Were these NAS accessories ever available? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 7th, 2016, 05:43 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Were these NAS accessories ever available?

This is from a 1994 Defender brochure - shows two items, neither of which I've ever seen in person (despite having sold Defenders when new and having worked at RN in the mid-90s)... wondering if anyone ever saw one or owned one.

The rack system confuses me: does/did one need to make holes in the soft top as well as modify the "C" pillar of the safari cage? I'm mostly curious whether this was even offered.

The soft-top appears to me to be a Besttop prototype. The rear window certainly looks like a zip-out style. It's really hard to tell if there's a belt rail, given that the photo doesn't include the sides, but that rear-driver's-corner sure looks like it lacks snaps. Also, there's some odd rod-type thing protruding from the passenger side rear curtain. Note the alpine windows. This, along with the year of the brochure, are what lead me to think "prototype" (LRNA had warranty problems with the Tickford top right out of the gate, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were working on a replacement top mid-year).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5940.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	153305  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2016, 07:45 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I've seen and have a set of the Thule crossbars from LR, but never seen the rear section shown.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 7th, 2016, 01:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Which accessories brochure is that? pic of the front cover? I agree a single crossbar attachment would be very odd. It looks like the extender may run like a U with the open rails facing toward the back and the front bolted in all along the bottom of the front crossbar. There was likely an adjustable crossbar that slid along those open rails and some padding underneath to provide the "support" in the back. Clearly not meant for heavy items if it ever made it to market at all.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5940.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	153313  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2016, 01:39 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
The part number is in the parts catalog from November 1997, I don't know if that means it was actually produced or not.
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:06 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Thanks for straightening out the pic, Josh.

The image comes from the "Summer of 94" brochure - advertising the black w/ leather NAS 90.

Too bad I didn't get a better quality pic. I can't imagine the rear section "floats." I'll have to take a look at my original Thule crossbars (the ones that go over the door tops and attach to the safari cage). I *seem* to recall holes in the bottom - which would seem to be mounting points for the sections that run parallel with the length of the truck.

Very interesting that it made it to the 1997 parts catalog - will have to go through my collection of microfiche to see if it made it in all years.

I take it no one has seen this in person?

P.S. Very excited to be getting "deluxe" bars from SDO, which effectively will mimic this design, but allow for very stable mounting points - plus no holes in my Tickford.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, nas