Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
VW Westfalia

I'm looking into getting one of those VW westfalia buses with the poptop tent. Any of you guys have any experience with these cars to let me know what to look for when checking them out? I'm looking specifically at the 68-79 year range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

These sites will have the answers to your questions:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_category.php?id=58

http://www.busdepot.com/

We own a 03 Westy but know a few friends with Bus/Vanagons
Old November 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
nice....these should be perfect. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I owned a 1970 VW Westfalia....actually i still think i own it but Im not sure. I drove it cross country in 94' and it broke down because my stupid college roommate wanted to go visit Durango. The bus was already hurting and I knew it was a mistake but we braved the mountain climbs and limped into Durango in the middle of a freezing December night. There was and maybe still is a guy on the outskirts of Durango that repairs VWs on his farm. Looks like a VW graveyard. Anyway I left my bus there in 94 swearing I would be back when i had enough money to fix it because you cant live in LA without a car. I lost touch with the guy but I would love my VW back. That thing was awesome.

Follow-up Post:

Abeer you inspired me and you wont believe this but i have after 15 years located my bus! Took all of about a half hour of serious googling to find the guy. My van is still there and he is going to give me a quote to get her back on the road!!! My wife is going to kill me when this thing shows up!
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Abeer you inspired me and you wont believe this but i have after 15 years located my bus! Took all of about a half hour of serious googling to find the guy. My van is still there and he is going to give me a quote to get her back on the road!!! My wife is going to kill me when this thing shows up!
This is a great story. When you get it back, put a D-90 source sticker on the back and keep us up to date on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 19th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
No kidding. Amazing it is still there. Ah, nothing like the lifespan of a sidelined project. For the record, if space was never an issue I would still have every car i've ever owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
This is a great story. When you get it back, put a D-90 source sticker on the back and keep us up to date on it.
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I certainly will. This is crazy Im still sitting here quite amazed that I managed to find it after all this time. I thought for sure it would of been parted out long ago.
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Wow thats amazing. Please post pics when you get it back.
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
You live in LA...Ill come over and show it to you!
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
I had an 81 for many years. great times. 4 times cross the country and many many trips to J Tree and other Climbing spots.
Call Joe At Europro in Costa Mesa CA (949)642-3872
He will most likely have what you are looking for. Do you know bout the Syncro they are an off road 4x4 Westy. my buddy drives one he had the engine replaced with a 2002 GTI imported from south America it's a CA car that has been approved by DOT although it took him years.
Check out http://www.syncro.org/
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjekogian
Do you know bout the Syncro they are an off road 4x4 Westy.
I know a guy who has two of these. Pretty cool, and quite capable as well.

Follow-up Post:

Wow, just read the bit I missed about you finding your bus. Unbelievable.

I haven't tried, but doubt I'd ever find my 69 Opel GT my dad got rid of while I was in basic training. He had to get rid of it in a hurry because the HOA came down on him (it was broken down parked at the side of the house for too long I guess). Loved that car.
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Like i said i hadnt tried either but found it literally in about 30 mins. The power of the internet is scary sometimes. It seems you can find anything or anyone if you look in the right places.
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Great strory ,John. How about some pics as sits now, so we can see how she has weathered the years?

Did you guys here about the 60's microbus that just surfaced after being stolen in the early seventies? Freaky.

Anyway, very slow, but very cool vehicles.
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:13 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
I have no idea what she looks like now but Ill ask the guy for pics when he calls me back with the estimate. If anyone lives near Durango maybe you can check her out!

I heard about the stolen bus the found in a container bound for Germany. Thats a cool story.

They are very very slow. I remember getting passed by 18 wheelers going up the mountains to durango and we would get blown all over the road by their draft.
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Here's our new toy, a 57 BUS we are going to use for marketing...it gets more attention than my D90. People flock to it and always have a story, as where they get out of the way of The D90. I like the getting out of the way part myself...

Peace Man,

T

PS-Great Story, I wonder if i can find all the rides the cop'ers took years back...hmmm
Attached Images

Old November 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
I wonder where my Maggie went last I saw her driving away and the kid said he was taking her on a trip to south America. I don't think she would have made it. I urged him to take her to a mechanic I hope he did!!!!! I will have to try to find her anyone seen her. last seen in Laguna Beach CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VW Camper2_2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	23107  
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The coolest of the VW buses are the dormobiles. There is a complete rust bucket 1964 on ebay that is missing half the seats that has a current bid of 300ukp.
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

A lot can happen to a vehicle sitting outside for fifteen years. The climate in Durango is probably kinder than most, but that still is a long time. Did the guy sound happy to hear from you? Was he suprised? Do you think maybe he used it as a parts car? Would not blame him. Heck, I can't believe he did not put a storage lien on it.

Tim, that 57 is wicked cool.
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
It was already pretty rough. I bought if for 600 bucks. Its amazing it made it that far. You know whats funny is the guy couldnt of sounded more excited to hear from me. He and his wife were incredibly nice. My two friends and I had been on the road trying to get from RI to CA for two months in this thing. It had no heat and no floor board on the passenger side. Just a rubber mat we screwed in to cover the hole. We showed up in Durango in the middle of the night frozen stiff and hungry. We found a payphone and started looking for a vw repair shop in the yellowpages. We started calling just to make sure they were still in business before limping over to one. Anyway this guy answered the phone in the middle of the night. I couldnt believe it. He said come over now and we will look at the bus in the am.
So he invited 3 perfect strangers into his house in the middle of the night while his wife cooked us dinner. Best nights sleep i had in two months. I started the conversation today by saying you wont remember me and if do I bet I owe you a lot of money in storage.....
He said I had made his day and I dont owe him a dime... the bus is sitting next to about 40 other VWs that never made it out of Durango on the way to CA...
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:56 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

VW (especially bus) people are sort of like rover people. They always have more than one, and tend to be really nice to other members of the cult.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat