Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Western Black Rhino declared extinct

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/10/world/...iref=allsearch

Sometimes feels like world I grew up in is disappearing around me. When my children get older, my wife have always talked about taking a safari trip to Africa. I hope the animals I used to love growing-up as a kid are still there when we get the chance to go. Rhino's were always one of my favorites.....

Follow-up: Original '94 Defender TV ad w/ Rhino

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
This is just wonderful. Love the fact that we have contributed to a booming Chinese economy thats created an entirely new class of wealth in China increasing the demand for all things Ivory.... So sad I know we all drive British cars but is it time to say we must only buy things made in America?
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:34 PM
T1G UP
marcus
Puma 110 xs. Td5 110 xs for sale

can't really seem the english rushing out for ivory?!

i think we should keep imports to a minimum...who the fuxk let mc donalds in!
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1G UP View Post
can't really seem the english rushing out for ivory?!

i think we should keep imports to a minimum...who the fuxk let mc donalds in!
Good point . I should of clarified.
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
It's not ivory. It's for use when ground up as an aphrodisiac believe it or not.

As to users of IProducts as consumers of Chinese-made goods, don't worry, the Chinese will be happy to lend you some of the $3 trillion of Treasury bonds and US currency they currenly hold to buy that iProduct.
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
It's sad to see whats happening to the world. It's also sad how few people care or are even aware of this.
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:45 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Here is the thing I remember from a science class I took in college. Populations of said species go up and down over a period of time, like a sine wave. Now said species population might be getting smaller and smaller. We don't really truly know if that population was getting smaller all on its own as species come and go in the grand web of things. Did Man accelerate things, perhaps but that species was probably on its way out anyhow.
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Here is the thing I remember from a science class I took in college. Populations of said species go up and down over a period of time, like a sine wave. Now said species population might be getting smaller and smaller. We don't really truly know if that population was getting smaller all on its own as species come and go in the grand web of things. Did Man accelerate things, perhaps but that species was probably on its way out anyhow.
To politely disagree, in the case of the black rhino, the population declined from 70,000 to 10-15,000 in the span of a decade and the cause was poaching. While species population does increase and decrease over time for a number of factors, here we have a clearly defined external cause of population decimation. Maybe the black rhino was going the way of the dinosaur eventually but given the situation, we will never know. For reference, population statistics are from the WWF who has been tracking black rhino population since 1960.
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
[sarcasm]But if you drive a Prius, doesn't that mean that the 'I care' box gets checked and you can go back to whats happening on facebook?[/sarcasm]

-Jeff
damn Briggs thats a good one

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:05 PM
slangel
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree

This really makes me incredibly sad. It is my hope to take my children to Africa and experience seeing animals as I did when I was young.
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:07 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
[sarcasm]But if you drive a Prius, doesn't that mean that the 'I care' box gets checked and you can go back to whats happening on facebook?[/sarcasm]

-Jeff

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm doing my part. As part of a partnership between the Botswanan Defense Force and the North Carolina Guard, we're going over next fall to Botswana, and helping the Defense forces and park rangers do tactical planning and training to protect against poachers to preserve their # industry: tourism. That is going to be incredibly satisfying. I have friends who have already gone over there and said the wildlife in the game parks is amazing.

I hope the world can intervene before it's all gone.
Old November 11th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Negative Earth
Jonathan Hanson
1974 88
D-90 Source Vendor

Well done, Mark!

Roseann and I just returned from Kenya, where we coordinated a workshop for a group of Maasai game scouts in anti-poaching tracking. The wildlife in their community-owned region (no national park or government funds) is doing extremely well. The lion population has gone from around ten to almost 50.

Community conservation is the key to the future.

Old November 11th, 2011, 09:51 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I don't believe you intended it that way, but that sentence sent chills up my spine...
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Boys, boys, Western black rhino is not THE black rhino, but a rare subespecies that has been in the brink of extintion since the turn of the century. Of course, this is very bad news, but no so bad as if we lost all Diceros bicornis!
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago Montenegr View Post
Boys, boys, Western black rhino is not THE black rhino, but a rare subespecies that has been in the brink of extintion since the turn of the century. Of course, this is very bad news, but no so bad as if we lost all Diceros bicornis!
I was tracking that. Most sub-species of rhino probably have specimens worldwide in captivity, but regardless, 7 billion humans and growing has consequences on the environment, and with the economic growth of Asia and the continuing poverty of Africa mixed together, the problem is going to get worse before it gets better.
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Perhaps? You obviously didn't read the articles. There is no question what is contributing to the extinction. Poaching, in high numbers. More specifically because superstitious Vietnamese (primarily but other Asian countries too) believe that rhino horn cures cancer and they pay a lot of money for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover
------ Follow up post added November 11th, 2011 12:49 PM ------

Nice, Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I'm doing my part. As part of a partnership between the Botswanan Defense Force and the North Carolina Guard, we're going over next fall to Botswana, and helping the Defense forces and park rangers do tactical planning and training to protect against poachers to preserve their # industry: tourism. That is going to be incredibly satisfying. I have friends who have already gone over there and said the wildlife in the game parks is amazing.

Old November 11th, 2011, 01:54 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

For God's sake.........what's next..........the T-rex??
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Negative Earth
Jonathan Hanson
1974 88
D-90 Source Vendor

Santiago, thanks, I think we all knew this article referred to a subspecies. However, you start down the "Well, it's just a subspecies" path and the next thing you know all you've got left is one genetically impoverished population of the main species somewhere. Negev leopards, Asiatic lions, Iranian cheetahs - it would be tragic to lose them even with other populations still around.

I've seen one black rhino in the wild, from a Cessna flying low over the Namib Desert. Even at that remove it was a thrilling sight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac