Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 28th, 2017, 08:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
what are 97 NAS spec 90's from outside the US worth ?

Working with two different fellows right now on bringing in trucks that were sold into Japan and the UAE back in the day. One is still in Dubai the other is in Azerbaijan. They are both pushing me asking what the trucks are worth here, I think they both intend to sell them. The one in Dubai has always been garage kept and looks to be conniston. The other one in Azerbaijan is arles. Both are SW's with low mileage's ie below 70k.
Since they are built to the same spec are they valued the same as a 97 NAS sold here ? The truck in Dubai has a number on the rear plaque that was <250.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2017, 09:52 PM
ron
Ron
1995 110 Beach Runner

nope
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:51 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
nope
... To someone on this (these) forums. But for the rest of the market I don't think they care. So yes about the same.
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2017, 11:54 PM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
i'm gonna guess they're worth as much as another similar condition ROW D90... which prices are holding, though not as much as NAS. Still prob net profit for the seller.

Old March 1st, 2017, 01:47 AM
terreneuve
John
1997 D90

It depends on the buyer, I had no problem getting market value for my 1997 NAS JAP Spec truck. The buyer was so impressed with the lack of any corrosion and the fact it had electric windows! Truck had all Japanese service records(Shaken) and the built sheet was still dry and untouched behind the rear door trim panel.
Old March 1st, 2017, 01:59 AM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
The dealer where I bought my LR4 called me with a Japanese spec truck. Wanted 65. I offered 30 and was laughed at, in a good natured way. I think a lot of these go private sale, and we never see them. They may not fetch NAS money, but the get real close.

It is only the dorks like us that know there is any difference, anyway.

Edit: kicking myself for not getting the NAS that was in London a year or so ago...it went cheap.
Old March 1st, 2017, 05:42 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

To reiterate what John said:

I travel Vermont daily, doing about 30,000 miles a year within the state. Imagine my surprise when I saw three NAS90s at a very small used car/U-Haul rental lot in the northern part of the state... stopped in and immediately thought: huh... something's different. This was my first personal sighting of "UAE" Defenders - apparently brought in through a broker in Canada. All were about a B+ - there was some corrosion around areas you'd expect. I wouldn't call them "rusty," but I know what a totally rust-free Defender looks like (I had one at the time) and each had apologies of one kind or another.

At any rate, they were asking in the $60ks. Within a couple of weeks, all three were listed on Ebay and sold under the "Buy it Now" function. I'd suggest that these three "comps" show that these particular models are just as valuable as original US import NAS90s, at least among the "first time buyer" crowd.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 01:21 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Yeah some people don't know what they're buying and a lot of dealers try to hide the fact that they are imports. I'd put their value higher than the average imported truck but lower than a true NAS because grey market is still grey market and I imagine you'd run into the same issues with things like insurance and registration.

This is how I put them.
1. NAS
2. Special RoW (Japan NAS, SA 2.8i, 50th, 90SV, etc)
3. RoW
Old March 2nd, 2017, 01:29 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Yeah some people don't know what they're buying and a lot of dealers try to hide the fact that they are imports. I'd put their value higher than the average imported truck but lower than a true NAS because grey market is still grey market and I imagine you'd run into the same issues with things like insurance and registration.
False. There is no issue with insurance or reg. It is treated as a NAS 97 not an import. Remember only some of these are importable. All depends on the VIN.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 01:39 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

That's interesting the VIN would be recognized. I know the VIN range for importability. They're still grey market regardless.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 01:49 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

These trucks have EPA stickers and all the regular NAS stuff so registration is easy. I have never heard of a person having an issue.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:05 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
correct me if I'm wrong but i thought the biggest issue with assigning value to these trucks was the mileage verification since most had speedo swaps when they arrived.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:13 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
I imagine you'd run into the same issues with things like insurance and registration.
This is more of a scare tactic then an issue. Finding insurance for an imported truck is very easy (call SafeCo or Haggerty, done.). Registering an imported truck is very easy (except for California, but that is a diesel issue, not an import issue). In NY it was no different then registering any other vehicle.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
This is more of a scare tactic then an issue. Finding insurance for an imported truck is very easy (call SafeCo or Haggerty, done.). Registering an imported truck is very easy (except for California, but that is a diesel issue, not an import issue). In NY it was no different then registering any other vehicle.

Actually it's not just a diesel issue in CA. Gas engines are even harder.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:17 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Actually it's not just a diesel issue in CA. Gas engines are even harder.
Sorry I stand corrected. California is wack. (when it comes to imports)
Old March 2nd, 2017, 03:41 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I don't think caring about clean air is wack.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 07:29 PM
outpost
Andy
97 D90

There is no issue with registration or insurance on these vehicles. A D90 NAS is a D90 NAS whether it was exported to Yokohama or Baltimore; US emissions (50 state) and safety standards compliant, V8/automatic). The Japan destined vehicles were regional market specific (as the US destined vehicles were). Metric speedometer, side indicator repeaters, RHD lenses on the headlight, clear lenses on the front park lights. They also had regional specific cosmetic changes such as cloth faced seats and power windows. They started down the production line in Solihull as NAS and they came off as NAS.

Barry Taylor Enterprises petitioned NHTSA for import eligibility for these vehicles based on them being substantially similar. The petition is docket # NHTSA-2004-17022-1. NHTSA determined that the vehicles, if manufactured before Sept 1, 1997 and with VINs SALDV224*VA or SALDV324*VA are substantially the same and issued import eligibility # VSP 432.

This nonsense that the NAS Japan is somehow an inferior 'want to be' of the NAS US is no more than an attempt to extinguish the flame of an other to make one's own appear to burn brighter.

There is no nefarious conspiracy on the part of sellers to misrepresent these cars as NAS - they are NAS. Dealers et al are no more informed of the nuances of these models than some of the learned members of this forum.

The NAS was imported to Japan by Japan Rover for a specific market. LHD (especially English LHD) cars are a status symbol in Japan. Land Rover (UK) made the cars destined for Japan alongside the vehicles destined for the US. They are essentially no different in concept than a US domestic manufactured vehicle which has regional specific accessories added on the assembly line.

Given the fact that Japan as exceptional roads, annoyingly slow speed limits, rigorous annual vehicle mechanical inspections and high fuel costs resulting in generally lower miles driven, and argument could made that the NAS Japan is better value than the NAS US. They are certainly no less valuable than a comparable US vehicle.
Old March 4th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

It sounds like you own one Andy. I think a lot of us don't agree they are worth the same is because people were buying them in Japan for like $20k when the USA versions were selling for $60k. I think that's why we've seen so many come up for sale here and I think that's also the reason dealers often try to hide the fact that they're imports (or at least say nothing about it in their ad). And as you have pointed out there is only a range of those vehicles eligible for import and some of them have been brought over that are outside that range, either by mistake or intentionally, and are subject to seizure. That's why it's so important that anyone selling one is honest about what it is and you need to know the build date. We can argue that's the buyer's responsibility, and it is, but it's also the seller's. There are huge fines for selling an illegally imported vehicle.
Old March 4th, 2017, 05:06 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
I don't think caring about clean air is wack.
True, nothing wack about clean air.

However, California's dogmatic application of arbitrary regulations is definitely wack! You can present a Defender with exactly the same equipment and even measuring the EXACT same exhaust out the tailpipe but you won't be able to register it in California if the VIN isn't on the CARB list.

In fact, you could present a Defender with ZERO emissions out the tailpipe and California won't register it if you've changed the factory equipment.

WACK!!!

Mike & Carrie
Old March 4th, 2017, 05:33 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
It sounds like you own one Andy. I think a lot of us don't agree they are worth the same is because people were buying them in Japan for like $20k when the USA versions were selling for $60k. I think that's why we've seen so many come up for sale here and I think that's also the reason dealers often try to hide the fact that they're imports (or at least say nothing about it in their ad). And as you have pointed out there is only a range of those vehicles eligible for import and some of them have been brought over that are outside that range, either by mistake or intentionally, and are subject to seizure. That's why it's so important that anyone selling one is honest about what it is and you need to know the build date. We can argue that's the buyer's responsibility, and it is, but it's also the seller's. There are huge fines for selling an illegally imported vehicle.

Can you give an example of one that is here that is not from the allowed vin range? Bringing a 97 not in the range would be an impressive feet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, 97, nas