Wanting to Import a 110 200tdi in 2015 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 14th, 2013, 01:58 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Wanting to Import a 110 200tdi in 2015

I am a longtime rover enthusiast, and have owned a number of RRCs and discoverys, and currently have a nice 95 LWB.

I have decided that the perfect vehicle is a Defender 110 200tdi. I am a diesel freak, so I can patiently wait while the 110 200tdis become old enough to import. Couple of questions:

1. Were 110's with 200tdis available in 1990 or 1991? I have read both so I want to confirm.

2. Any trick to bringing in diesel Defenders to California? I had a friend once who told me it is impossible due to some California emission requirements.

3. What should my budget be to find a solid frame / bulkhead 110 200tdi LHD including the cost to import? Don't mind working on it and painting to get it looking good once it gets here.

4. Where should I look? ebay.co.uk? Craigslist in Costa Rica? ebay.de?

I know I'm a tad bit early here in 2013, but I'd like to dream and save while I wait for the magic 25 year mark to roll around.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2013, 07:59 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Please, before Josh's head explodes please use the search function. This topic has been beat to a pulp.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sam sorry but just a bit to overwhelming to answer all of that in pms. Yes a/c was a factory option on the 200tdi and can be fitted. Please spend the time reading on the web and educating yourself.

200Tdi (Engine Code 11L)[edit]

In 1989 Land Rover had launched the Discovery its Range Rover-based family 44 that quickly became Europe's top-selling 44.[58] One of the key reasons for its success was its ground-breaking turbodiesel engine. The 200Tdi was one of the first mass-produced small-capacity (i.e., not a lorry engine) direct-injection diesels,[59] with the attendant improvements in power and efficiency that system brings. Developed under the codename Gemini, the 200Tdi was planned from the start to be used on all Land Rover's products.[12] For production reasons, it had to be machined on the existing machinery, so used the same block and crankshaft as the existing 2.5-litre diesel engines. It also used many ancillary parts used on the older engines.[60][61] However, it was a true break with the past. An aluminium alloy cylinder head reduced weight and noise, a new Bosch injection system gave improved running characteristics and better starting performance. An intercooler boosted power and efficiency further. Lessons learnt from the Diesel Turbo were included, such as the fitment of an inertial separator in the breather system to remove oil before crankcase gases were returned to the air intake. Initially turbocharged and naturally aspirated diesel versions and a carburettor-fed petrol version were to be produced. The direct-injection system meant that only machining of the injector sockets was needed to allow the fitment of spark plugs. However, the performance and economy of the turbodiesel version was such that the other variants were not produced.[12] The 200Tdi was launched in the Discovery in 1989. It was then fitted to the utility Land Rover (renamed the Defender) in late 1990.[62] For this application the engine was slightly de-tuned and, whilst in the Discovery the 200Tdi used all-new components, packaging restraints in the Defender meant that the 200Tdi in this role shared many exterior parts (such as the timing belt system and case) with the Diesel Turbo. Most obviously the turbocharger was retained in the Diesel Turbo's high mounting position on top of the manifolds in the Defender, rather than being tucked under the manifolds in the original Discovery version.[63] In 1992 the engine was fitted to the Range Rover. Although the older petrol and naturally aspirated diesel units were theoretically still available, the 200Tdi had better performance and economy than any of them, and so dominated the sales figures.[64] It is still highly regarded by Land Rover enthusiasts and has established itself as a powerful and long-lived unit that with proper maintenance can exceed 300,000 miles of use.[63][65][66] The engine's commonality with the older models makes it a popular choice for installation in older Land Rovers. This is done both in original form or with the turbo removed (when the engine becomes known to enthusiasts as a 200Di) in order to keep the power/torque output within the limits of a Series Land Rover's gearbox and for greater ease of conversion. The turbocharged version may also be installed with or without the intercooler.
Layout: 4-cylinder, in-line
Block/head: Cast iron/aluminium alloy
Valves: OHV, belt-driven camshaft, push-rod operated
Capacity: 2,495 cc (152.3 cu in)
Bore stroke: 90.47 mm 97 mm (3.562 in 3.8 in)
Compression ratio: 19:1
Fuel injection: Bosch VE rotary pump + Bosch two-stage injectors
Induction: Garrett T25 turbocharger
Power: 111 hp (83 kW) @ 4,250 rpm (Discovery and Range Rover)
107 hp (80 kW) @ 3,900 rpm (Defender)
Torque: 195 lbfft (264 Nm) @ 1,800 rpm (Discovery and Range Rover)
188 lbfft (255 Nm) @ 1,800 rpm (Defender)
Production: 1989–1994
Used in: Land Rover Defender, Discovery and Range Rover

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Spammer, just give your money to Uncle Doug and let him come up with the best truck possible delivered safety to your house.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I actually prefer that individuals choose their own vehicle rather than get in the middle representing a vehicle I have never seen or driven or a seller I have never dealt with. Conversely I have a wealth of information on whom not to deal with, and will assist with a pre-purchase inspection when possible. I do handle everything from the point of sale onward.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old October 15th, 2013, 09:52 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
The turbocharged version may also be installed with or without the intercooler.
I'm not sure who wrote that article, but this sounds wrong to me
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I'm not sure who wrote that article, but this sounds wrong to me
Rover offered the 200tdi as a retrofit kit for earlier diesel models. Many were fitted into series trucks without inter cooler's. Still a huge inprovement even without.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, 200tdi, import, tdi