Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 17th, 2015, 08:40 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
Weird issue with potential 110 stalker

Some of you may have seen my thread about the 110 that I'm in the process of buying, which will get some work done @ Rockware in Colorado Springs. Someone from the Phoenix area has been calling Rockware, and another fab/4x4 shop in CO trying to find my 110, buy my parts, and getting me to let them (AZ guy) do the work. This person has not contacted me directly (my e-mail, and PM are checked regularly, and are not secret), but is really going out of their way to get a hold of my parts and take business away from a shop I know well, and trust implicitly.

First off, that is very strange, and is weirding me out.

Secondly, this person was able to find out where the work is being done, how hard would it be to contact me directly?

Thirdly, the nature of the conversations between this person and the shops mentioned were strange. Both of the people mentioned that they felt it odd, and would not give my personal information to the AZ guy.

What would you do? I feel like I should reach out to him and politely ask him to stop.

Lastly, if the person who did this is on the board, please stop. My parts will be for sale soon enough, and you'll be able to put offers on them with everyone else. I have no intention of giving my business to you, when I have a knowledgeable, reputable shop local to me who has done a lot of work for me in the past.
'12 Rockware 3-seat rock buggy - FOR SALE!
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Usually in cases like this (stalking) we just blame Josh, but thats only because of the special Ops center he has in his spare bedroom.
I don't know, I'm curious to see who owns up to this (if anyone)
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:00 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Maybe semantics, but I am confused. How are they trying to get work away from the shop you are using without asking you to give them the work—are they misrepresenting themselves (and you) to Rockware, stating they are going to do the work for you?

Why be so secretive about who the stalker is? I imagine you know who they are based on conversations with Rockware and fab/4x4.

From your side of the story, the person(s) stalking you sound like jackbeeps. Just "Out" them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2015, 09:32 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Well we know it's not ULC....

I have had tow trucks stalk me but never a Rover shop. I say out them and let the community police them.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:40 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
It's hard to answer when we have no idea what you are talking about. What does "in the process of buying" mean? What does "stalking a truck" mean? Did you buy the truck or didn't you? super confused

How does someone "take your parts"? Out with it man!
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:48 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
Someone from the Phoenix area has been calling Rockware, and another fab/4x4 shop in CO trying to find my 110, buy my parts, and getting me to let them (AZ guy) do the work.
Who is it? The LR places I know of in Phoenix are swamped with work. How would they even know what work you are having done to it unless they have a mole in the shop where it is at.
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:36 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I've had it happen in the past where due to my posts on boards I have people contact me about a car and parts they wanted to buy from me, long before it was for sale.

But it is strange that they know enough to know that your parts will soon be for sale, or not in use, yet they don't have the ability (balls?) to contact you directly. And in doing so, they basically take up the mechanics' time and creep people out.

What Dave just said is what I was thinking as well. But I'm not sure how that would work. Now, there is another scenario that I have in mind: In our area we have a guy who sells Rover (Defender) parts and vehicles that are overpriced and with no background. He just started his "business" one day on Craig's List. These type of people think they have a "new way" of putting into play a scheme to make money by buying and selling "behind the scenes" to and from people "in the industry" already. But the whole thing really just ends up looking creepy.

Not sure if you can decipher what I mean, but I've met several people like this, and I always wonder -- why not just be normal?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:09 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
Posting on mobile now, so if I miss things, my apologies.

The 110 was imported to Denver, and I'm waiting on the state to issue the title before taking possession. I've already put a deposit on it, so it's just a matter of time. Meanwhile, I've been collecting parts and info, and posted my plans in the build forum, as well as the GM gen IV thread.

I have this person's first name and number, but I won't give it out. I googled the number and found it is a mobile number with a Phoenix area code, and is associated with a classified ad for a discovery 1 motor two years ago in AZ.

What is odd is, this person seemed to be trying to get Rockware to give up my 110 build, as well as buy my take-offs. With no luck getting my info from Rockware, he then contacted another shop looking for my contact info, take-offs, and again offering to build my 110. This shop contacted me via pm on our local board to give me a heads-up.

From talking to these guys, both indicated that the person in question appeared to be almost 'manic' in behavior. I guess that's what has me the most concerned. I don't want to be a accusatory, but they made it sound as if the guy was on something.
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:12 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Uh... well, you do have legal pot there now, right? And being high would explain the odd behavior.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:18 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
Except for the az phone number.
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:19 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
Except for the az phone number.
He could have moved from here and kept his number.
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:26 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
Weird issue with potential 110 stalker

True. Thought of that. Here's the pm (edited for privacy).

Howdy!

I received a weird call at the shop today. It was a fellow out of Arizona looking to get in touch with you about your 110 build. Guess he builds them for a living and wants to pass along some info. Said he has been trying to become a member of CO4x4 but guess that takes forever nowadays. Anywho, I told him I didn't have any info for you and even if I did I wouldn't pass it out without speaking to you first. He also mentioned talking to Rockware, or that he was going to try them. Anywho, guy is trying really hard to get a hold of you and I thought I would let you know.

Think his name is xxxxxx and his number is 602-xxx-xxxx.

Dude could be a total psycho too. No idea. Just thought I would give you the heads up someone is trying very hard to get a hold of you.

Best of luck,
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:36 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I guess if you are looking for confirmation that the situation is abnormal, the situation is indeed abnormal.

Just stalk the guy back. A quick google search should unearth any information you need.

You may also be drawing incorrect conclusions about the persons intent.
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:54 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Call him
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:05 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Call him
this.
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:11 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Call him
It is as simple as that (^^^). I don't understand what the issue is.
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:22 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
yeah just call.

you never know. that could be his long lost 110 from the old country, or he's really bird-dogging and trying to startup his own shop.
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:40 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

You already have your build sorted out, so there is no added value for you to contact this guy.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:13 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
You already have your build sorted out, so there is no added value for you to contact this guy.
Except to figure out what he's doing
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:21 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Setup a conference call and we can all join ... I'm sure Josh has a few questions to ask them.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags