Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wee Little Leprechauns At Play

Wee Little Leprechauns At Play

A funny little story:

So I go out to the garage this morning an start up the D90 and open the garage door. I realized I forgot my work badge inside so put the tranny in neutral and jump out. I run inside and grab my badge.

When I returned to the garage my D90 was gone!!! Did someone steal it?!?!

NO! Some dumbass didn't set the parking brake. My D90 rolled out of the garage, down the driveway and ended up in the neighbors yard. Thankfully a ditch kept it from rolling any further. It stopped about 10 feet from two parked cars. I ran across the street hoping no one saw my bone-headed mistake - it was 830am mind you.

Anyway, no damage done. Just a lesson in my stupidity for all of you. My garage WAS level by the way and I never have to set the parking brake..... Now I will.

Or maybe it was the wee little leprechauns?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My brake was malfunctioning @ Uwharrie this fall and after climbing a section of the Daniel trail I carefully positioned it (rock behind tire) to walk back and help others through an obstacle. I got about 10 feet away and the truck started moving-fast. RenChing/Galpin/Steinhagen all got to watch me chase the truck, open the door and dive in all in one fluid motion. Fortunately no one got a photo.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 30th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, I wish I would have at least taken a picture of my debacle!

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The first time I went seriously off roading in my series at Uwharrie, the hand brake would not function and the battery would not charge properly so I was hesitant to shut off the truck and put it in gear. Everytime I stopped I would have the passenger get out and take the winch cable and put it around a tree to secure the truck (with a strap of course). Someone comments that it was like tying up ones horse. :-)
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Speaking of this very subject...I have replaced my NAS 110 Ebrake with one from a DII since they work much better. Very straight forward except the 110 cable screws into the bracket behind the seat box and the DII has a different end with an e-clip. I took the bracket to the machine shop and had the threaded part drilled out to accept the DII cable end and then put a small sleeve on the cable so that the e-clip held one end of the adjuster and the sleeve the other and bob's my uncle. The actual cable eyelet fits into the 110 brake handle no problems and the DII brake is a hell of a lot easier to adjust and is far superior in holding power.
Old December 30th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Speaking of this very subject...I have replaced my NAS 110 Ebrake with one from a DII since they work much better. Very straight forward except the 110 cable screws into the bracket behind the seat box and the DII has a different end with an e-clip. I took the bracket to the machine shop and had the threaded part drilled out to accept the DII cable end and then put a small sleeve on the cable so that the e-clip held one end of the adjuster and the sleeve the other and bob's my uncle. The actual cable eyelet fits into the 110 brake handle no problems and the DII brake is a hell of a lot easier to adjust and is far superior in holding power.
Pictures ? Sounds like a neat modification.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I will snap some this afternoon.
Old December 30th, 2008, 02:36 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

My wife had a Bronco II and used to work in a mall. She came home one day and accused me of moving her car across the parking deck into another spot. Said I was trying to hide it from her. I swore that I didn't move it and of course she didn't believe me...until a few days later when I tried to open the tire-swing to open the tail gate and it was mashed into the tail gate. I asked her if the Bronco was backed into the spot on the parking deck. She answered a sheepishly, "yes" as she saw me trying to pull the tire swing out of the tailgate. It was pure luck that it didn't hit anything as it rolled across an entire parking deck and landed perfectly into another parking spot.
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I had a Mini Cooper demo that I drove home and parked it in my driveway on an incline. I pulled the park brake up and left it out of gear. I went in the house then came out a while later, walked past the car to the barn and 20 minutes later I came back to the house and the car was gone. The car had rolled down the driveway and hit the side of my house. It knocked the masonry out of the corner of the house and put a huge dent in the hood. I had to drive the car back to the dealership and splain what had happened. It cost me the insurance deductable for the repair.

Why it decided to roll after sitting there for over five minutes is beyond me but that is what happened.
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had a LWB go on a walkabout while in park, and it turned out the viscous was toast and one of the front cv's had given it up. Thought/accused my father of moving the truck......

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Angry

Not my D90 but back in college I had a really nice mustang 5.0...anyway, late one night I was driving from the school library to the house I rented with some buddies from school. It was raining cat and dogs, I backed into the driveway which is on a downhill slope towards the house, I opened the driver side door so I could see as a backed in, my foot slipped off the clutch, the engine stalled, and I rolled down the driveway, I pulled the e-brake and the stepped on the brakes...couldn't stop it...I rolled down the driveway (with the door open), the driver side door slammed into the corner of the house, knocked out a brick, shoved the door into the fender and the stair railing leading to the deck punchered a hole into the rear spoiler...what a way to end a night studying calculus!

Old December 30th, 2008, 08:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Reminds of the the series on The Gods Must be Crazy.
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:49 AM
flounder
Chad Hamon
95 Black ST

I've got two stories about this.

96 Disco - 5 speed.

First time it happened, my sales assistant came in asked how much I had to drink the night before and if I was still drunk. I replied, didn't have anything, why? She said because your car is accross the parking lot in a space sideways. Luckily, no one had gottent o work yet and it hit the curb and stopped. Had it jumped the curb, it would have rolled out into Six Forks Rd which is a main drag in Raleigh and lord knows what would have happened. I guess it must have popped out of gear as I'm pretty sure it was in gear when I got out but I obviously didn't set the e-brake.

The second time this happened was not as good as the first time. I pulled into my inlaws driveway and went inside. I came out to get something out of the truck and it was gone. No where to be seen. I went back in and asked my wife if she had moved it to the street and she said no. I went back outside and looked at the street - gone. I then glanced accross the street and there she was, on the neighbors front porch! Damage - new bumper and backup lights and entire new railing for one side of the front porch. When it rolled out of the driveway, it took a slight left turn towards the porch thank good and hit the brick porch. Had it rolled straight, it would have gone right into their new garage / garage door which they had just added and finished about a month before.

I now use those wheel blocks that come with the lug wrench all the time!

Glad I'm not the only one this happens too!
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:20 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Picture 1 shows the two cable ends with the upper being the D2 and the lower the threaded 110 cable end.

Picture 2 shows the drilled out bracket, sleeve and E-clip

Picture 3 shows the new assembly ready to be bolted to the back of the seat box.

Note the D2 cable end is adjusted by turning end piece that is shown in photo 1. In the 110 version there is no adjustment on the cable only on the brake itself. The D2 version has adjustments on both the cable and the brake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	17108   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	17109  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	17110  
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Scott,

What is different about the D2 parking brake assembly ? Don't think I have ever seen one.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 31st, 2008, 09:51 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

The 110 version has two shoes that are engaged by a piston that slides down between one end of the two shoes, thereby expanding the shoes into the drum.

The D2 version uses a lever on one shoe that then pushes the second shoe into the drum. It provides more force in less travel. Additionally the cable is adjustable as well as the shoes.

The attachment of the cable to the drum is fairly complex on the 110 version. The D2 eliminates all the levers that are bolted to the TCase.

Also the D2 cable is fatter and shorter. It is a double shielded cable that will resist heat from the exhaust.
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:51 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Interesting stories mine hasnt ran away yet. You guys must not be taking care of your trucks, they always seem like they are trying to escape.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat