Welders... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 18th, 2005, 03:04 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Welders...

Another post got me thinking on this subject, thanks Hans! http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...44301post44301

Anyway, what I was wondering is what kind of welders do you all have? Mig, Stick (arc), Tig, or other?? I have taken a few welding classes in High School and was pretty good at it back then (6 years ago, hehe) but I really haven't tried it since. I never got the chance to try my hand at a Tig, but have always wanted to (my HS shop got a Tig right as I graduated).

Just curious as to what you have!!
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2005, 03:22 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

We've got just about everything in our machine shop at work. If it was me I'd get a portable Miller wire feed unit. If you want I can pull the model number off the side of ours.
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I like to tie 6 volt golf cart batteries (250 amp hour) together in series and weld junk laying around the lab together using paperclips and anything else I can find that works as good as a stick. Other then that we just use the big old 250 amp stick welder at my dads place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2005, 05:48 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I have Lincoln mig welder, a Miller arc welder and a Lincoln plasma cutter. What ever you get, you "get what you pay for". Cheap crap is cheap crap...........period. Don't buy some off brand, but I do like the Mike Hippert style of welding.
PM me if you have any specific questions.................
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:56 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Mike, I like that idea, must work pretty well too, eh?

Thanks for posting everybody, I don't have any specific questions, I am mostly just curious as to what most of you are using.
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
Mike, I like that idea, must work pretty well too, eh?
Ummm yeah, exept the whole burning the hair on my arm trying to weld together a paperclip man, still funn none the less. Oh neat idea for sparklers! Get some straned wire (10 awg) attach one end to the negative then strip and frey the other end and run it across the posative! I set it up and take pics, but I got in trouble last time
Old July 18th, 2005, 07:17 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Here is the model I use, probably a bit overkill for home use but it works great in my shop. I decided on the Miller over the Hobart due to the fact that the miller has metal parts where the Hobart uses plastic.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...llermatic_251/
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Here is mine:
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...llermatic_175/

I have been very satisfied.
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:14 AM
jcasteel
John Casteel
1961 Series IIa

I think mine is a Miller 135. 110 volt power. Works great but I sometimes need a 220 v unit.

If you have access to 220v go with the larger size. You can always run a temporary line from the dryer to your welder.

Best to first define what you will be welding and then buy a machine to meet those goals.
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I use a Millermatic 250x...I highly recommend it. I had a 110v unit for a long time. They work great for sheet metal and thin stuff but performance suffers on larger material. Read the fine print. Most 110v units are rated at their max performance only on a 10% duty cycle (weld 1 min, let machine cool down for 9 min) and usually require a 30 or 40Amp 120v outlet, which many residences don't have. A decent 220v unit will do 1/4" steel all day with a 100% duty cycle and 1/2" at about 60%. I highly recommend going with a 220v unit...even if you have to move the stove or dryer to plug it in...it's worth it in the long run. Buying online is ok, but I would first tour the welding shops in your local area and see what brands they carry consumable parts for...I would stick with a name brand that you can get parts and service for locally. Also remember, buying a welder is like buying a Rover...soon you will be buying lots of accessories and companion tools... Let's see:
Chop saw, angle grinder, welding helmet, gloves, leathers, torch set, bandsaw, pasma cutter...and the list goes on....
Rob
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:46 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
Also remember, buying a welder is like buying a Rover...soon you will be buying lots of accessories and companion tools... Let's see:
Chop saw, angle grinder, welding helmet, gloves, leathers, torch set, bandsaw, pasma cutter...and the list goes on....
Rob
That aint no lie!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat