Webasto Diavia air conditioning kits, potential group buy - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 30th, 2016, 04:54 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

No, I have not. I figured many of them are just trolling around the forum and would stumble upon our thread. Honestly, I don't really know any of them other than maybe sending them a PM about parts here or there over the last 6 months. If anyone has more of a relationship with them, feel free to let them know. Like I said before, I have all the engine brackets (I think) for a V8 LHD setup. I would be willing to temporarily donate them to someone that is more industrious than I and have them made. Here is the basis of a good on the side business. Between Robert's 200 Tdi brackets and these, we should have everyone's "LR" engine covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2016, 05:10 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I think what we need is an escrow account where people can paypal a gift to and get a refund (a gift back) if the deal falls through.
Then Steve will know who is buying and who is not buying.
For those of you without the lump sum, you can add the installments a little at a time so the big amount seems smaller.

Started a separate thread on the center cubby AC/heat setup for the middle row 110 and back 90 passengers.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:34 AM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

I think that is a good idea. Does anyone want to take that on? This way we have a third party involved. I always think about how I would want to do it if I spent $2000 for something I have never seen from someone I have never met. I called Webasto this AM to try and figure out if they can individually package these units for us b/c due to their shape, size, etc.. trying to pack this would be a nightmare. Ideally they give me one box with the evaporator unit and another with everything else, ready to ship...

Robert, are you still considering this unit, or are you sitting on the fence. You can manage the paypal also if you want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2016, 06:49 PM
GRNWOLF
Mike
1985 Defender ex MOD OM617

Registry
Just throwing out an escrow idea. Could setuo a GoFundMe/Kickstarter with webasto (or whomever) as the payee. It only gets paid if all the money shows up. Would probably have to have a separate setup for those with all the money ready to go.

For those without the money ready to go, maybe a super nice person can take the lump sums, pay for the whole unit(s) and hold them for delivery upon final payment. That seems beyond the scope of what most people would be willing to do though.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old August 31st, 2016, 07:57 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

I would say if nobody wants to organize it, then people can send money to my PayPal via friends and family from their bank account so that I don't get charged. I guess if you want that credit card protection, then just add whatever fees to the total. Your call. If for some reason this doesn't happen, I'll return what you paid.

I spoke to webasto today. The person I was talking to is no longer with them, but the new guy knows what is going on. He was checking on if each part number would come in an individual box. This way I can have them all mailed to me on a pallet, then take the individual boxes to get shipped without the hell of packing them. Count on a little extra for shipping them all to Austin, then to your doorstep unless someone else wants to pick them up in Michigan. If they won't individually package each part number, I probably won't move forward with this. That would be a huge mess...

Let me lock down the exact price in the next day or so, then we can move forward...
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:45 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by stancey View Post
I think that is a good idea. Does anyone want to take that on? This way we have a third party involved. I always think about how I would want to do it if I spent $2000 for something I have never seen from someone I have never met. I called Webasto this AM to try and figure out if they can individually package these units for us b/c due to their shape, size, etc.. trying to pack this would be a nightmare. Ideally they give me one box with the evaporator unit and another with everything else, ready to ship...

Robert, are you still considering this unit, or are you sitting on the fence. You can manage the paypal also if you want
We can setup a separate paypal and bank account just for this transaction.
We also need someone everyone can trust.
When money changes hands, the weak of character can also be challenged by temptation.
If no one else volunteers I can do it and be a good custodian of the money.
I want it understood that if there are damaged goods or other mishaps, we need to decide how this will be handled as I will not take personal liability for this thankless job.
Wonder if it is possible to purchase individually with group shipping?
That way there is no handling of the money for the masses who participate.
Everyone would pay Webasto individually, but have the combined group shipping advantage from Europe to USA.
Then each individual would be responsible for the point to point inside the USA shipping fees for the pieces they purchased.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old September 1st, 2016, 10:02 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Follow up to post 146.
Why won't Webasto North America ship the individual packages to the individual buyers, like they do for their individual dealers.
Webasto has to have a shipping department.

Old September 1st, 2016, 10:17 AM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

When I spoke to Matt at Webasto yesterday, I mentioned that to him and his concern was that we had 16 Part numbers going to 8 different places and something would get mixed up. Looking back on it, I should have insisted on it being that way. I'll wait for him to get back to me on how the stuff will be shipped from Italy and then I'll mention that to him again. That would make it a whole bunch easier if they could drop ship them.

So I guess Robert will be the banker on this one. When the time comes, I'll confirm with him who has paid. I'll put the order on my credit card (I get the points.....), then I'll send make sure Robert gets something that shows I paid for the order, then he can reimburse me. Is that kosher with everyone?

As far as if there are any issues with the shipment, I agree on some clarification. The items will be insured, so if any damage occurs then it will be your responsibility to file a claim with the shipper. If something doesn't work as it should, I will put you in contact with Webasto and you will deal directly with the rep / warranty dept. If you received the wrong item, then I will intervene and have Webasto fix it. If you ordered the wrong item without doing the proper due diligence, that is your problem and that is what the for sale thread on the forum is for.
Old September 1st, 2016, 12:53 PM
GRNWOLF
Mike

Registry
Ideally and more practically, Webasto should be able to take Ind. Payments and keep track of who paid for their order. Then they would ship to Webasto N.A. from where things can get shipped to individuals after each individual pays for their own individual shipping costs around N.A.. Ideally.

------ Follow up post added September 1st, 2016 10:58 AM ------

Take a look at escrow.com

Old September 5th, 2016, 09:26 AM
alboogiee
Alex
1991 D90

Subscribed.

Thanks to you guys for setting this up, I hope we're able to make it happen. I'll watch for updates as to how to proceed with payment/ordering.
1991 Land Rover Defender 90
1972 Mecedes 220D W115
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:53 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

Hey everyone, just an update. I've been playing phone tag with Matt this week. When I spoke to him last week he said that we could set it up that everyone paid webasto individually and then webasto would drop ship the units from the main office in Mich. I believe several people, maybe off of the forum, have called him lately asking about buying these units, so he wasn't sure what was going. We left it that I was supposed to touch base with him this week and figure out a system that people could individually call and pay for what they wanted, but under a group buy umbrella. I tried calling a few times this week, but nothing yet. I've learned that things move a little slow over there.
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:54 PM
GRNWOLF
Mike

Registry
Thanks for the update. I'm not going to call and complicate things and let you get it sorted.

Old September 13th, 2016, 05:20 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

Ok everyone. I spoke to Matt at Webasto and I believe we are all set. Everyone is in charge of emailing him to order what they need from the model numbers we had listed here. I told him that most likely, people will order either:
1. Condenser / under hood kit that includes the hoses $ 999.75 PN 263BL90C
2. Interior kit for LHD TDI 2.5 $ 1081.11 PN 621BL15100EB (300 Tdi)
3. Interior kit for RHD TDI 2.5 $ 981.20 PN 621BL18800EB (300 Tdi)

Please don't ask him if you can order just the wiring harness, or the evaporator, etc. We are set up to buy these above kits. I believe these are the correct numbers for the kits we may need, but someone please double check me on that. He said that it would be easier to email him what you want so that he can keep track of it. Please give him what you want, where you want it, and I believe he will follow up to get your CC info. He also said that he would like to do this in groups of ten items and would honor the pricing until the end of the year. The reason for the groups of ten is that these are specifically made to order, so it is easy when they are assembling LR stuff in groups rather than a single. Matt is a very nice guy, but he does not understand the ins and outs of this install at all, so please don't call him to ask which kit you should buy for your LS project. He was concerned that people would start calling him about application questions, which he doesn't know for LR's. From what I understand, he won't charge your card until the item has arrived into the US (Mich) and he contacts you for shipping. So, the CC is just a hold to order the item. He thinks shipping from Michigan should be pretty small and they get regular shipments from Italy, so whatever freight number they have, it is already built into the price. Hopefully everyone that plans on ordering from him will follow through when it comes time to really pay for the units w/ shipping, b/c I think this could be a good thing moving forward for everyone involved. I think that is everything. Here is his contact info. I think that most questions have been presented and answered in the thread, but please let me know if I left anything out. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ORDER THE RIGHT ITEMS YOU NEED. My only affiliation in this matter is trying to be a good Samaritan and moving this group buy forward. I will help as much as I can, but please don't push me under the bus.

Lead time on getting the units delivered to Mich is 30 days once we have a group of 10 items put together. He said that he would even do 5 initially just to get the ball rolling, but would prefer 10 at a time in the future. It will take longer once we push towards December b/c of the holidays in Italy. Again, email him please.

Matt Wheeler
Webasto Thermo & Comfort North America, Inc.
HVAC Sales Manager
Main: (800) 860-7866
Mobile: (786) 385-0691
Email: matt.wheeler@webasto.com
www.webasto.com
Old September 13th, 2016, 06:46 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
This gets me one more step closer to being able to daily drive this thing all year long.

Thanks for the work you've put in on this!
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:19 PM
GRNWOLF
Mike

Registry
So awesome! I'll email/call tomorrow.

Not sure why the interior kits are specified by the engine. If anyone can help me in that. My understanding is that as long as I have the proper lines running from the engine compartment the interior parts will be good.

Old September 13th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNWOLF View Post
So awesome! I'll email/call tomorrow.

Not sure why the interior kits are specified by the engine. If anyone can help me in that. My understanding is that as long as I have the proper lines running from the engine compartment the interior parts will be good.
Just because the interiors change somewhat through the years. I doubt it matters unless you have a Puma dash.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:22 PM
GRNWOLF
Mike

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Just because the interiors change somewhat through the years. I doubt it matters unless you have a Puma dash.
That's what I was hoping. Thanks. If I have to take a hacksaw to it to make it fit I will.

Old September 13th, 2016, 09:12 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

For the mass reading, what engine does the:
"1. Condenser / under hood kit that includes the hoses $ 999.75 PN 263BL90C"
Fit ???

Old September 13th, 2016, 09:51 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

All I have is it is for a lhd 90. He sent me three complete installation manuals that Sam put in a Dropbox folder (2.5 RHD, 2.5 lhd, 2.4). All 3 manuals list the specific part number for the internal evap/blower, but the same part number for the engine side of things. I infer by that that it at least fits all 2.5 and 2.4 models. I don't see why a v8 or 200 tdi would be much different if you had the correct compressor mounting brackets and associated pulleys.

Does anyone have an idea how to list this on the vendor side of the forum (although I'm not a vendor)? I stumbled upon this misc chit chat thread way back when and I have a feeling that more people would do this if they saw it.
Old September 13th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
All of the engines are completely different, so it can only fit one.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
kit, webasto