Well, that explains the grinding I guess... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491
Well, that explains the grinding I guess...

We took the 90 to Padre Island last week for a few days of sun and fun on the beach. We left after one night because the winds were so bad and we were sick of eating sand. On the way home, about a block from the house, my wife and I looked at each other and asked if we heard that grinding noise in the drivetrain. We drove the rest of the way home and I decided to look at it in the morning. I figured that after 80+ miles of driving in soft sand that there was a chance that sand got where it shouldn't be. I looked everything over and found nothing out of the ordinary and chalked it up to tired.
A few days ago I way driving to lunch and the slight grinding came back and definitely was coming from the front right wheel. I stopped immediately and pulled the tire to look things over. I found that the hub nut dust cover was broken into pieces and the hub nut was loose under there. Bad. I tightened it and all seemed better.
On the way home I bounced over some train tracks and all hell seemed to break loose from that same wheel. From the sound I assumed the wheel was flying off or something. Shit. I pulled the tire again and turned the rotor by hand it it seemed to be sticking. Ok, a warped rotor, I assumed, as it was dark and I couldn't see anything else. Nothing too bad, I'll pull it and get it turned this weekend. I put the wheel back on and drove home while the wheel made a huge racket.
This weekend I pulled the wheel. The rotor looked fine. I pulled the hub nut and the outer bearing looked good so I pulled the rotor to find the horror displayed below. A couple of the bolts that hold the rotor to the hub had backed out and were making contact with the bolts on the outer swivel. My father looked on in horror too. No one but me had ever heard it make the loudest noises but now he believed me. Two of the bolts had the heads sheared in half and all 5 of the swivel bolts showed signs of contact. I got out the grinder and Dremel and fixed on the star bolts and put 'em right back in(with a liberal dose of Loctite of course)
I was impressed at the lack of sand in the works after I've taken the truck over nearly 200 miles of beach in the last month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	4391   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	4392  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	4393  

A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar, it'd be far too busy doing something important somewhere for someone - Top Gear
Old November 25th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
Ummm..... Ouch! That sure is one of the oddest that I've seen as well.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 25th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
WOW! Surprising enough that one did it, but 2! Glad nothing bad happened, your 90 has seen enough damage from oncomming trailers!
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat