Old January 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
The truck stop I get my CB stuff from only sells the cut to tune ones. Haven't seen any screw tip ones anywhere around here.
Buying something retail? Interesting idea. I did not think that was done any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2012, 05:18 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The current Cobra 29s are still very modifiable and a good choice if you like to go that way.

They recently came out with the 29LX, https://www.cobra.com/detail/29-lx-lcd-cb-radio.cfm which has a pretty cool modern faceplate but still the same internals as the other 29s.
That does look good.... with the big meter display, you don't have to squint to adjust your SRW's!
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:44 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Buying something retail? Interesting idea. I did not think that was done any more.

John, you need to put down the mouse/keyboard occasionally and get out more. Go outside, stretch your legs, do a little shopping now and again... Do you the world of good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Ironically, just found out the CB shop at the old AllAmerican truckstop (is now a Pilot) in Frystown, Pa. has stopped doing business there because of the merger!
That Fnnn sucks... that was my go to guy!
Old January 14th, 2012, 03:04 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Cobra 18WXSTII mounted in a Tuffy Overhead console. 4' K40 stick antenna mounted on a bracket at the back.
Ian
darn completely forgot about the k40, have not used them in a while but even untuned they are great.
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Here is my antenna mounted. This is a 4 foot firestik. I have a quick disconnect and the flexible spring - so that gives me about another 6inches of height. I wager a 3 foot stick would fit nicer and not stick up as much.

The CB picks up the weather stations a lot better.

I have not tuned the antenna with an SWR meter, yet. That will take place in the next few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna bracket 1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	46179  
Sterling, VA
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I finally got my new CB. I am trying to find a good location to mount the controller box for the Cobra 75 model. I'm thinking just inside the battery compartment with the quick connector mounted to the face of the seat box. Any other suggestions regarding what others have done? It's a small box so it should go most anywhere.

Thanks
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1179077059.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	49962  
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
How about the antenna? If I put it lower it is about 3" above the top of truck. If its at the top of the tire carrier it sticks up about 27". I would imagine that the higher it is the better the signal would be. And of course the higher it is the more it will catch on limbs and bounce against the truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1256614073.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	49967   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2217656926.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	49968  

Old April 5th, 2012, 11:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I've been trying to figure out the same thing for my Firestik antenna. I barely just clear my garage door as it is, so it'll be removed/installed quite frequently during the "wheeling season" if I go with a location that results in the top of it being more than a few inches above the C-pillar. I've contemplated the license plate light mount, having something welded to the tire carrier, etc. I'm not sure of the signal strength it gets in the back vs. near the bulkhead either, but I've heard it's better if mounted near the bulkhead. I'm no expert, that's just what the guy I had bought mine from had said when I had told him where I was thinking of mounting it.
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I finally got my new CB. I am trying to find a good location to mount the controller box for the Cobra 75 model. I'm thinking just inside the battery compartment with the quick connector mounted to the face of the seat box. Any other suggestions regarding what others have done? It's a small box so it should go most anywhere.

Thanks
Jeff
I'm literally in the process of mounting mine, I put the controller box under the cubby actually...there was just enough room and the pigtail sticks out so I can plug in the Cobra 75. Seems like it'll work, pics below.

I also have a little bracket for the antenna in the back that goes behind the top hinge, should give a nice range sitting up there I'm hoping. Planning to just put a tennis ball on the firestik to keep it from banging against the truck, but if it's not sitting up high enough you'll have shoddy reception.

PS - Jeff I assume you, like me, are trying to get this all done by Uwharrie ? The only snag is I had a brand-new in the packaging 3' NGP Firestik kit that went MIA from my garage...so bizarre. So had to 2nd day air one from CA, sucks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1328.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	49969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	49970  

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	49971  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 5th, 2012, 12:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
People on here have talked highly of the Cobra 75WXST. Also there is the Midland 75-822 radio that seems pretty slick because you can put a battery box on it and take it anywhere.
I have a Midland 75-822. It's a little cheaper feeling than the Cobra 75 (a slightly different kind of plastic) but the advantage is that the entire CB is built into the handset, vice the Cobra which requires a separate box.

Quote:
The next part is the antenna.
I use a 3' white K40. Reception is ok, I guess. Works at the distances that I need it to. Generally it's accepted that longer antennas are better, since quarter wavelength at CB freqs is ridonculously long. I would love a 20' long whip, but it would get ripped off by a tree in a hurry.

Quote:
And then there is the cable.
At these frequencies and low power, IMHO the cable is pretty much moot. I bought mine at radio shack.

Quote:
What advantage does a CB have over some of the "long range" hand held two way radios?
I'm assuming you mean FRS.

Advantages:
More channels, more legal power, more real range

Disadvantages:
Lower operating frequency means longer quarter-wave antennas, some more natural interference due to modulation scheme.

But both CB and FRS are kid-stuff compared to licensed VHF.
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:03 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I have a Midland 75-822. It's a little cheaper feeling than the Cobra 75 (a slightly different kind of plastic) but the advantage is that the entire CB is built into the handset, vice the Cobra which requires a separate box.

At these frequencies and low power, IMHO the cable is pretty much moot. I bought mine at radio shack.
The Cobra 75 also has everything built-in...there's just that separate box for power & antenna connection (I assume yours has something similar?).

I think the cable matters if you go with an NGP (No Ground Plane) setup, which I did.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind
PS - Jeff I assume you, like me, are trying to get this all done by Uwharrie ? The only snag is I had a brand-new in the packaging 3' NGP Firestik kit that went MIA from my garage...so bizarre. So had to 2nd day air one from CA, sucks.
That's the goal. Since my 100" didn't build itself in the last couple of months now I need to do a few service items to the 110 to get ready as well as this new addition.

Bummer about your MIA kit. So are you going to URE also?
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:37 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
The Cobra 75 also has everything built-in...there's just that separate box for power & antenna connection (I assume yours has something similar?).
Hey Jason, yep, the midland builds the power and antenna connection into the handset itself, so the handset has two cables going into it - antenna and power. No separate box needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I think the cable matters if you go with an NGP (No Ground Plane) setup, which I did.
I definitely haven't played with the NGP setup, although my gut makes me feel that the frequency is so low that the quality of cable is pretty hard to mess up at CB freqs
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:17 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
That's the goal. Since my 100" didn't build itself in the last couple of months now I need to do a few service items to the 110 to get ready as well as this new addition.

Bummer about your MIA kit. So are you going to URE also?
Aiming for it...right now 75-25 (going to not-going), *should* be able to wrap things up in time. Also, my local buddy that was going to go is on the fence...so I may not want to make the trip solo, but possibly would. Seems like there is a good crew of folks I'd like to meet up with there, such as yourself/Doc Aaron/etc. Will keep you posted.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 5th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I know Scott Wold was trying to make it, not sure what his status is currently. It would be nice to meet up
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Thanks
Jeff
I have the same radio and thats what I did.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 5th, 2012, 08:18 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I run a Cobra 29WXNWST Nightwatch and a firestick its a great combo
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old April 5th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Alright thanks Doug, I think that's what I'll do then.
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:19 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Figure I'd throw my $.02 in here and let you know what i have found that works well in every occasion. As for CB's, I used to run a Galaxy DX959 radio but space became an issue so I'm now using a tuned Uniden Pro 520XL which works great and fits just inside the tuffy box beneath the radio.

Now where to mount the antenna? Of course, higher is always better and a good ground plane is critical. Higher means less clearance and lower means less performance. So here's my solution to that:

I installed 2 mounts:

>the lower one provides good clearance as I use a 3' Firestik II and a stud mount drilled into the rear tire carrier. This allows the top of the antenna to just break the roof line of the rover. It is good for everyday use so I don't hear the 'ga-bang' when pulling in/out of the garage and when wheelin and fellow wheelers' are nearby .

>the upper mount uses a Firestik dome/roof mount. This is a good mount as aluminum roofs don't make a good ground plane so this type of mount will work well assuming it's installed correctly. So when you're on the open road or stuck and need to reach out and get help, you simply unscrew the antenna from the lower mount and install on the upper.

This installation is clean and requires very little alteration of your truck.

Pics below...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5229.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	49998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5230.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	49999