West Des Moines sighting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Monkeyboy

West Des Moines sighting

Only slightly more unusual than in Los Angeles.....

I saw a new to town green ST full of younger guys last evening!

Thank goodness I actually was driving the '97SW so my waving wasn't as stupid looking as it might have been otherwise

Anyway, nice looking ~mostly o.e. too.

KAA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

That was me ! I bought her in september out in DC from this board. The guys you saw were myself, my WIFE, and our two young sons. (they sit pretty high up in the Exmoor forward facing folding seats) so being 4 and 5 they do kinda look like bigger kids. You must've been in the red defender? Nice ride. Hope to see ya again on the road someday.
Eric
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Monkeyboy

Whoops...sorry about the poor passenger I.D.

Stay warm and Happy New Year,

KAA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2008, 06:32 PM
D-Dave
David Jensen
'97 D-90 ST

Where are you guys all hiding?!?!
I've had a SLUG of D-90's over the years and never crossed paths with any of you! I have had a '94 ST, two '95 wagons, a '97 wagon, and am currently cruising around town in a Portofino Red "97 ST with the hard top on for winter driving! I've also had a slug of RR Classics and current LR rigs as well. I just picked this one up from Copley in Sept.-21,000 mi. on the clock and it's a keeper! I had jump seats installed before they shipped it to me, and the kids love it for short hops. PM me and let's try and meet up some time...
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:01 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
You can caravan to KC with Keith for the next (not planned yet) Flatland Rover Society event. Plenty of Defenders here.
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
D-Dave
David Jensen
'97 D-90 ST

I'll have to do that!
Keith-I may have met you in the past-I used to hang out at the LR dealer quite a bit when they were o
over at EMD. I did several of their events, and have an off road course on one of my farms.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Monkeyboy

Hey David...

Yeah, you know the Disco and maybe the 109....whatever happened to "an event at the Farm"?

Happy New Year,

KAA
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

I've got a question for you guys,
Where do you get your vehicles serviced? I went into Betts to order parts and they really didn't seem to know much about the defenders. Also, I had Beckleys replace my master cylinder on my clutch and they were having problems reinstalling the new one. It does now however work fine but I think they were kinda costly. $400
An event on "The Farm" sounds interesting

Eric
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Monkeyboy

I'm no help at all....all my service is done at home

Let me think on that one...

KAA
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
D-Dave
David Jensen
'97 D-90 ST

Hey Keith-I thought that was you! I am horrible with names, but I never forget a Rover!

I really wanted to do the "Farm Day" as an event when EMC had Rover, but they could never get their insurance to sign off on it. They were a little sketchy about anything with any difficulty at all after the Knoxville run and all of the vehicles that got tore up there. Do you remember the poor guy in a Freelander that didn't understand his HDC? I was right behind that guy-they kept telling him to put it in neutral, select HDC and just let it coast down the hill-they FORGOT to tell him to put it back in gear! He shot down the hill like he was launched out of a canon an drilled that tree dead on!

Ended up behind another guy in a new, still dealer tagged Disco II-right as he started up that steep hill incline his 10 yr old decided to bail out the back-bent the door up on it's hinges a good 10".

I'd be more than happy to have a few guys out to run the farm on our own any time! I picked up a few of those little side by side UTV's this fall-a Polaris RZR S and a new Polaris Ranger HD and we have been having a ton of fun with them all over the farm. ALMOST as much fun as the Defenders and Classics, and you laugh instead of cry when you roll one on it's side.

Lindy-
I actually use a guy out here in Adel named Oren Peterson. The guy is FANTASTIC for anything that I don't want to tackle on my own. He was a master Jaguar technician and was the head mechanic for Dave Ostrem Imports when they were open. The guy really knows his stuff on the vintage imports, and I got him the full service shop manual for the Defenders and the engine shop manual as well. He's done everything from a full block split on my old 911 to water pumps and head gaskets on my Rovers. PM me and I'll dig up his number for you.
As far as Willis, they are a great group, and they try hard, but I gave up on them for vintage stuff (and yes, our NAS Rovers qualify as "vintage" at that place!) a long time ago. You are much better off ordering from Rover's North, Atlantic British, etc, and taking the parts and your truck to a guy like Oren. The last truck I took to them was my '95 Classic LWB and even with the right parts ordered they still couldn't get the install right. They were great for my '08 RR and the wife's LR3, but anything older and you might as well be taking them the space shuttle to overhaul-they don't know the best way to approach it. Matt Willis does try hard though, and I am GLAD to see someone representing LR here in Des Moines-I don't want to have to go back to running over to Omaha to get service work done!

Hope to see you guys out on the road!
-Dave
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
hey dave,

hows the d-90 going? (sorry to hi-jack)
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Monkeyboy

Hey, it's the other, other "Keith"

No worries there Mr. H....

Dave, I had somehow missed your 02-Jan reply above.

Glad you've found someone relatively local for repair work! That's great.

Let's pick a Saturday and get muddy!

Best,

KAA
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM
D-Dave
David Jensen
'97 D-90 ST

Good evening guys!
Keith-The D-90 is AWESOME! I do, however need to get the head gaskets done as they are leaving little spots on the garage floor. I love the truck though, and am SO GLAD to have a '97 in and amongst the other Rovers!

Keith-You name the Saturday and we'll make it happen! We had the RZR and the Rhino out this last weekend to check the river trail out and it was great! I spent most of the day out there playing and only got stuck twice!

OT-I was coming back from a business trip to Chicago today and as I was coming back on I-80 through Iowa City I saw the SWEETEST D-110 getting off on one of the Iowa City exits heading east bound! It was definitely not an NAS, as it was green with a white top, and no SD external roll cage. It had aluminum LR five spoke wheels-any idea who owns it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, sighting