Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 30th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Visiting Michigan

My wife is dragging our 1 year old son and myself up to Michigan at the end of July to visit some of her family. We'll be between Grand Rapids and almost to Detroit for a week, mostly around Lansing. I've never been up there and was curious what all there is to do. What sights do you all recommend, places to see or not see, parks, entertainment, anything Rover related...?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2015, 11:36 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
I'd love to take you around. PM sent.
Old May 31st, 2015, 07:43 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
You could visit Johan's rover import distribution center.

Your visit is Good reason for a coffee or happy hour meet up. Could do ann arbor.

Feel free to pm for some ideas and connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2015, 07:56 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
There's tons to do, and that's a great time of year to be in michigan. I was born and raised in Lansing, lived in Detroit for 10 years and spent most of my free time in Grand Rapids. PM me the dates, and I'd be happy to pass a list along. (You should also add trips to both Lake Michigan and Huron (or Lake St. Clair since you'll be in Detroit) to your lists. Holland in the west, and Belle Isle on the east. (Belle isle is hosting a Grand Prix this wknd, on NBC)
Old May 31st, 2015, 12:57 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

I believe we are flying up on July 23rd and returning on the 30th. I'm trying to get my wife to get her passport before then so we can drive up to Toronto to look around. I'm sure I'll have little time to myself so whatever we do needs to be accommodating to a 1 year old in a stroller. I saw that there are several parks and a zoo around Lansing and there's some island up North that my wife wants to go visit. I also saw there are several breweries around.

I'd be more than willing to poke out for a coffee happy hour that weekend in Ann Arbor if that's of interest to you guys up there.

Old May 31st, 2015, 09:54 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

The Toledo Zoo IMO is by far better than The Detroit Zoo but a must is the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village if you can swing it.
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:02 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Miller's Bar for the best burgers! Dearborn on Michigan Ave...great to go to after Henry Ford and Greenfield village...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:20 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
X2 on Millers! Is the island she wants to visit Mackinaw Island? If so, I highly recommend it!! Toledo zoo is better than Detroit's. Catch a LugNuts baseball game in Lansing, tour my alma mater Michigan State. (I'll put together a few more thoughts.)
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:41 AM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Founders Brewery is in Grand Rapids and isn't a bad place to grab a beer and bar food. Tons (too many) breweries around Michigan to visit.

+1 for Millers if you're in that neck of the woods but don't go out of your way. Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum are pretty awesome and nearby there. If you are into burgers, Redcoat Tavern has a much better one in my opinion.

+1 for Mackinac Island for sure. There are sights along the way if you head up north too, like Frankenmuth.

-1 for the Detroit Zoo unless you're really bored and don't mind wasting money.
Old June 1st, 2015, 02:53 PM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by icnsltmfg View Post
Miller's Bar for the best burgers! Dearborn on Michigan Ave...great to go to after Henry Ford and Greenfield village...

That is a wonderful suggestion Miller's Bar is an institution. No menu, no plates (the ground rounds are served on wax paper), honor system to pay at the bar when you are done, and cash only.

Have to have the ground rounds (burgers) - anything more than medium (wife)/medium rare (me) is a waste [we cringed last time we were there when the lady next to us ordered "medium well" ], ask for onion slices (pickles are on the table), get an order of fries and one of onion rings to share. That for two and a couple of drafts is around 20-ish, IIRC.

(got to go again, soon - it's been too long!!!)

If the weather is fine, do the village, if not, then do the museum...

It would be hard to do both in one day; not to mention a bit pricey.
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:00 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
My IIA is for sale locally as well if you decide you'd rather buy than rent transportation while you're in town.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:19 AM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
This place in Grand Rapids is pretty cool too: http://www.grautogallery.com/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat