Visiting England and Europe many questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Visiting England and Europe many questions

Looks like I will be visiting England from August 21th – 25th (21st and 22nd in London 23 – 25th in Bath)

I have the ability to extend my trip through September 5th and have been considering catching a plane to Europe. This will be my first trip to Europe but I have traveled quite a bit to other countries (Mostly Latin America and the Caribbean) however I am not familiar with travel in Europe and have many questions.

What are the must see places in London (Big Ben, Tower bridge, Westminster abbey, Globe theater)

What should I plan on seeing in Bath (Stonehenge)

If I were to fly out on the 25th to Europe where should I go and what should I see? I have been considering Germany, Switzerland, France (probably Paris) and Italy. How much can I see in the amount of time I have and what would be the best to see?

Is it worth buying a europass and traveling from place to place or should I just pick 1 place and stay put?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurail

Any recommendations or tips that anyone can share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Take lots of money. London is one of the most expensive places in the world...

Have fun, there is always too much to see and never enough time.
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The torture museum is a bit twisted, but interesting how we treat our brethren.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There's also a torture museum in Rothenburg Germany - really twisted stuff!

If you are the outdoorsy type, fly into Munich, and take the RegioBahn to the Garmisch Partenkirchen area (or better yet, across the border into Austria). Spend a few days hiking "hut to hut." You can do some searches and plan a good route. The "huts" are more like mini-hotels spread every few miles though the Alps. Its so great to hike for a few hours and then stop for great food and beer. If you are into that sort of thing, it will be the best vacation you've ever had.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 6th, 2009, 11:07 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Take the train beetween London and Paris, one time experience !
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:47 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Dave I second the Munich - Salzburg area. So much to see. Get a cheap flight to Munich and then ride the trains. I lived in Germany for several years and can give you some ideas. I still have some travel guides etc that you're welcomed to borrow.

J.P. Crouse
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:58 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

British Museum and the various RAF museums were my favorites.
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Prague is wonderful and much less expensive than Paris etc. Czech Rep. is great with beautiful scenery and the people actually like Americans! As for London it is the best city in the world plenty to do and see. Museums are great, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben Parliament. Take a Thames river cruise from Westminster bridge to Greenwich. Believe it or not the double decker tourist buses are a great way to see London. Harrods is a must see. the food halls are awe inspiring. also Fortnum and Mason on Piccadilly st. If you like a good cigar Cubans can be had at Daividoff, Dunhill, Harrods,Selfridges, and JJ fox. All but Harrods and Selfridges are near Piccadilly and St james st in Mayfair.

have fun choose your hotel wisely. the two star three star system there is not the same as ours. some three star hotels can be real dumps. I would extend the trip if posible to allow plenty of time. take the train to Scotland if time permits
Old August 7th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

Hey Dave,

Bath is a nice place. Stonehenge is good but is just as good viewing from the side of the road. Give me a shout if you dont have a car in Bath and want to go see Stonehenge.

James
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

UK is a nice place to visit I was there last year did everything as listed above (by Todd). Also went to Switzerland (went to Mt Pilatus), Heidelburg Germany, Paris (seen Moulin Rouge, Eiffel Tower, Louvre, etc...) and Amsterdam - awesome place to visit especially the Red Light district!

Follow-up Post:

Taken last year near Buckingham Palace
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Ticket has been changed to the following

20th Leave Denver
21st Arrive in London Heathrow (early AM)
22nd Part of the day in London then have to go to Bath
23rd Bath
24th Bath
25th Wife flys back to US from Heathrow (Around Noon) not sure what I will do this day, I can either spend more time in London or take off from there for my next destination (possibly Paris or ???)
26th ???
27th ???
28th ???
29th ???
30th ???
31st ???
1st ???
2nd ??? Rome???
3rd ??? Rome
4th ??? Rome
5th Fly out of Rome Italy to Denver CO

Paris 1 1 ˝ or 2 days? Or more?
Rome At least 2 days maybe more?
Venice?
Florance?
Pisa?
More time in the UK??
????

Red,

Fortunately the London / Bath potion of the trip is partially covered by the company so that should ease the pain a little

Scott,
Where is the torture museum that you are talking about is it the London Dungeon? I have had several people tell me that there is one in Rothenberg that is awesome but I am not sure I will make it to Gremany.

Jim,
Not much of a hiker I have heard that the Torture museum in Rothenberg is really cool still trying to decide what countries to visit but it I make it to Germany I might try to get there. Will they allow you to take pictures? I will be by myself but would like to share photos with my wife if I do go.

Julien,
Thanks for the tip, I am going to take it from London to Paris based on your recommendation. It would cost less to fly (crazy how cheap flights are in the EU) but like you said it will be something to experience at least once in my life.

John,
I might take you up on that if I end up planning to go to Germany. I have always wanted to go there as that is where my father was born, he was born in Bonn and adopted by my grand parents while serving in the US Air Force during the war. Unfortunately I have no family history other than his name at birth so I can not really look up any relatives while there. My only hesitation of visiting Germany is that several people have told me that there is not much to do / see there as most of the old cool stuff was destroyed in the war and once you have seen one castle you have seen them all (their words)

Ron,
Thanks for the tip on the British Museum, any more details like location for the RAF Museums?

Todd,
Thanks for all of the tips, many of the places you mentioned will be on my list. Prague sounds cool I will have to look into that some more.

James,
My wife will be working and I need to find something to do on Sunday and Monday, do you have any other recommendations for the Bath area? I will not have a car so places that you can take a bus, tour or train? Correct me if I am wrong but you are the person that polished and installed one of my skid plates on your 50th?

Lee,
Paris is on the list, I want to visit the Louvre and the Eiffel tower. Beyond that I am not sure what else to do and will probably only spend a day or two there at the most. Not sure about Amsterdam, I will have to research it more and see what there is to do around the area as I have only heard about the drug culture and that is not something I am looking for.
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Well, I will probably catch all kinds of flak for this list, but here is my list of shops and pubs etc that I like. Obviously we may have different tastes but here it is anyway. As you can see shopping or window shopping is high on my list. most all of these are in Mayfair Westminster area. easy walking area. and I highly recommend Prague especially if you are on your own.

PENHALIGONS excellent British perfume and cologne- BURLINGTON ARCADE. AND CORNER OF BROOK AND
PICCADILLY.
HATCHARDS BOOKSHOP—187 PICCADILLY

DAVIDOFF- CIGARS---- 35 ST JAMES’S STREET

JJ FOX & ROBERTS CIGARS --- 19 ST JAMES’S STREET

DUNHILL CIGARS----- JERMYN STREET

THOMAS PINK Shirts– 85 JERMYN STREET

CHARLES TYRWHITT Shirts= 92 JERMYN ST

FORTNUM AND MASON FOOD CANDY ETC--- 181 PICADILLY CORNER OF DUKE AND JERMYN

HAMLEYS TOY STORE—188 REGENT STREET

SELFRIDGES LARGE DEPT STORE—400 OXFORD ST.

HOLLAND AND HOLLAND GUNS CLOTHES – 31 BRUTON ST WIJ6HH

STRATSTONE LAND ROVER OF MAYFAIR—14 BERKELEY STREET.

HARRODS- BROMPTON RD

WILLIAM EVANS GUNSMITH--------- 67A ST JAMES’S STREET.

TRICKERS SHOES AND BOOTS --- ---67 JERMYN STREET. OR 117 NEWGATE ST. EC17F

FARLOWS—PALL MALL.

BERETTA- GUNS CLOTHES-- 36 ST JAMES’S ST

PURDEY SHOTGUNS ----- 84 MOUNT ST

WEST LONDON SHOOTING SCHOOL SHARVEL LANE, WEST END ROAD, NORTHOLT MIDDLESEX UB56RA

PHONE 02088451377

WINDSOR CASTLE FARM SHOP, WINDSOR CASTLE

BORUOGH MARKET EXCELLENT MARKET WITH ALL KINDS OF FOODS. ON SAT. SUN. SOUTH SIDE OF THAMES RIVER NEAR TOWER BRIDGE

LONDON PUBS

GEORGE INN –BOROUGH HIGH STREET. ACROSS THE RIVER FROM TOWER OF LONDON. VERY OLD EXCELLENT PLACE

RED LION PUB—48 PARLIAMENT STREET.

RED LION OLDEST PUB—CROWN PASSAGE KING STREET ST JAMES’S.

AUDLEY IN MAYFAIR—CHILD FRIENDLY NEAR US EMBASSY ON MOUNT STREET.

THE GRENADIER GOOD FOOD. WILTON ROW NEAR BELGRAVIA SQUARE HYDE PARK CORNER. GREAT PUB SUNDAY BLOODY MARYS

THE GUINEA- 30 BRUTON PLACE

WINDSOR CASTLE PUB—SMOKE FREE 114 CAMPDEN HILL RD NO CHILDREN.

AQUARIUM WESTMINSTER BRIDGE RD.

US EMBASSY UPPER GROSVENOR STREET.

Old August 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Dave,
lol we came up with a term "castled out" after seeing a few.

One of the really cool things we did was a cruise tour of the Rhine river. There are boats that go up and down all day. It's called the KD line (Koln-Dusseldorfer). The trip from Cologne to Mainz is really worth it. You can hop out and explore and just get the next boat. There are vineyards, castles, and cool little towns the whole way.
John
Old August 8th, 2009, 04:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"Ron,
Thanks for the tip on the British Museum, any more details like location for the RAF Museums?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_Museum

There is one you can get to via the tube from london.

Also worth going to harrods the dept. store just to see it.
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:05 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I'm not too far from Stonehenge (about 40 mins drive) but plenty of off roading from Swindon out to Larkhill area (where Stonehenge is) so if you fancy a day/half day in my 110, just shout!
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
If you go to Italy, there are so many places to see, Vatican City, Coliseum, Fontana di Trevi, ( close to Rome ), if you have a car there ( recommended - but please don't drink and drive they are ruthless at that ) Torino , Firenze, close drive.

If you choose to see some good artwork ..MARANELLO *LOL*
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
take the train to Scotland if time permits
Ditto this recomendation. ScotRail from either Edinburg or Glasgow to Inverness. Awesome way to see central Scotland.The ride from London to either city is supposed to great as well through Cumbria etc.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 9th, 2009, 09:52 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Since you will be in Italy I would spend the time outside of Rome in Tuscany. You can take the train up to Florence for a day from there. I spent a week in Cortona a couple of years ago, we rented a villa and took day trips from there to the surrounding area. Cortona itself is gorgeous, a walled ancient Etruscan City State perched on top of a hill overlooking the Chianti Plain.
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Dave,

The Torture museum was not far from London Bridge. I was on a double-decker bus, when I passed it, so I got off on at the next stop, walked across London Bridge and down to the Museum.

I did a google search but nothing showed up. It was not in the Tower of London, it was on the side of the road with a yellow sign. Maybe one of the UK guys could chime in with more detail. It was well worth the visit and time.

Scott

Old August 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
If you extend your trip, look into taking the eurostar over to Paris. If you haven't been it's worth at least like 3 days of checking out all the sites and museums. Can be done fairly cheaply at the last minute. You can get their tube day pass and get around quickly and easily. Also easy to go check out Versailles which is very cool as well.

I visited Bath quasi recently. The Roman baths were pretty cool. Lots of good restaurants and many good photos to be had around the city.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat