Volvo Grp A Homolgated Car - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 25th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie
Volvo Grp A Homolgated Car

O.k. to get to my defender I had to dispose of 3 fully restored 1983 Volvo 2 doors that were called flathoods. They made 500 or so of these shipped them to the U.S. took the sactioning body on a few rides in the "true race" prep cars and then sent the sactioning body on its way with the full approval for group A racing. It was a farce and Volvo got nailed. Anyway the 500 or so 440 autos and 60 sticks were distributed to the U.S. dealerships in late 1983 when the 1984 were out. Notice the hood is flat and has a silver grill. Nothing else on the car was special except for it was factory intercooled. I picked this one up for $1,400 (it was #2 of the heard of 3 of these). Anyway I spent the next few years (this was in the early 2000s) scouring the globe for all of Volvo race division parts (Called R sport) that were no longer in existence. This included seat covers, specialty valved shocks, the rear spoiler (which this was an original made by a U.K company) and did the resto on it. Well after I picked up #3 which was silver, it was hard to maintain a fleet of 3 KJet 240s and I pretty much got every R sport piece I could find. The went up for sale and those nutty Norwiegen's who never got anything more then the bottom line 240s contacted me through a broker and bought 2 (the red and black one) for subsequent shipment back to Norway. I can't figure how much money and time I lost on these but hence they had to go to get my 90. Just thought I would share. Volvo went on later to win the Group A cup before it complete dropped their entire racing program I think in 88. One of the Norweigen's who bought it sent me a picture in some type of showroom of it. Hee hee I know were the damage is on the front inner driver's fender not to mention all the other mods that I did to it. In the end it was still was not a very fast car off the line with an auto and a 7.5 to 1 ratio (so you could run more boost).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	past life 242.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	68965  

Old March 25th, 2013, 02:12 AM
72 + D1 drivetrain
I recall my now FIL had two Volvos 240s at that time. Drove one from Miami to New Orleans.
Thing was so slow I was grateful for the lack of hills in Florida. Don't think it would have made it up any hill.

Old March 25th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,96 D1 5speed,08 RRS
I think my brother had one of those in LA. I didn't think it was that fast, but it reminded me of my mom's '89 745 Turbo with 5 speed. Now that was a fun wagon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat