Webasto Gas Heater Install - where should I put it - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 16th, 2012, 10:33 AM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Webasto Gas Heater Install - where should I put it

and would anyone be interested in seeing how this upgrade was implemented, with pictures? This is my 2nd post and I want to start off by really trying to contribute, having been a lurker for some time, especially the tech section which has helped me in so many ways to keep my D90 performing and looking like it should.

As I'm sure you've heard over and over again from my Canadian buddies, it's bone-chillingly freezing up here and as much as I'm in love with the utilitarian gorgeousness afforded by my D90, the wife hates going out in it unless the soft top has been cast asunder and it's sunny and warm. Amazingly, she's all over it then and wants to go everywhere. Perhaps I should just leave her behind you say? No can do chaps; we are tight as tight can be, the missus and me and I want her to love my Defender or else.

I have done all the usual tricks to improve the stock heater that are clearly and comprehensively laid out here and on other sites but it's not made sufficient improvements to make it worthwhile sticking as is.

So I did the only thing I knew that would convince her that wintertime rides are just as fun in my D90 and that was to put in a super-charged flame-throwing Webasto heater under her arse cheeks in the storage dock beneath the passenger seat. This seems to have done the trick.

Anyhow, if anyone would like to see this heating upgrade, I would be more than happy to oblige. If enough positive feedback is received, I will put time into putting the pictures together, along with some text to explain what was done, what issues cropped up, alternative positions discussed, rationale for putting it where it is along with other stuff that cropped up as we brainstormed and then completed the installation, etc etc, then I'm more than happy to do this. But if there's little interest, I'll probably post them to my own blog and.or my FB page.

If admin have suggestions on how best to implement this either within the forum and/or another section of the site, please advise.

Anyhow, let me know what peeps think. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

take a look at this.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=18347

After install plan on taking coat off everytime you use it.
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:20 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Welcome John. Very smart thinking

Please do a write up - I think the "Small Projects" section would be a good place for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2012, 11:21 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I will be installing one soon I might do a write up. I am a little nervous about doing it myself, I might be called a cheap-fuck
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:49 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Thanks! My D90 has compartments under the seats, so the heater's been placed within that space under the passenger seat. That's a very good install though!

We drove from Waterloo to Toronto yesterday with the heater on its highest setting and the missus still had to keep her coat on. You can't win. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
take a look at this.
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=18347
After install plan on taking coat off everytime you use it.
------ Follow up post added February 16th, 2012 12:51 PM ------

Thank you and will do! I should be able to put something together later on today, after a visit to the wife's doctor and checking the footy results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Welcome John. Very smart thinking
Please do a write up - I think the "Small Projects" section would be a good place for it.
------ Follow up post added February 16th, 2012 12:53 PM ------

Ha ha! Hopefully my pics will give you the courage to get'r'dun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I will be installing one soon I might do a write up. I am a little nervous about doing it myself, I might be called a cheap-fuck
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
[QUOTE=RedD90;330661]We drove from Waterloo to Toronto yesterday with the heater on its highest setting and the missus still had to keep her coat on. You can't win. lol

You need better insulation. My 90 stays toasty even down to -40. You can also replace the stock heater with a better one quite easily. http://www.red90.ca/rovers/Heater/
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Thanks, Red! I have no insulation! lol I've been investigating improving acoustics and finding ways to create an optimal insulation solution to go hand in hand with my Webasto. From lining the bonnet to floor insulation, I've been doing my research to work up the best way to achieve this. I've been looking around your blog and what you're doing to improve the stock heating system is very impressive. Great job! I just wish I had your engineering and go-to skills as well as zero disabilities. TBF, if it wasn't for my disabilities, I'd be far more proactive but there ya go.

You mentioned that you have a Webasto as well. Where have you installed yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You need better insulation. My 90 stays toasty even down to -40. You can also replace the stock heater with a better one quite easily. http://www.red90.ca/rovers/Heater/
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedD90 View Post
You mentioned that you have a Webasto as well. Where have you installed yours?
Yes, but a coolant heater. It is just in front of the heater, http://red90.ca/photos/land-rovers/webasto I have a long distance wireless remote for it as well, so it is simple to have a nice warm truck before getting in.

There are some more heater pictures here: http://red90.ca/photos/land-rovers/webasto I have not updated the writeup, but I've since modified the dash vents and the heater output should be close to 10 kW now. It is pretty crazy. Low fan speed is too much at -20.....
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:41 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Ah, right on! I really like the option that you can remotely start the heater. I guess I can do the same for mine?

Also, how have you insulated yours?

Quote:
Yes, but a coolant heater. It is just in front of the heater, http://red90.ca/photos/land-rovers/webasto I have a long distance wireless remote for it as well, so it is simple to have a nice warm truck before getting in.

There are some more heater pictures here: http://red90.ca/photos/land-rovers/webasto I have not updated the writeup, but I've since modified the dash vents and the heater output should be close to 10 kW now. It is pretty crazy. Low fan speed is too much at -20.....
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
This is the remote I used: http://www.dinodirect.com/266-433MHz...P.html?cur=CAD Cheap, but works and has decent range. I keep mulling over getting a long distance paging car starter and using that as it would be nice to know the signal got through.

Insulation: Mine is a hard top... Load area has 1/2" and 1" polystyrene board insulation covered in plywood on the floor and walls. Roof has 1/2" of closed cell foam and 1/2" of open celled foam with a perforated vinyl cover. Cab walls and floor have the 1/2" closed cell with carpet on top. One day I will change some of this out for better noise blocking material, probably b-quiet.
Old February 16th, 2012, 03:09 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Thyis thread seems a little schizophrenic. I see so much red !

Ha ha ha

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:54 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Who said that? I said that! No you didn't. Yes you did! Are you me? No, I am you! Fool!

Ha ha! So much red in Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Thyis thread seems a little schizophrenic. I see so much red !

Ha ha ha
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:14 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Quote:
This is the remote I used: http://www.dinodirect.com/266-433MHz...P.html?cur=CAD Cheap, but works and has decent range. I keep mulling over getting a long distance paging car starter and using that as it would be nice to know the signal got through.
Cheers, Red. We are brothers. lol

Quote:
Insulation: Mine is a hard top... Load area has 1/2" and 1" polystyrene board insulation covered in plywood on the floor and walls. Roof has 1/2" of closed cell foam and 1/2" of open celled foam with a perforated vinyl cover. Cab walls and floor have the 1/2" closed cell with carpet on top. One day I will change some of this out for better noise blocking material, probably b-quiet.
I think it makes the world of difference having a wagon; I blame Mr Canvas. That's some pretty awesome insulation you have in there, fella. I was thinking about Line-x, colour-matched in red to maintain the theme of this thread. Ha ha! No, seriously I am.

I like that B-Quiet stuff though; I can see the missus trying to shout over the noise of the V8 with the stereo blazing out a bit of Skynyrd and me shouting, "B Quiet!" which will make her cross but after my explanation, I can blame the other red lumberjack and get her to buy it for me. Ha ha!

That Dynamat stuff looks good too. I think using a combo of these materials, depending on where they're put is a good way to go. I have a budget that is sufficient to get some help with the install and given my disabilities, I'm limited anyhow on what I can do so where needs must I guess. But you're right, good insulation is going to help out in a lot of ways. Meantime, I have old strips of carpet underlay stuck down the soft top sides to help with the firkin breeze around our ears. There's lots of gaps to ensure fresh air is a mandatory prerequisite for the privilege of driving THE best 4 wheel-drive's on the road.

Just want to also offer my regrets on not being able to post pics to those that have requested them tonight as I'd indicated I would. I promise I'll find the time tomorrow to get them uploaded to the site in the "Smaller Projects" section of the forum. Unexpected stuff cropped up which I've had to deal with and I'm too sozzled now to do what I planned to do in a logical format. Plus, I have to familiarise myself with the image upload tool etc. and my vision's all blurry. lol
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:17 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

As promised, I'll be adding some pics of the Webasto installation within the "Small Projects" section of the forum. Please be patient with me as I've not done this before.
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:42 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

My layman's guide has been started and I'm working with Admin to do my best to make it as easy as possible to follow. It's going to take some time and effort on my part as well as incorporating feedback from others to ensure completeness, so appreciate your patience as it evolves.

Cheers!

RedD90

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gas, heater, installation, webasto