratio is listed to be 9.35:1 on the engine, which is a bit high for using 87 or 89 octane. You're going to get knocking from time to time under heavy load, which is never good for an engine. But I can understand wanting to use lower octanes, especially around here where it may mean spending 30 cents more per gallon right now.

The only reason I can get away with the lower octanes on my own 3.9 is that I did a head gasket job a couple years ago, and used the composite gaskets to replace the metal ones, which lowered the compression ratio for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Monkeyboy

E10 = mostly labelled as 89 octane here in Iowa where it's freshest

Seems to behave itself. It rarely changes altitude much though ... between here, Chicago, Wichita ... its pretty darned flat.

I run the same stuff in the '94 Disco at all kinds of altitudes and loads. It's been fine for the past thirteen years.

KAA
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Frankie Carbone
Heath Hollenbeck

Well I am in Nebraska and have some of the fresh E-10 as well I just didn't know if anyone else was trying the ethanol at 89 octane and had any issues. Sounds like Keith is already doing what I was wanting to try and get away with...especially since E-10 is the cheapest in the corn states.

Thanks for all your replies.
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Compression ratio is listed to be 9.35:1 on the engine, which is a bit high for using 87 or 89 octane. You're going to get knocking from time to time under heavy load, which is never good for an engine.
I am learning something new today! Any good reference you would recommend to read about engine compression ratio and octane indice? I did not know there was a relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
But I can understand wanting to use lower octanes, especially around here where it may mean spending 30 cents more per gallon right now.
Crazy..... A few years ago, there was "only" 20 cents difference per gallon. I guess we better get used to it.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW
B-20 biodiesel - oh wait mine isn't an NAS 97... never mind
LOL! Lucky you though....

Quote:
I think with the 4.0 you're pretty much stuck with premium. At least the premium USUALLY has more of the additives in it that prevent carbon build up on the valves. Knock is not good - especially as prone to head gasket problems as the 4.0 seems to be....
I am running regular in my '96 Disco 4.0 (and my '95 D90 3.9). Reading this thread, looks like I'll have to do more digging. No knocking at this time, but then....

Quote:
as prone to head gasket problems as the 4.0 seems to be....
Running the risk of being flamed here, I would claim "urban legend" (of course some people will have blown one). There are other threads (here and on DiscoWeb) where I read that someone (yeah I know "friend of the friend") said that Land Rover dealership (he used to/is work(ing) at one) are likely to claim "head gasket failure" when the valley gasket leaks/fails (symptoms are quite different though....). I agree with the dealerships: once you remove the plenum, it's not much more to replace the head gaskets, but the cost is "slightly" different to the truck owner (I assume a few hundreds might not be that bad for some?). Anyway, not the right thread (and I should have done searches to bring up links to those specific messages). Touching wood, crossing fingers that I will not blow one on my truck....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:49 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

In 97s run only premium or face the sticky valves. In 94/95 adjust the timing and it will run on swill, but I would recommend only 91 and up.

95 LWB gets 93 most of the time, with 10% ethanol (all gas has it here--crap!)
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I forgot: put some ATF in your gas tank (and oil) once a while.
This is a trick I learnt a few weeks ago. ATF contains detergent that will cleanup a lot of gunk/stuff (and is cheaper that all the additive you can buy).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Actually, it's not the 4.0's that had the head gasket problems, it was the 3.9's with the 14 bolt heads and steel gaskets. They ALL leak to one degree or another when the miles start to climb, the question is where/what is leaking and how bad it is. The 4.0 corrected it all with removing the 4 lower head bolts and swapping to the composite style gasket.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:15 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I got over 195,000 miles on my 3.9 in my Range Rover before suffering head gasket failure and that was due to one of those stupid plastic radiator plugs failing (and I knew better). If that plug hadn't done a Marie Antoinette it would probably still be on the original gaskets. I haven't seen a 4.0 go past 120,000 without needing head gaskets. I think they will ALL leak - keep the radiator clean and replace those stupid plastic plugs with brass ones for best results.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
97, fuel, nas