Wanna buy a Porsche... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Aosias,

I have a friend who, at one point, wanted to sell his 88-89 (can't remember but it has the G50 box) convertible. It was gold and in pretty nice shape. If you're interested I can ask him if he still wants to sell. I'm pretty sure it's going to be in the 20's-30's. Not sure if that's in your budget or not.

One thing I'd do is make sure you find a way to get your wife out on a test drive. See if you can find a dealer who has an older 911- probably more likely to be a coupe. Not sure if she's driven one before but they are not the easiest cars to drive. The first time she enters a corner and brakes in the middle of it (as she may do in her all-wheel-drive BMW) she's going to be very surprised...then you're going to have a convertible 911 which might be difficult to unload as it caters to a niche market.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Aosias IS the wife.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
Aosias,

I have a friend who, at one point, wanted to sell his 88-89 (can't remember but it has the G50 box) convertible. It was gold and in pretty nice shape. If you're interested I can ask him if he still wants to sell. I'm pretty sure it's going to be in the 20's-30's. Not sure if that's in your budget or not.

One thing I'd do is make sure you find a way to get your wife out on a test drive. See if you can find a dealer who has an older 911- probably more likely to be a coupe. Not sure if she's driven one before but they are not the easiest cars to drive. The first time she enters a corner and brakes in the middle of it (as she may do in her all-wheel-drive BMW) she's going to be very surprised...then you're going to have a convertible 911 which might be difficult to unload as it caters to a niche market.
We've moved on to bigger, better and slower things around here. There's no braking in my driving- just accelerating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:53 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

I give the '83-'87 targas/cabriolets a thumbs up.

• In '83 you get the last year of the SC, clearly a pretty refined 911. Mine had AC, PW, and enough creature-comforts. By now, any head stud problems are probably sorted out on almost any car you look at. I wouldn't be put off by high mileage. They've most likely had at least a top end job done, and the 3.0 engine is bulletproof and will run forever if maintained and driven. These things need to be driven or the seals from the oil-cooled engine start to go bad and leak all over your garage floor. The targa top can be loud at speed (if it's on) but it's one of those iconic cars you have to smile at.

• Starting in '84 you get a 'Carrera' with a slightly bigger engine, a cabriolet top as an option but mostly the same car. in '87 you get a better transmission.

I would say depending on budget, a clean high-mile '83 or the comparable '87 would certainly feed your 911 fix.

Jerod
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
I want a convertible and in an ideal world it would go up and down on it's own. Is this an option for the 1980's cars?
As an option, yes. You won't find a Cab older than '83. The original 83's Cabriolet top was manual only. IMHO Cabs are more desirable than Targas.

Quote:
Are there any flags/areas to be extra careful of in looking at these cars? What is the best forum for Porsche?
AFAIK, it's all engine and gearbox with 1980+ 911's. Check for oil leaks, adequate oil pressure and synchros. Everything else on these cars is pretty solid. I second the Pelican Parts forum (and their shop too - they helped me find panel parts for my E46 seats a while back.)
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

If you end up with an <'89 let me know - I have a bunch of Porsche books and manuals for that era, cheap!
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

Porsche

X2 on using Pelican Parts forum- there are some good folks on there and a lot of knowledge to be sifted through. I had a '90 964 C4 that I sold last year- great car. Early 964s were built without a head gasket. Some developed leaks and were sometimes retrofitted with a gasket at a fair expense. Others never leaked a drop- mine included. Seriously one of the driest, cleanest engine compartments I've ever seen in any vehicle.

I liked the idea of a convertible, but stuck with a coupe. There 's just too much crime and rain here in Seattle for soft tops in my opinion.

Regarding rebuilt motors, I think you just have to do some research and find out who did the rebuild and what their reputation is- you could be getting into a disaster or a motor that you can drive for another 100k.

I'd highly recommend paying for a PPI. Find out who in your area knows their stuff and contact them and see what it will cost- usually a couple hundred that could save you thousands down the road.

My $.02

-Gardner
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

I second the PPI remark. I live in the Denver area and can hook you up with a good, honest mechanic- he used to do all of the work on my 930 before I sold it- I miss that car
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There's a pretty sweet 1980 Porsche 911SC Weissach Sunroof Coupe with 44k miles by where I grew up. Probably not the best price (and on the wrong side of the country), but figured I'd share.

pics:
http://www.stableltd.com/viewImages.aspx?id=951

info:
http://www.stableltd.com/inventory.aspx?id=951
Old July 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Man that's a pretty 911, ahhh to be young and single again.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat