Old December 24th, 2011, 10:10 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by globallandrovers View Post
Neil, I know a chap in rancho santa fe, who may sell his LHD CA title TD5 manual, it has a CA issued Chassis number and is a 2001 truck I believe, it Epsom Green, I will try and find his details.
Merry XMas!
That's San Diego.... and I would be very interested to hear his story on how he passed the referee process to get a CA DMV VIN assignment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

There was one for sale on eBay with the exact same story. Roverdude worke on it for the new owner. There are a bunch of trucks in ca that are titled as what they are. I met one guy with a 2006 he bought off a used car lot. It has a California registration with no issue.
Old December 24th, 2011, 11:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
There was one for sale on eBay with the exact same story. Roverdude worke on it for the new owner.
Yep, that's the one I figured Julian was talking about. It didn't go for crazy money, either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Wasn't exactly nice though.
Old December 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I wish you guys could of seen the truck I first saw. It was literally perfect. Not one scartch or mark on its Santorelli black paint (parked in an underground garage). Had 12k miles, no 3rd row seats in the back, adjustable headlights (could raise up and down from a switch on the dash) puma seats, black on black everything, power doors locks and front windows. Experience edition badges. And that sweet clickity clank sound of its puma tdi. It was literally like a dream to have saw this thing. This is what I wanted, and sort of what I compare everything I see to. Thanks for the comments everyone. And Merry Christmas.

Robert Deniro
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:46 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Do yourself a huge favor. If you want a "new" 110, Puma or whatever, go buy a beat-down NAS 110 and pay the proper money to have ECR restore it stateside. Yes, you'll be in for six figures entry-level, but you're going to be in for at least $60-$75,000USD for one of these pimped-out BLR "restorations" and if you think that you're slick because you saved yourself $25k, think again. Trust me, you'll be using that $25,000 to pay ECR or whomever to fix BLR's shit work anyway.

Let's not even talk about the potential legal and customs pitfalls with BLR's truck.

I'm not plugging ECR specifically. They are awesome for sure, but if you can't spend the coin on ECR, there are other shops stateside that do nice work as well.

There are enough threads on this and other boards talking about the risks and legality of importing Tdci trucks etc. That's not my point here. My point is that anyone considering spending that kind of money for a truck that is purported to be "restored" should definately think twice if the restorer is UK-based. You need to go look at their shop and physically see their work. Any "savings" that you think you're realizing will quickly evaporate when you start actually doing the math.

I'm not saying that nobody should buy a 110 from the UK, just beware of the "restored" ones and don't be victimized. There are many ways to get what you want (new-spec 110), but they all end up costing relatively the same money. I don't know of any shortcuts.

If it were easy to go in and write a $60,000, $70,000 or whatever check for a 2011 Defender 110, then it wouldn't bee as cool to have one now would it? You're going to have to spend more money to get what you want and BLR is NOT the place to start.
I really agree with this. I went through this entire issue when I was seeking out my Defender. I wanted a perfectly clean one and, like you, would also lust over the new ROW Defender 110s. After spending about a week in the subject and talking to LOTS of bozos in the business promising a fail safe sollution to get me one from the UK dissambeled and resembled here with some VIN registration process as a 25 year or older, I just got turned off. Everything felt sketchy. I may have paid more going with a restored NAS 1993 110 but honestly I know I would have been disappointed in the end any other way. A NAS 110 with the TD5 dash is actually a wonderful blend of the old and the new. The newest dash gets rid of the manual vents....lame! I say spend some money with a good US based restorer and make the perfect NAS 110 for you.
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:00 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I'd give this one a shot

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=34796

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:38 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
A NAS 110 with the TD5 dash is actually a wonderful blend of the old and the new. The newest dash gets rid of the manual vents....lame! I say spend some money with a good US based restorer and make the perfect NAS 110 for you.
NAS 110 doesn't have manual vents to start with.

I will agree with the caution with imported trucks. I feel like I need to hire a therapist to talk down customers who bring rigs into my shop that are nothing but a really sad story.

customer; It's a 110 Tdi! ........
therapist; yes it is, but the motor is a clapped out Discovery 200tdi with some cobbled together exhaust that is burning the copious amounts of waxoyl off your frame and needs to have the motor mounts cut off to remove it (was welded in place with the mounts on it) to replace the leaking rear main seal.

customer; they said it gets 35mpg!
therapist; if you average in the amount of miles it has been towed it probably did get 35mpg.

customer;it has had the frame repaired!
Therapist; it does have a new rear crossmember, which if you could buy a new frame without one would save a pile of money (I'm trying to be positive here ok)

Customer; I know it has all new body parts and a Tdci motor but it really is a 1972 109 on a new galvy chassis;
therapist; Im sure it is .....however we are not interested in having illegal contraband ..........ooooops I meant 100k 1972 109's in our facility due to insurance limitations. (insurance companies spend tons of money getting out of paying.......and I've been warned)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 27th, 2011, 07:50 AM
T1G UP
marcus
Puma 110 xs. Td5 110 xs for sale

i'd want to oversee the restoration TBH

There badly put together from new...trust me!

i follow ECR on facebook and they do some stirling work.

Mines selling as parts so a good chance of seeing what your buying and having it put together how you want it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags