Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 18th, 2015, 09:13 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
So do the H4 100/80w H4 bulbs i have. Probably make the A bar and Hella driving lights I have sitting in the parts bin superfluous.
... and they're focused by the reflector properly. I can't believe how many HID's I saw in halogen housings at winter romp. Hard to keep my mouth shut on that point. It's just such an obnoxious and dangerous thing to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2015, 09:13 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

No such thing as superfluous lighting..
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:14 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

There's a reason the only approved color temp for HID's is 4200k. When new anyway. Obviously they get cooler as they age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2015, 09:15 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
... and they're focused by the reflector properly. I can't believe how many HID's I saw in halogen housings at winter romp. Hard to keep my mouth shut on that point. It's just such an obnoxious and dangerous thing to do.
Yeah, a buddy of mine has a really nice h1 hummer and has those regular led drivng lights in his truck..no cutoff beam pattern at all... I lost count of how many times I have told him he is an inconsiderate a-hole....... Unfortunately we no longer have testing for anything..let alone lights..

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2015 09:19 AM ------

When I get oncoming vehicle with incorrectly adjusted lights or high beams on and I'm driving the camel, I let em have over 600 watts of high beam....
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:34 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Yep, definitely not looking for those bright as shit lights that blind the F**K out of people driving down the road. I just need something better than the stock old ass shitty lights I have. Really I want simple.....unplug my lights and plug in a new better set.
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

The Hella E-codes are plug & play…. they are just better with a new harness especially if you want to use overpowered bulbs.
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:45 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
Yep, definitely not looking for those bright as shit lights that blind the F**K out of people driving down the road. I just need something better than the stock old ass shitty lights I have. Really I want simple.....unplug my lights and plug in a new better set.
Trucklite LED... I've seen others say they use those, I plan to go that route too, if I ever get mine on the road for more than 10 minutes
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:10 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
When I get oncoming vehicle with incorrectly adjusted lights or high beams on and I'm driving the camel, I let em have over 600 watts of high beam....
lol I would never do anything like that ...
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Especially those LED bars that spray dazzle in every direction!!!!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
To be serious.... there are a thousand options for 7" headlights. My take on what I've seen that make any financial sense.

Hella e-codes are the lowest cost, good quality light. Around $80 for a pair of housings and then whatever bulb you want.

IMO, the next best on the price curve is the Truck-Lite 9007 housings. Light is as good as any other 7" light, but they are waterproof and use the much longer lasting 9007 bulb. These are around $120 for a pair with bulbs.

Both of the above should have relays installed.

The next choice would be the Truck-Lite 7" LED which is around $350 for a pair and does not need relays.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:29 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Right. When you're hauling a fully loaded truck and trailer along a hilly, blind curved, deer and critter laden, unfamiliar narrow and beat up two lane in the dark...that is not what you want coming towards you! I flash em and hope they get it.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:44 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Right. When you're hauling a fully loaded truck and trailer along a hilly, blind curved, deer and critter laden, unfamiliar narrow and beat up two lane in the dark...that is not what you want coming towards you! I flash em and hope they get it.
You can flash your high beams, shoot them the 'bird' and scream as they pass but it's a moot point. They don't get it or even care. They invested in something perceived to be a good upgrade. As time goes by, I see more fucking posers that have a pocketful of money but couldn't change the spark plug in a push mower. I'm big into 'no bling' as my old license plate read. I don't need lighting that will set the grass on fire or so poorly designed or installed as to blind oncoming traffic. Trucks that are lifted without headlight alignment are just as bad. That said, why dump all the money into high end lighting when a $100 bill will get the job done. Most important, as mentioned before, is to use relays to feed the bulbs true 12V. That alone will make a remarkable difference plus save wear on the dash switches and fuse panel.
Old February 18th, 2015, 01:08 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

"...thank you much..preciate that"..lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, lights