Webasto Diavia air conditioning kits, potential group buy - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 30th, 2016, 06:38 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
The kits are either 300tdi or td5. The 300tdi kit should come with everything, so those guys aren't going to have a problem I'd hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2016, 06:43 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Thanks for arranging this guys but I was in at $1k out at $2k... can't get past the aesthetics of this unit.. Much prefer the late style LR/Cool air units with integrated speakers and fan controls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Big Red Dog
Vincent
1985 LR 110 RHD V8

Hello Doug and Steven. I'm afraid I'm out at $2K. I would probably have to spend another $1 K for the installation as I don't have the know how to do the work myself. And The Boss would never approve that level of expenditure.
Thanks again for all your efforts...hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2016, 07:48 AM
GRNWOLF
Mike
1985 Defender ex MOD OM617

Registry
I have a diesel but don't need the compressor. Just everything else.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old August 30th, 2016, 09:00 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
For you all with diesels there is going to be a problem. 200 and 300 a/c compressor mounting is completely different. Getting the parts is a pain. 200 uses a (rather easy to find and cheap) Sanden compressor with single v belt and has a (V8 style) tensioner that goes on a thingy that replaces the timing pump access port on the front cover. Be sure that your crank pulley has the air con pulley on it or you'll need to replace it with one that does. The bracket to mount the compressor is more or less unobtainable now so you may have to fabricate one. You can't order it from anyone but maybe a used parts place in the UK would have it. The 300 uses a Denso 4 groove polyvee belt compressor, a very weird arrangement. All 300s have the crank pulley drive already so there's no special air con version unlike the 200. The pump mounting bracket is available only from Land Rover at an astounding $500. That means either you find one from a breaker's in the UK or make one. The config of the Denso is unique to the Rover diesel, but I found that a very very similar unit was used on bazillions of 4Runners from the late 1990s so there are pumps out there pretty cheap. There is also a front cover mounted tensioner that is different from the 200 one and those are still available and not expensive. If anyone wants specifics of part numbers and other nerdy stuff like that PM me. So yes you can bolt a compressor to your diesel if you want air, but don't think it'll be easy or cheap.
Bill:
There is an under hood AC setup for the 300TDI from the Vendor who also has them for the TD5 and Puma.
I have a set of prototyped AC compressor mounts for the 200TDI.
These are with or without a 200 AMP alternator.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 30th, 2016, 09:48 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Wow good on ya

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 30th, 2016, 09:58 AM
brdhmltn
Brad
1985 110 2.5NA

I don't need compressor / engine side right now. Only interior part RHD. I * was* hoping for more price reduction for a group buy. I can build entire system out of custom hot rod ac parts for less than this money, so I'm waffling a bit. If exchange rates stay low, I may do a 300tdi instead of BMW deisel route i have been planning. Still in the air, sorry for rambling. Staying interior side only for now. Will update earlier post for consistency.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

edit: cant edit previous post, sorry. Interior only RHD for now.
Old August 30th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
IMO, if this becomes a real group buy, then someone needs to clearly show what options are available, their cost and what exactly is included. There is a lot of misunderstanding going on and people are going to end up with kits that do not work with their setup and not be happy.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 30th, 2016, 10:48 AM
GRNWOLF
Mike

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
IMO, if this becomes a real group buy, then someone needs to clearly show what options are available, their cost and what exactly is included. There is a lot of misunderstanding going on and people are going to end up with kits that do not work with their setup and not be happy.
I feel the need for an all inclusive table

Old August 30th, 2016, 11:56 AM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

OK. This is where we are at. post 68 has the link to the manuals. In the manuals, they have a parts list of everything that is included. I think reading the thread should answer your questions. There are three choices

Condenser / under hood kit that includes the hoses $ 999.75 PN 263BL90C
Interior kit for LHD TDI 2.5 $ 1081.11 PN 621BL15100EB
Interior kit for RHD TDI 2.5 $ 981.20 PN 621BL18800EB

I think Robert was working on the brackets on the 200 TDI, but obviously that is his thing..

So, a complete kit will run around $2k. Originally I sent the email, then found out about how they split the costs between the "engine side" and the "interior side". Many people thought the complete kits cost $1k, but then I sent a response asking for people to re-confirm their interest at the different price. I am assuming everyone wants the 2.5 kit listed above. This is what I have so far:

Jafir didn't say what he wanted
Macker LHD + engine side of kit (everything under hood)
Stok3d LHD + engine side
ATX_D110 RHD + engine side
Daddymow LHD + engine side
Elbee RHD + engine side
Capt Milks Qty 3 LHD (just the interior bits)
GRNWolf LHD + engine side

So that adds up to: ( not including what I may order or what Jafir wants)

LHD QTY 7
RHD Qty 2
Engine side Qty 6

When I originally contacted Webasto, they wanted to know an estimate of how many kits I wanted. I told them 20 complete kits (interior and exterior bits) based on the initial thread count, but as you can see it is much less than that ($15k order vs $40k order). I will try and get them to honor the pricing but I needed to know how many people were still interested.

The cost includes shipment to Webasto's offices in Michigan. From there, we are responsible. Since I don't live in Michigan, we would need to arrange for someone to pick them up and mail them off. I'm not sure if I can get them to ship them to me in Austin, then I'll handle mailing them off. Figure several hundred dollars at the most to ship insured. Most likely if we do this, we will do the initial paypal to purchase the units. Then an additional paypal when we find out how much each unit will cost to ship. UGH Does that make sense to everyone?

What I'm worried about is if I call Webasto and they honor pricing, but when the time comes for everyone to pony up, we get 1/2 as many ordered, which might affect the pricing Webasto gives us..

FYI Coolairlogan nicely said that I should go through their US distributor Roversnorth if I am interested in units.
Old August 30th, 2016, 12:15 PM
GRNWOLF
Mike

Registry
Thank you for the summary!

To clarify. I don't need the engine side. I have an OM617 under the hood which will require different setup engine side.

Is there an escrow type service we could use? To make sure the monies go to the right places?

Old August 30th, 2016, 12:24 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

Gotcha. Updated
Old August 30th, 2016, 12:48 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Am working on a center console based Supplemental Heat & AC for the center and rear passengers.
It is one slick compact 5.5 KW unit for heat and AC.
Will post this up on a separate thread when I get some pictures.
I know this is a slight hijack, but worth mentioning.
The Coolair logan rear units are both goofy and not to my liking with those 2 top silly breakable plastic storage compartments.
They are also quite expensive.

IMHO, the standard cubbys in most 5 doors and SWBs are too deep and become a storage area for forgotten junk.
Am working on a completely new cubby that will house the compact AC/Heater unit with 2 rear vents, controls and have a top swing open lid with a 3" to 4" storage cubby on top that is sealed off from the compact heat and AC unit that resides below in a separate compartment.
The cubby top can be removed like a tray that gives maintenance access to the lower compartment that houses the self contained heat and AC unit.
It should supply more than enough heat and AC for the center row and rear passengers in both a LWB and SWB.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old August 30th, 2016, 02:02 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I want everything inside the vehicle and under the hood, lhd. 300tdi seems like the easiest way forward, so I'll go with that.
Old August 30th, 2016, 02:46 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

gotcha.
Old August 30th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Am working on a center console based Supplemental Heat & AC for the center and rear passengers.
It is one slick compact 5.5 KW unit for heat and AC.
Will post this up on a separate thread when I get some pictures.
I know this is a slight hijack, but worth mentioning.
The Coolair logan rear units are both goofy and not to my liking with those 2 top silly breakable plastic storage compartments.
They are also quite expensive.

IMHO, the standard cubbys in most 5 doors and SWBs are too deep and become a storage area for forgotten junk.
Am working on a completely new cubby that will house the compact AC/Heater unit with 2 rear vents, controls and have a top swing open lid with a 3" to 4" storage cubby on top that is sealed off from the compact heat and AC unit that resides below in a separate compartment.
The cubby top can be removed like a tray that gives maintenance access to the lower compartment that houses the self contained heat and AC unit.
It should supply more than enough heat and AC for the center row and rear passengers in both a LWB and SWB.
Interesting.

Any thoughts on including front/side vents for the front seat passengers?
Old August 30th, 2016, 03:12 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8

OK, this is off topic a little, but while we are there. On my 110 I plan on doing the under dash unit for A/C in the front. I"m going to see how that goes in Austin's summer furnace. If I feel like I need more for the back, I am going to swap the battery over to the passenger side (under the seat) and probably turn it sideways (optima) so that I have plenty of room. I measured the current battery compartment and I can fit one of the many smaller A/C / Heat systems in that space with no issues. Plenty of room. I would do some kind of an inflow vent on the forward part of the battery box and I can hide all of the hoses in the transmission tunnel. Then, I would take the 4 - 2" discharge hoses and rig something up that pushes the air in the back, again at the shins of the people back there, but better than nothing.
Old August 30th, 2016, 03:16 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by stancey View Post
OK, this is off topic a little, but while we are there. On my 110 I plan on doing the under dash unit for A/C in the front. I"m going to see how that goes in Austin's summer furnace. If I feel like I need more for the back, I am going to swap the battery over to the passenger side (under the seat) and probably turn it sideways (optima) so that I have plenty of room. I measured the current battery compartment and I can fit one of the many smaller A/C / Heat systems in that space with no issues. Plenty of room. I would do some kind of an inflow vent on the forward part of the battery box and I can hide all of the hoses in the transmission tunnel. Then, I would take the 4 - 2" discharge hoses and rig something up that pushes the air in the back, again at the shins of the people back there, but better than nothing.
Bad idea.
You'll want the cold air blowing directly on you otherwise what you are suggesting will be a hell of a lot of trouble for a unit that barely works to take the edge off by pulling some of the mosture out of the air and dropping the temperature a little...
Even the Nastalgic Air under dash units leave a lot to be desired because the vents do not make it over so the cold air can blow directly at the driver making them useless for less that a 20 or 30 minute drive in hot humid weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l View Post
Interesting. Any thoughts on including front/side vents for the front seat passengers?
None at all.
This is a small 5.5 compact KW unit that will be in cubby between the front seats with the heat or AC blowing to the middle row and rear passengers ONLY.
It works in conjunction with the main AC setup under the dash because it will not be able to cool or heat the entire interior.

Old August 30th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey
1995 RRC LWB & '83 110 HCPU

Registry
I helped isntall a commercial (AKA Back Wall) self contained A/C system in a cab of a tractor a few years back... I think we bought it new for $300 and then plumbed it in. Had to buy compressor, lines, etc. additionally.

Anyone tried one of these as an on-road application? I was contemplating a small unit (like for a truck similar to a semi with a single sleeper cab)

Also curious if these can be laid flat, or taken apart and put into a different case that would fit say, under the bench seats...

Random web photo^ not my install

'95 RRC County
'95 RRC
'01 P38
Old August 30th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Three, Interior kit for LHD TDI 2.5 $ 1081.11 PN 621BL15100EB, Please

Has any contacted some of the builders on the site to see of they want any?
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
kit, webasto