Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 11th, 2013, 09:36 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
What a complete waste

I can understand demilling a gun but why waste all these HMMWVs?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2013, 09:55 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Because they are death traps that offer little protection to IED which seams to be the greatest threat to armed forces around the world these days.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Because they are death traps that offer little protection to IED which seams to be the greatest threat to armed forces around the world these days.
They werent designed to deal with an IED. Take a look at how old the platform is.

Also, I thought that these had to be cut up in order to be sold as they arent highway/ DOT legal. Has this changed? How much do these things usually go for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Good farm trucks.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:24 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
..... I thought that these had to be cut up in order to be sold as they arent highway/ DOT legal. Has this changed? How much do these things usually go for?
That's what I mean by a waste. Per description:

"DEMIL AS A CONDITION OF SALE PER SURVEILLANCE PLAN"

Method and Degree of Demilitarization:
a. Demilitarization off government premises at contractor facility.
b. Demilitarization within 50 miles of DLA Disposition Services Pearl Harbor location.
c. Contractor will transport, at contractor’s expense, the items to their facility to complete the demilitarization with a certifier/verifier present.
d. Purchaser must completely destroy material that will result in the destruction of the item to prevent reuse, recognition or reconstruction of the item to the satisfaction of the government appointed verifier. Automated size reduction prior to shredding is allowed. The process must be able to pulverize cast iron, cast aluminum and magnesium. This process will be used for the majority of the property stream.
e. Any items that cannot be processed as above, due to size or metal thickness, may be processed by torch or shear with certifier and verifier concurrence.
f. No parts removal. Harvesting of parts is forbidden.
g. The use of precision torch fixtures, precision cutting saws or precision tools of any kind to minimize demilitarization are forbidden.
h. All military markings and data plates are to be completely shredded and destroyed.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
I wonder if they assigned the correct demil code.

First jump to Table 1.1:
http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r700_144.pdf

Then dig through this combersome manual for the definition and conditions for each code:
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/416021m.pdf

Suitable for privatization?
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:02 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I wonder if they assigned the correct demil code.

First jump to Table 1.1:
http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r700_144.pdf

Then dig through this combersome manual for the definition and conditions for each code:
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/416021m.pdf

Suitable for privatization?

So you're saying there's a chance? Anyone have a lead on a legitimate HMMWV that is less than $20-25K?

Old May 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Probably because they are aren't located on this continent?
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
A lot of people hate on the HMMWV for a variety of reasons but they're damn good vehicles for what they were designed for-and way more capable across a spectrum of usage than the CUCV which is good if you're playing park ranger but little else (you certainly aren't going to wade one of those off a landing craft as the tide comes in-for example).

IED's as the 'modern' threat is a bit overblown. That's just a tactic and there are plenty of ways to sidestep those tactics (starting with pick the right fights with defined criteria for termination to prevent long term occupation). Moreover everyone talks about IED's as if they are easy to make and employ. If that were true Boston would have been a lot worse than it was.

All that being said, these trucks would be a PITA for anything more than what was alluded to-a farm truck or totally offroad machine. A lot of maint to get them into shape and keep them running right given their age and likely exposure and usage. Suffice it to say after having HMMWVs for a few years (pre 9/11 times, I won't even get into the abuse that UAH's suffered) I wouldn't want a demilled one...as I know what I've done to them!
r-
Ray
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
So you're saying there's a chance? Anyone have a lead on a legitimate HMMWV that is less than $20-25K?
Even cut up, the parts would be cool. I remember an old 4Wheeler Top Truck Challenge where a guy took the chassis and running gear and bolted a Montero body on it. Ive always thought that that would be a cool thing to do. You get a pretty stout suspension with gear reduction hubs.
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There was a small legitimate batch of USMC HUMVEEs that leaked on to the market through a contractor about 15 years ago and avoided the demill process. Those are the only legit batch. Many can be had for well under $30k.

Semper Fi!
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:04 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
A lot of people hate on the HMMWV for a variety of reasons but they're damn good vehicles for what they were designed for-and way more capable across a spectrum of usage than the CUCV which is good if you're playing park ranger but little else (you certainly aren't going to wade one of those off a landing craft as the tide comes in-for example).

IED's as the 'modern' threat is a bit overblown. That's just a tactic and there are plenty of ways to sidestep those tactics (starting with pick the right fights with defined criteria for termination to prevent long term occupation). Moreover everyone talks about IED's as if they are easy to make and employ. If that were true Boston would have been a lot worse than it was.

All that being said, these trucks would be a PITA for anything more than what was alluded to-a farm truck or totally offroad machine. A lot of maint to get them into shape and keep them running right given their age and likely exposure and usage. Suffice it to say after having HMMWVs for a few years (pre 9/11 times, I won't even get into the abuse that UAH's suffered) I wouldn't want a demilled one...as I know what I've done to them!
r-
Ray

Just curious, what's your background? Trying to understand where your IED assessment is coming from.
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:11 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
So what does demilling them before the sale have anything to do with your post?
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Just curious, what's your background? Trying to understand where your IED assessment is coming from.
16 years (and counting) active duty USMC. Multiple tours in ground units in Iraq and Afghanistan. Enough close encounters with IEDs to be rather wary of them but also think they are overblown as a threat by pundits.

To frame it another way in 2006 I was in downtown Ramadi-it was the epicenter of violence at the time, more SIGACTs than Baghdad (which was 10x larger)-IED's were just a fact of life, but adjusting your tactics works better than continuing to add more and more armor and play drive around till someone goes boom. Walking more, at night, in small groups did a lot to offset the threat-and get right at an enemy who wanted you to stay inside your big, slow, uparmored truck.

So I'm definitely biased, but going back to the commentary about unarmored HMMWV's being obsolete, I'd say that totally depends on the kinds of fights you find yourself in. As a conflict starts the IED threat is usually non-existent (they don't just exist waiting to go off on Americans invading). Over time it may evolve-but that same time can be used to bring in the bigger stuff if needed-b/c MRAPs don't go on Amphibs very easily and are VERY heavy and expensive to fly in. Sometimes its better to find a non-material solution to a problem and use what you have effectively in that context. The HMMWV was, and is, a good vehicle even if long in the tooth now.

r-
Ray
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:19 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Dave, I think the train of thought is: they have little use in current operations and the military is dumping them via demilitarization. Not implying that an IED threat exists to the guy that buys one at auction.

Ray, understood. I have a view from a slightly different perspective. I'm an over 20 year army guy and MEDEVAC pilot. I responded to IED "nine-lines" several time a week in Afghanistan. Iraq not as much but that's because my tours in Iraq were on the draw down.

Army Hummers, up armored ones included, sit on lots parked as far as the eye can see. Sad that they aren't sold off at auction.
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
I think the train of thought is: they have little use in current operations and the military is dumping them via demilitarization. Not implying that an IED threat exists to the guy that buys one at auction.
Nope. The ones being "dumped" are past their service life (going on 30 years now). The humvee is still a valuable asset in certain conflicts and the fact they are not ending in foreign military sales is because they are past their service life.

I do agree with Ray, while IEDs are a huge threat - building bigger, badder armored vehicles isn't the answer - it's tactics. The enemy is already shredding our MRAPs ad MATVs with bigger IEDs.

Semper Fi!
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:36 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
I do agree with Ray, while IEDs are a huge threat - building bigger, badder armored vehicles isn't the answer - it's tactics. The enemy is already shredding our MRAPs ad MATVs with bigger IEDs.

Thats because they don't have those dangerous limb lifters!
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:24 AM
durt d1ver
BrianFennessy
04 d2

We got a couple humvees from the DOD after sandy. I usually take it for a drive every 2 weeks or so, just so that it doesn't sit and rot away. If you werent in the military, its cool the first few times you drive it, but then the noise and lack of comfort gets annoying.
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:31 AM
houdni
Daniel Loo
95 D90 #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Probably because they are aren't located on this continent?
but they are in my neck of the woods....i wonder if i could get it registered? though this close bidding mean you put in your max bid and hope someone doesnt go past you...
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:02 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by durt d1ver View Post
........then the noise and lack of comfort gets annoying.
You mean like my 88 and 110?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat