Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 5th, 2004, 04:51 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Whacked Euro laws...

So, my pops just bought a new rig over in Switzerland (where he resides). He told me that while the truck came with a brushbar, to get it properly registered as the new owner (2nd owner), the dealer had to remove the brushbar due to some new laws regarding front end brushbars. I understand this law is becoming more prominent throughout Europe.

Do any of our neighbors have any insight on this? Seems like a scapegoat tactic. Blame the brushbars for killing pedistrians, not the drivers.

I wonder if it has legs for making it's way here to our shores.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ask Michele Dallorso, I think he said once that he has to pay taxes on every thing he sticks on his Defender. But I have heard of the Brushbar pedistrian thing before, apparently over in the UK the car has the right of way not the pedistrian.
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:21 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have heard yhat also that is why the new ones are that foam shit like they put on the P38 rr's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2004, 05:45 AM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
The Euro laws state that manufacturers can't put large bull bars on vehicles, that's why you get the crappy cosmetic foam A bars (Switzerland may have it's own specific laws). There's nothing to stop you adding one as aftermarket though. Some insurers are charging you more for this and some would argue rightly so, as 1) you don't need ARB bars for the school run and groceries and 2) modern vehicles are supposed to be designed to sweep the pedestrian out of the way in lower speed collisions. I doubt it makes a difference on the Defender though.

I'm more worried about the US liability insurance coming to the UK:

1 year 110 Insurance in UK: USD 500, covers everything
1 year D90 Insurance in US: USD 2000 ish - due to the large liability portion

My bike was even worse - in NYC admittedly
1 year UK: USD 180
1 year NYC: USD 1800!!!

Pedestrians in the UK usually have right of way, e.g. http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml#146. I personally find its best not to hit them and argue about it though!

Nick.
Old December 6th, 2004, 05:54 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

the bumper is designed to throw a pedestrian over the hood and top of a car where as a brush bar throws one in front and there is a chance of running over the person again
bumper has to be made at a certain hight by law
the way a defender is at the front i dont think it would make much difference
its not law in the UK but they were talking bout it years ago
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:01 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Thanks fellas. I'm doing some legwork to find out what the law states there. I have a feeling it may just be an insurance thing, rather than a stated law.

Old December 10th, 2004, 02:14 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

David,
post what you find out. I had a question to a friend here. If a pick up truck drives with the rear gate in the down position (I believe this helps the air flow through the empty bed) and I rear end the pick up, can I win a court case not to pay damages as the pick up driver did knowingly void the factory safety devices, i.e. the rear bummper and compression give of the frame).
Old December 10th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Paul, I don't know about liability issues, but I do know that in MOST larger pickups the tailgates are designed to be easily removed without tools. They also make the replacement mesh type tailgates to improve airflow. But a bed cover is generally a better option since it both improves the airflow over the bed, and keeps the tailgate in place to prevent things from falling out.

As to the bull-bars, I wonder if any of it has to do with airbags? I know that big steel brushguards and such do delay or prevent airbags from depoying. I've seen a few labeled as being "airbag safe". The foam style wouldn't have this issue.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:06 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Paul,
I know the law here says there has to be a flag on it if it's a certain length over the bed, but I doubt a gate down is outside that length.
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Post Euro laws etc

Hi there,
I'm not sure Switzerland share the European laws about cars/trucks being not in the EC,but
they have a slightly different different approach I think...I'm 20 mins far from the border and have a good mate
who runs a Toy-ouch!-ta,so can ask details if needed.

About Italy (and UK if some mate from the old island appears to confirm) bullbars are actually banned,
foam filled ones have been introduced as a general (IMHO) view seem to be 4x4s are evil,they're too big,too heavy,too dangerous etc (see:pollution threads etc),so laws are getting more restrictive.

As I already wrote somewhere I'm not allowed to fit bigger tires (must stay within a +5% starting from the OE tires...205/80R16 I had...),have to pay 30 or more euros to get the permission,have to drive the truck for the local "MOT" test and on and on.
Same applies for everything else.

Bullbars were allowed until a certain MY but can't remember now.
My logbook says I'm allowed to fit one,but I should have it tested and registered and here we go again...

Mmmh,gone a bit OT,should someone need more infos about Swiss laws PM me or ask here,I'll give my friend a yell and report.

Hope it helps.

(BTW,dunno what's the weather like over there,but I was fitting my winch almost in T-shirt this afternoon...)

(obviously I'll have to pay soon in Jan for that and have it checked out)
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old December 13th, 2004, 09:31 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

And we over here in the states whine about the the Gov getting our faces!!!
Thanks SEMA

Keith
www.rovertracks.com

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 14th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I think we need a "SEMA" over here too...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac