Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 7th, 2014, 09:18 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Wanted portable 12v pressure washer

I want to wash my mountain bike at the trail head .... because I live in an apartment in NYC and the wife isn't keen on my cleaning the bike in the shower ....

I'm looking for something self contained ... like the examples here ...

http://www.nomad-direct.co.uk/index.php

Anyone have any suggestions?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2014, 09:25 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I want to wash my mountain bike at the trail head .... because I live in an apartment in NYC and the wife isn't keen on my cleaning the bike in the shower ....

I'm looking for something self contained ... like the examples here ...

http://www.nomad-direct.co.uk/index.php

Anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45W-Electric...p2054897.l4276

Or I would consider a backpack yard sprayer (no need for electric)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300940130274?lpid=82
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If going for something like that get the adapter from the power plug to crocodile clips so you can go straight from the battery.

Why blow fuses when you don't have to?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Don't any of the local bike shops have a hose you can use? I wouldn't recommend power washing a bike.

Sorry for the hijack, but is it worth bringing a mountain bike to NYC when I move? I was only thinking of bringing my commuter.
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:39 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Don't any of the local bike shops have a hose you can use? I wouldn't recommend power washing a bike.

Sorry for the hijack, but is it worth bringing a mountain bike to NYC when I move? I was only thinking of bringing my commuter.
I have two bikes that just sit on the wall. If you will have any sort of walk-up it absolutely blows to take them down and bring them up.
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:47 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
I'm looking for something self contained ... like the examples here ... http://www.nomad-direct.co.uk/index.php
You just have to love on-line collaboration on this site.
I am going to buy one of those 12V power washers to wash our dishes and pots and pans when we camp.
Then carry the water source over to the 110 and spray off the mud.

Jason, you are one cool Swangeren!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I have two bikes that just sit on the wall. If you will have any sort of walk-up it absolutely blows to take them down and bring them up.
Ride down the stairs!
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:58 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I have 2 bikes also on the wall ... I have a one floor walkup but i just think of that as part of my work out.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:04 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post

depends ... there is some decent riding around ... but you'll have to drive out somewhere ... if you bring a bike I'll be up for going out on a weekend.

I'm not considering these portables real power washers ... i just want to rinse the mud off ... more of a portable hose.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:28 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
This looks ideal for what I'd use it for.

http://www.nomad-direct.co.uk/video/...rse-Video.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horse spray.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	89264  
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:32 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Jason,
If your mountain bikes are getting that muddy you are really tearing up the land, changing drainage patters and causing great harm to the environment. I see it over and over when I'm off roading or shooting in the desert. These mountain bikes need to be banned or require the owners to have environmental impact training and they should be forced to use super wide, slick tires so the weight of the bike is spread over several square feet and don't leave a rut or pattern in mother earth.
Any cleaning solvents used wouldn't be good for the environment.
Even if you just used high pressure water you would cause undo erosion in the area where you cleaned them or leave an area of pavement a mess, covered in mud.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:33 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Jason,
If your mountain bikes are getting that muddy you are really tearing up the land, changing drainage patters and causing great harm to the environment. I see it over and over when I'm off roading or target shooting in the desert. These mountain bikes need to be banned or require the owners to have environmental impact training and they should be forced to use super wide, slick tires so the weight of the bike is spread over several square feet and don't leave a rut or pattern in mother earth.
Even if you just used high pressure water you would cause undo erosion in the area where you cleaned them or leave an area of pavement a mess, covered in mud.

I really think his wife wants him to be washed off before he comes into the house.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:40 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I really think his wife wants him to be washed off before he comes into the house.
Quote:
"wife isn't keen on my cleaning the bike in the shower ...."
It's the muddy, earth destroying bike, not him.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:45 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

A simple 45psi washdown pump would suffice. I used one with my onboard shower in the old 88".
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:46 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Quote:
Jason,
If your mountain bikes are getting that muddy you are really tearing up the land, changing drainage patters and causing great harm to the environment. I see it over and over when I'm off roading or shooting in the desert. These mountain bikes need to be banned or require the owners to have environmental impact training and they should be forced to use super wide, slick tires so the weight of the bike is spread over several square feet and don't leave a rut or pattern in mother earth.
What?

You go through one mud puddle and next thing you know, boom, your bike is muddy. Heck my road bike got filthy the other day just from all the sand on the road and a few still wet spots.

If it were TRULY muddy like you are talking about, then the mud would pack into the rear cassette and rear derailluer. I've seen it. Usually walk out after that.

However back on topic. I have a feeling you just need a bit of water and not like, 5,000 psi. I remember reading in a 4x4 mag a many moons ago about converting the windshield washer pump to a regular water pump to clean off radiators. With that in mind, you could probably go to a junkyard and pull a washer pump off of a truck or something and use that. Maybe you could find one off of a bus or 5 ton truck or something that would put out a lot more volume and pressure.

If you carried enough hose to drop into a creek or something like that, that would also be awesome but a 5 gal can should be enough...I think.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:48 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Here's your portable solution.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8571_200578571

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Bgal%2Bsprayer
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
This looks ideal for what I'd use it for.

http://www.nomad-direct.co.uk/video/...rse-Video.html
Wish I had that for my kids when they were younger!
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:02 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Jason,
great points and i totally agree .... don't get me wrong, i'm not dragging the trail back with be ... it picks up some dirt and i want to clean it so it can go into our primary living space.

I ride on specific mountain bike trails that are managed and maintained, limiting impact to the wider area.

as for cleaning products ... i favor naturally bio-degradable products like citric acid and elbow grease.
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:09 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
So your looking for a portable bike douche? Well, cleanliness is next to godliness.

-Jeff
Yep!

I have a place to wash the bike today but if i buy a new place it probably wont have that.
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:14 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Jason,
Interesting perspective and I do not disagree when directed to people who do abuse the trails.

I was in the mountain bike scene for 10 years in the SF bay area. Our group respected the trails knowing their use was a privilege. Many of the trails were shared by hikers and horse riders. But we would hear the same destroying the environment arguments and the reality is the horse folks are better financed. End result? Trails were banned to mountain bikes and horse trails expanded to a degree.

Which do you think tears up the trails more, mountain bikes or horses? Answer - horses.
Which do you think fills up the parking lots and leave the bigger toxic footprint post ride? Answer - horses and their 1-ton diesel trucks and trailers.

Things got ugly when the few hikers and horse riders started laying down 2x4s embedded with nails in targeted areas in the few remaining mountain bike trails ....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
wanted