Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 15th, 2012, 06:59 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Welding help

For all you welders out there - maybe you can give some advice

I got a Lincoln Pro Mig 140 and have been trying here and there to get some practice. I dont have that much stuff to weld so Ive just been practicing on some scrap.

I spent the coin on a gas set up, and have a tank of 75/25 co2/Ar mix. I've found I can get a decent "sizzle" going on a slightly lower voltage than the guide says, but it doesn't look like its penetrating enough. If I crank up the voltage it "pops" way t0o much and seems to be globbing up instead of a nice steady bead.

I just tried switching it over to flux-core wire and it seems to be surprisingly a lot "easier" to get a nice bead and penetration. It sizzles and doesn't pop nearly as much as the gas set up.

Any idea why? I have the polarity set correctly for each set up, I clean the heck out of the metal, I have the Gas set at ~35psi?

I deff hear the gas coming out when I use it, am I missing anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429
For all you welders out there - maybe you can give some advice

I got a Lincoln Pro Mig 140 and have been trying here and there to get some practice. I dont have that much stuff to weld so Ive just been practicing on some scrap.

I spent the coin on a gas set up, and have a tank of 75/25 co2/Ar mix. I've found I can get a decent "sizzle" going on a slightly lower voltage than the guide says, but it doesn't look like its penetrating enough. If I crank up the voltage it "pops" way t0o much and seems to be globbing up instead of a nice steady bead.

I just tried switching it over to flux-core wire and it seems to be surprisingly a lot "easier" to get a nice bead and penetration. It sizzles and doesn't pop nearly as much as the gas set up.

Any idea why? I have the polarity set correctly for each set up, I clean the heck out of the metal, I have the Gas set at ~35psi?

I deff hear the gas coming out when I use it, am I missing anything?
What thickness steel are you welding? What size wire? Are you adjusting the wire feed speed when you up the voltage? What is your gas flow set at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:43 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Wolf beat me to it, all of those things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2012, 08:29 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Ok - well it seems to be across all thickness of metal that I've tried. The thinnest I had was 14awg, and i've tried it on that, 12awg - 1/4"

I was using .25 wire with the gas set up.

I tried numerous settings with the speed and voltage. I did find it was a little better if I decreased the wire speed and moved a little slower. (not sure if thats right or not but it just seemed to work a LITTLE better) Also holding the tip as close as possible to the metal seemed to help a bit too

Gas flow was at 35psi

The main issue is the popping/splattering everytime I upped the voltage. I could see the globs forming at the end of the wire and then dropping onto the steel instead of forming a puddle on the steel.
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:33 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
fyi the gas should be around 5 psi. 35psi is way too high. However without a flowmeter you're just guessing.

Also use 100% argon in the future.

It sounds to me like you're turning up the wire feed speed, not the heat.

------ Follow up post added April 15th, 2012 08:34 PM ------

If you see the wire balling up due to the high temps, increase the wire feed speed.
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

also if you are welding up holes, try clamping a piece of copper sheet behind the area, This wont stick to the weld and will support the puddle. You will use less wire and it will be easier,
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:50 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
fyi the gas should be around 5 psi. 35psi is way too high. However without a flowmeter you're just guessing.

Also use 100% argon in the future.

It sounds to me like you're turning up the wire feed speed, not the heat.

------ Follow up post added April 15th, 2012 08:34 PM ------

If you see the wire balling up due to the high temps, increase the wire feed speed.

5psi? Everythign I've read has said ~30 this is at the regulator

Appreciate the info on wire speed. I will try that for sure!
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
5psi is way to low, 35 too high. I run mine at 20psi, and I think my welder recommends 17-25psi (I have a Miller 220v). I would stick with 75/25 Argon as pure Argon doesn't like thinner metal IMO and is best suited for TIG. Next, I would practice on thicker metal. You are trying to weld thin metal which takes some practice and getting to know your welder.

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2012 06:44 AM ------

Oh, now sure how your settings are laid out, but my cheat sheet recommends a wire speed of 45 and a voltage of 3 for 1/4" steel. From there I fine tune. Make sure the metal is clean too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
5psi is way to low, 35 too high. I run mine at 20psi, and I think my welder recommends 17-25psi (I have a Miller 220v). I would stick with 75/25 Argon as pure Argon doesn't like thinner metal IMO and is best suited for TIG. Next, I would practice on thicker metal. You are trying to weld thin metal which takes some practice and getting to know your welder.
^^ That should work. I would stick to around 20 psi and 75/25 mix.

I might try the .035 wire instead of the .025. I have never used the .025 so I'm not sure how it acts, but the .035 should be pretty good for you. Just don't forget to adjust your rollers to the correct size if you do switch wire thickness. They should just flip around to change sizes.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

I agree with Jonathan. Also make you have a good ground!! And check this site has a lot of great information about welding

www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2012 06:44 AM ------

Oh, now sure how your settings are laid out, but my cheat sheet recommends a wire speed of 45 and a voltage of 3 for 1/4" steel. From there I fine tune. Make sure the metal is clean too.
Hey Wolf- can you post your cheat sheet?
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I prefer flux core in general, then again, I am not able to stack dimes like some people can, but my welds look decent and are strong from my Hobart 135.
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:40 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
^^ That should work. I would stick to around 20 psi and 75/25 mix.

I might try the .035 wire instead of the .025. I have never used the .025 so I'm not sure how it acts, but the .035 should be pretty good for you. Just don't forget to adjust your rollers to the correct size if you do switch wire thickness. They should just flip around to change sizes.

Cool - Will give it a try again. Gotchya on the roller, flipped it around for the flux core - takes about 2 seconds.
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I start with this one on the lid of my welder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4019616558.png
Views:	54
Size:	924.5 KB
ID:	50421  

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat