Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Ban xe ham muon tot nhat phan:

BTW, spell-check found a few problems too, but I am still confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2004, 12:28 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

That's intended for Paul dood. (vietnamese)
Old April 4th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

AHH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2004, 01:57 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

Wicks,

I sent ya an email some time back about your post, cuz I was mightily impressed with your vn skillz (or that u knew vn). But I see from a lot of posts that people sometimes don't get emails sent from the system. I never got a reply from u.

In any case, it's a little embarrassing cuz I myself can't read vietnamese! (how's that for irony). I've been totally whitewashed here in the midwest. I did check with a vn friend of mine, and she kinda got the jist of your sentence, although it's hard to really know without the punctuation marks

So, do u really know vn (and how?!)
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:15 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

No, I don't know VN Paul. My girl is from Saigon (whole family relocated here cuz grandpa was a republican general in the war), so I have a little bit of VN lingo. I get help from a software course I'm doing in the language.

I am quite fascinated by VN culture (and politics). We are planning a trip there in October. I wonder how it will be to go visit her old house which is now a confiscated commie compound of course.

No I don't believe the email made it through. There was a problem with EarthLink's blocking mail from here (their anti-spam tech is a little spotty).

So you must be second generation immigrant. How'd your family get here?
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:57 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

very interesting...

no, i'm actually a 1st generation. came here when i was 10 (i'm 33 now). but like i said, completely whitewashed from growing up the only vn in my area. picked up english and completely lost vn from not speaking it that much and never writing/reading it. so, it's a source of embarrassment now that i don't even know my native language amongst my peoples. but oh well.

so, i take it you like pho a lot? vn food is da bomb - always fresh and healthy.

anyway, you got an interesting story there. u didn't actually meet your girl in saigon, did u? i've never been back to vn myself, but do plan on going hopefully soon. it's a beautiful country and i hear it's totally changed (i.e. westernized), in spite of those damn commies.

this is getting completely off thread, but just to put another twist into the story, i've actually been thinking about moving to the Pasadena area, maybe Glendale. i know pasadena, but not glendale (ibm has an office there - i work for ibm). how's glendale? maybe i'll run into u in the future and we can go for some pho (down in OC of course, where the vn are).
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:05 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Yes on VN cuisine. Awesome. The best. I dig the bun bo hue and even the bahn chung.

No, met her in Pasadena. Small world eh? I'd recommend Pasadena and/or Glendale, depending on lifestyle choices. I'd rather live down in Los Feliz where I used to be (more cultured area), but real estate market shifts convinced me to sell there and buy here. I would be happy to give you area pointers and so forth. I live in a canyon that is directly between Glendale and Pasadena, which is rather unknown to real estate shoppers unless they have a local agent. There are only a couple hundred homes in the canyon and there are 4 Defenders. I didn't know IBM was in town - what division?

Definitely down for a dining excursion if you make the migration. We go to different places in Westminster (little saigon) about every time I go down there.
Old April 7th, 2004, 11:14 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

Small world, indeed. My ex-g lives (or at least used to) right on the edge of LA/Pasadena, so I've been to Pasadena several times and like it a lot. I like it up there a little better than down in the Westminster/Garden Grove/OC area. Just more greenery (trees, mountains, etc), more fresh air, it seems like. "A canyon between Glendale and Pasadena" sounds right up my alley, so I would love to get some real estate pointers if I indeed move out there.

IBM's EAD (Enterprise App Development) West group is out of Glendale, as well a mobile and sales office.

I also have a friend who lives in Westminster, so I know Little Saigon very well too. Love the food every time I visit there - I chow like there's no tomorrow. Chicago just ain't the same for vn food. I was just down there 2 weeks ago, as a matter of fact, for a visit.

Well, even though I started this thread, I think we've hijacked it enough. Give me a holler at my yahoo email if ur ever in Chicago. paul_huynh at yahoo.com

chao anh (ok, i can write some vn, but like a 10 yr old)
Old April 8th, 2004, 04:02 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Cool on everything area-wise, but negative on fresh air. Pasadena is rated one of the worst air quality areas in all of So Cal. It has to do with the direction of breezes running up through LA and then hitting that sheer wall of mountain back behind Pasadena and neighboring cities. No drain. Where the @#$ is nano tech so we can have bots eating this shit so we don't have to.

Anyway, Glendale is a little better as it has air that actually moves through. But most of OC (along the coast there) is much better air.

Yes, let's stay in touch on the chow in either city. Anh di hoc tieng viet, so maybe I can teach you some basics then.

Tam biet.
Old April 8th, 2004, 04:31 PM
scrover
Steve Cooper
93 RRC LWB

That's some cunning lingo there Wicks

SC
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:25 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

The man is impressive. Take it from me, vietnamese is a very difficult language and a bitch to learn how to speak properly. My sister is married to a whitey ( no disrepect intended) and he don't know squat of vn.

I guess Wicks must really be in love . J/k. it's always cool to see Americans embrace other cultures.
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:39 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Geez thanks Paul. I'm not that good, believe me. Easier to compose some words in writing than speak. I have been practicing the six dau so I can try to "sing" the words properly.

Yeah, it is a bit rough with the family (the ones who don't speak so much English), and her grandfather asked her point blank after I met him, "You want to marry an American?". I think they are continually dissapointed by the disruption of their future, including this type of thing. I don't just want to learn VN, I need to.
Old April 10th, 2004, 02:44 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

Quote:
Originally posted by wicks
Yeah, it is a bit rough with the family (the ones who don't speak so much English), and her grandfather asked her point blank after I met him, "You want to marry an American?". I think they are continually dissapointed by the disruption of their future, including this type of thing. I don't just want to learn VN, I need to.
I wouldn't take it personally, unless you've heard them call u 'cho de' or say 'du ma may' to u (for the vn-challenged, these mean son of a beatch and mofo, respectively)

If it's any comfort, this happens between Asians too - i.e. different nationalities. I don't remember my ex-g's Korean parents exactly throwing a party when they met me. It's just a matter of the parents wanting to be able to communicate to their potential children in laws, esp if those said parents don't speaka english.

But the fact that you want to learn vn and are taking the initiative to embrace the culture and them (the onus is on u man, as I'm sure u know) show you got a good heart and I'm sure they see that.

Take it easy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat